Twin Trunk or Informal Upright?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've had this Star Magnolia for a little over a year and I was initially drawn to its twin trunks. My plan was to eventually shorten the left trunk and make the right more dominant. But this morning I looked out the window at it and was struck by the idea of converting it instead to a single trunk informal upright. I've got a few months before I'm going to put it into its first pot, and don't need to make the change right away, but I'd be curious for opinions on what you think is the better front.

Front 1: Twin Trunk
PXL_20230123_164920442.PORTRAIT.jpg

Front 2: Informal Upright. I'd take off the left trunk (above) and probably change the planting angle a little.
PXL_20230123_164858026.PORTRAIT.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It isn't really a twin trunk because the "trunks" don't separate at the nebari. Rather, it is a single trunk tree with one branch that is way too big. I would cut off the slightly smaller branch on the left in the first photo.

Why place so much emphasis on the height of the trunk split? It’s one trunk that splits into two trunks part of the way up. That’s a very natural form for a tree to take. I see this as an eventual informal broom.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I got a lot of positive feedback on this tree at a bring your own tree night at Puget Sound Bonsai Association. Which was really fun as a very new practicioner.

Everyone I spoke with including some of our local grey beards and pros was team keep two trunks. Some of the considerations that were discussed.

1. A slight adjustment to the front
  2. The magnolia would be really slow to recover from the cut to make this a single trunk.
  3. I don't have any viable branches on what would be the back if I removed a trunk.
  4. I can always reduce the trunk later, but no need to rush it. I'm already planning on reducing the left branch later this summer and I can see what happens with that.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a sweet little magnolia! I have been wanting to try air layering one to bonsai off the saucer magnolia in my front yard. You got some sound advice from the folks at the puget sound bonsai association.

palafr01

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice magnolia. I agree with the above plan, perhaps you could use one of the nearby branches on the other trunk as a sacrifice to increase the tree's overall size. Essentially the yellow cut line would form your primary branch and you would continue the trunk line from the opposite trunk

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Please don't let traditional bonsai style 'rules' dictate what you do with trees. If you can produce a great bonsai with 2 trunks up higher then go ahead and do it.
Admittedly the high fork can often look more like a slingshot than a tree but change of angle, pruning one or the other and other changes can mitigate those factors. Definitely look for different treatments before slavishly following traditional forms.
Then prepare to weather the storm of criticism from the establishment bonsai police.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plus vote for 2 trunks. Many flowers ready to bloom🥰. Also can spread trunks farther apart.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Since your local experts have the advantage of seeing the tree in three dimensions, go with their recommendation.
That was one advantage but magnolia aren't a very common variety, so I like the diversity of opinion and experiences here.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmm….I’d bury the roots and chop at the lower orange line. I’d leave a stub though when chopped because a little trunk carving might be very interesting and create a better aging in my view.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Please don't let traditional bonsai style 'rules' dictate what you do with trees. If you can produce a great bonsai with 2 trunks up higher then go ahead and do it.
Admittedly the high fork can often look more like a slingshot than a tree but change of angle, pruning one or the other and other changes can mitigate those factors. Definitely look for different treatments before slavishly following traditional forms.
Then prepare to weather the storm of criticism from the establishment bonsai police.
I sure appreciate the grounded advice you offer to folks here! We seem to see things in a very similar way! Thanks for providing quality and detailed feedback!

Top Bottom