Trident seedlings planted through tiles, progression thread

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This looks great, Im sure it will turn in to a good thread, as you are trying to mimic Brian's. Maybe it'll be better than his ;).

This does inspire me to do them myself, I just need to get some of these seedlings.. I could grow from seed, as buying seeds would be easy, just prefer not to.. Finding the seedlings isn't so easy though! Will try myself.
This is looking really good though! I was going to say on one of your posts earlier, its a Trident right? Chopping back to no branch should be a breeze for them, they will surely back bud? But less risk your way, fair enough!

Hi Conor,
I propagate a lot of maples by semi-hardwood (eg Summer) cutting, with green JM and Trident root reasonably easily. No need to buy seedlings. Also cutting roots are vigorous and no tap root etc.
Hope this helps you and OP.
Charles

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Conor,
I propagate a lot of maples by semi-hardwood (eg Summer) cutting, with green JM and Trident root reasonably easily. No need to buy seedlings. Also cutting roots are vigorous and no tap root etc.
Hope this helps you and OP.
Charles
To be honest, I have recently been trying to get a few, as I have large amounts to remove from a JM.
I tried it on a Beni Maiko JM, 4-5 leaves, cutting is in a pot with sphag moss around it immediately, and normal soil round that. Was dipped in to hormone. It is in a bag to keep humidity up, it lives indoors on the window sill and when the sun is out like now, i put it outside. i am trying to keep its ambient temperature up more than normal. Every cutting i do, fails lol, ive all but given up on it at the moment.

Very interested if you can help me succeed! Perhaps not in this persons thread though

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest, I have recently been trying to get a few, as I have large amounts to remove from a JM.
I tried it on a Beni Maiko JM, 4-5 leaves, cutting is in a pot with sphag moss around it immediately, and normal soil round that. Was dipped in to hormone. It is in a bag to keep humidity up, it lives indoors on the window sill and when the sun is out like now, i put it outside. i am trying to keep its ambient temperature up more than normal. Every cutting i do, fails lol, ive all but given up on it at the moment.

Very interested if you can help me succeed! Perhaps not in this persons thread though
I'm interested to. I'll be needing to do that soon. I've tried it in the past and also didn't have much success.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I don’t remember saying that, but I might have. But, I think what I meant was to remove the bottom once the top created roots, not just swelled.
I just went back and re read your post and I believe that I initially misread it and then committed it to memory incorrectly. Oops!

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How does the graft look on the other side?
For root graft you need union on the root side. Outgoing union gives you nothing.
I have had a few where the outgoing fused real well like this but the root side did not and the roots just wither away when the top joins to the main tree. I got scars but no new roots :(
Check the other side.
I haven't dug down but I will tomorrow and take a look. You make a very good point.

@Conor I don't think I will ever beat Brian in anything bonsai related. Too much of an education and talent gap between us right now.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't dug down but I will tomorrow and take a look. You make a very good point.

@Conor I don't think I will ever beat Brian in anything bonsai related. Too much of an education and talent gap between us right now.

"Shoot for the moon, land among the stars", and all that...
Any good teacher would want you to surpass them.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How does the graft look on the other side?
For root graft you need union on the root side. Outgoing union gives you nothing.
I have had a few where the outgoing fused real well like this but the root side did not and the roots just wither away when the top joins to the main tree. I got scars but no new roots :(
Check the other side.
Here are two of the three graft unions on the root side. The look to be fusing nicely as well.

IMG_20200624_113927.jpgIMG_20200624_114052.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went looking for your thread in general...couldn't find it.
Hope you don't mind...I have quite a few tridents that I grew through tiles and sheet metal.
I mostly did it to get multi trunked trees. Some have fused completely and others needs more growing. Some has sort of got away from me.... :p
IMG_20200625_114522.jpgIMG_20200625_114538.jpgIMG_20200625_114555.jpgIMG_20200625_114647.jpgIMG_20200625_114746.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The more the merrier.. I have started a few just like this, but I have one tree in the middle of each that I plan to use as a single trunk after the all fuse. Maybe a couple triple trunks but we'll see. They're all pencil sized or smaller right now.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went looking for your thread in general...couldn't find it.
Hope you don't mind...I have quite a few tridents that I grew through tiles and sheet metal.
I mostly did it to get multi trunked trees. Some have fused completely and others needs more growing. Some has sort of got away from me.... :p
View attachment 311456View attachment 311457View attachment 311458View attachment 311459View attachment 311460
That first pic fused extremely well, looks like it was a big tree chopped down.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Pictures from a few weeks ago, tree was transplanted to another area in the yard and root grafts were removed. Grafts shown either by my finger or in red.

roots1.png
roots2.png
roots3.png
roots4.png

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How long does it usually take for roots to merge and look like a pancake?

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How long does it usually take for roots to merge and look like a pancake?
For it to be an even pancake, it takes several repots with proper work. For root fusion around the base, you can have that begin in just a couple years. The second tree that I posted above will have a fair amount of that pancake nebari when I work it this spring, but it also has several roots that are much too strong that will take away from the pancake appeal.

Edit: the tree I referenced is the tree attached in this photo. Here's a once year progress, almost to the day. IMG_20190904_153036.jpg

PXL_20201105_153019267.jpg

Top Bottom