Trying any new substrates next year?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am going to try out some Black Lava, Haydite, Turface and DE #8822 all together as an equal parts mix for several different trees.
I have used DE solo with good results.
I have one yew currently that is in turface mixed with some DE and small pine bark flakes....seems nice, I like the turface...
I have been warned about turface though, not to use it solo because it's mostly flat pieces, and they can stack up in the pot in a way that makes it impossible for roots to grow through, or sometimes, for water to get to.
But as an additive of up to 25% or so, it's great.

Before I started mixing my own substrate, I used Hoffman's Bonsai Soil Mix, which is "Haydite, Sand Pebble, Aged Pine Bark, and Turface."
It's a good mix, but it's only sold in small 2 quart bags and most bags have more pine bark than is useable.
So I would sift that, get out all the big pine bark chunks, and most of the small ones too, and add in some DE.
It's a good mix, but I want to get away from the pine bark all together. That's why I'm going with lava, haydite, DE and turface next year...might also get some pumice to see how that stuff is.

How bout you? Anything new?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm going to start using more Kanuma, I can't get regular pumice but can find Kanuma locally so will start adding that to some of my trees. I figure many of the species I grow or want to grow when looking at their requirements tend to all say they prefer slightly acidic soil so 1/3 Kanuma in the mix can't hurt.
I still have a load of cat litter to get through too which I'm really liking, seems to hold up better than the Akadama, at least for now. This time next year I can make a better call on that.

I have been using chopped up orchid bark this year as well, I like it but despise chopping it up.

I also want to try out some Fuji sand, it looks to be the perfect colour for a pot tree combination I have in mind but I need the tree first.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Not going to try them because I already use them: Teramol (or Terramol) and Zeolit (or Zeolite). Both very popular here in Europe: porous anorganic materials with very good water retaining properties. Both are used as filtering materials for ponds. You can obtain them in large quantities for very low prices, various sizes of grain. Trees tend to grow very large number of fine fibrous roots in these substrates. The only thing (but that I believe is a common - even normal thing to do) is that you need to fertilize (they are anorganic so they itself do not provide any nutrients). In this regards I advise Walter Pall's article on 3 aspects of bonsai growing: substrate, watering, fertilizing.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The one I use is Danish molar clay so yeah, it is also the same thing as the Teramol mentioned above.
From what I read Kanuma is about PH4.5 to 5 and it is what is often recommended to use straight for Azaleas, it seems tried and tested plus I have an Azalea now so I will use it for that and may as well throw some more into my usual mix.

Have been experimenting with it on one of my Bougies, problem is they are all doing well so hard to tell any difference.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Put some stuff into sifted perlite this year because it was cheap as hell for 4 cubic feet.

Annuals are not complaining. Trees look happy up top. Mossing eliminates the known annoyances.

Attachments

• IMG_8936.JPG
    IMG_8936.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 39

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Put some stuff into sifted perlite this year because it was cheap as hell for 4 cubic feet.

Annuals are not complaining. Trees look happy up top. Mossing eliminates the known annoyances.
Yeah. Perlite is nice and cheap....I had issues with it floating to the surface over time in large wide containers.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is a picture of the black lava, the Haydite (expanded Shale), and the Turface in the middle.
The lava is all about 1/4 pieces, the Haydite has some good variation in particle size, so I'll be able to sit that out and have a few different sizes to choose from, and the turface is Turface smallest.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to a grow shop today, maybe pumice and growstone are possible newbies in the mix. Also been considering some kanuma, there's a dude not far from me who sells it at a fair price.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Going to a grow shop today, maybe pumice and growstone are possible newbies in the mix. Also been considering some kanuma, there's a dude not far from me who sells it at a fair price.

Growstone is also solid for me so far. Doesn't float. No sifting. I just wish the particles were 30% smaller. You really gotta fill those gaps for top dressing.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The one I use is Danish molar clay so yeah, it is also the same thing as the Teramol mentioned above.
From what I read Kanuma is about PH4.5 to 5 and it is what is often recommended to use straight for Azaleas, it seems tried and tested plus I have an Azalea now so I will use it for that and may as well throw some more into my usual mix.

Have been experimenting with it on one of my Bougies, problem is they are all doing well so hard to tell any difference.
I have Azaleas growing in 100% Kanuma, Boones mix (lava/pumice/Akadama), 100% Akadama, and potting soil (peat, perlite and a little chopped pine bark)... they do fine in everything except the 100% Akadama. They struggle to grow much in the lure Akadama, don't die just kind of sit there and sulk. Aside from that, I have noticed almost no difference in the speed of growth or health.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beer bottle tops...
Petrified Rupert turds.
Fertilizer and substrate all in one.
Free and plentiful around here.
But seriously I want to try the Optisorb brand D.E.. And pumice.
After adding lava to the napa8822 my trees health jumped up. More air I believe.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Petrified Rupert turds.
Fertilizer and substrate all in one.
Free and plentiful around here.
But seriously I want to try the Optisorb brand D.E.. And pumice.
After adding lava to the napa8822 my trees health jumped up. More air I believe.
Awesome! Good to know!
I'm excited about the lava!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to get my hands on a pile of this. Sifted from a bulk pile of landscape mulch material. It's sold as Golden Lava. Physically it looks to be somewhere between pumice and scoria, a bit closer to pumice. Not that I think it would change much over what I use but I'm sure it would perform very well.
Visually it's really nice though, good colour, changes from dark to light with moisture too so you can a actually when it's dry easier than pumice. Got moist and dry in hand here.

Golden lava, keep an eye out, nobody ever talks about it, must be uncommonly available?image.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know that I won't be trying turface, ever again... I'd like to get my hands on some of these fancy lava varieties though

Top Bottom