Trident Maples seedlings

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bought 7 trident seedlings off EBay earlier this spring and planted 3 of them in bonsai Jack inorganic soil in rootmaker pots (possible knock off rootmaker as in counterfeit) can't remember just something I bought off ebay as well. Anyways I also planted one in the ground and 3 in regular miracle grow potting soil. The potting soil ones are doing way better and are easier to take care of. The one in the ground hasn't really taken off yet and looks about liketrident maple.jpgTrident maples June 2023.jpg the the ones in the bonsai soil, The ground one is possibly getting less sun.
It's also possible the ones in the bonsai soil were bare rooted whereas the ones in the potting soil were not. Maybe not much of an experiment but for just growing some young maples for forest plantings its seems easier and more productive to put them in potting soil.
The bonsai soil ones get watered every day, the potting soil one get watered two or three times a week.

I noticed the same. I put some of my seedling j.maples in bonsai soil and some other ones in regular potting soil from the hardware store (think it was miracle gro) and the ones in miracle gro outgrew the ones in bonsai soil.

Seems proper it should though because bonsai soil basically has no nutrients in it for the seedlings to consume. Just moved to a property with over an acre so I'll be ground growing starting next year. Hoping for some good growth and good results in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom