Trident Renovation Project

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This thread is to document a rather lengthy project on an older Trident maple.
I hope to improve this venerable trident that I acquired recently. It was an important part of Peter Wilson's personal collection and he offered it to me when faced with a terminal diagnosis of pancreatic cancer! I feel honoured to have this opportunity to be the next caretaker for this tree and promised that I would do my best to bring it back to full health and improve the design to the best of my ability. Peters illness over the past two years made care for his large collection difficult at best, putting lots of pressure on the family to try and keep them healthy during long hospital stays, treatments and recovery.
Notes on the starting points.
Acquired - July 17th,2023
Tree History notes. Imported from Korea in 2000 and purchased by Peter Wilson at that time!
Grown out in wooden box and maintenance containers for six or seven years.
Moved to basic bonsai container in 2008 for development.
Here is the earliest pictures that Peter could provide. Estimated 2008 after placement in Bonsai Pot.
0-1.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, looking forward to see what you do with it
Thanks, I have been working on a plan and beginning the process since I acquired the tree. Excited and also feeling a strong desire to take my time and carefully execute each step over time. Love a challenge.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Marked this one to watch. What a great story...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FIRST let me be clear, I think this tree has amazing potential and I can recall many years when it looked outstanding under Peters care. I am simply wanting to restore and improve. See if I can make the most of this opportunity.

When I received the tree in July it was in a weak condition. I had been aware of the trees struggles over the past year or so and realized there was a fair degree of risk involved duets its condition.
Initial first hand assessment can be summed up as follows.
1 Repot required/ tree weak, branch loss evident, interior lacking buds, existing foliage off color and mostly in the outer perimeter.
2. A number of areas on the trunk beginning to decay where branches lost or removed. ( 14 )
3. Branching grown out over time , coarser look rather than refined, several straighter thick sections need to be removed.
4. Nebari uneven and gaps in some sections. potted very high in pot.
5. Compacted soil higher in organic than I like to work with. Mixture of sea soil and granite grit.

Here are two pictures.
1.First the tree in leaf 2008 after repotting into a bonsai pot.
2. Trident in leaf 2023 July as received.
Peter Wilson's Trident.jpg
IMG_1829.JPG

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Carrying the torch can be a really big responsibility but I am sure you are up for the task to do it right...

Beautiful tree!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like an awesome restoration project. It is indeed quite an honor to be passed the baton from someone who can no longer care for the tree. I have one of those types of trees myself from a club member, and it is tremendously special to me.

I have no doubt that you will do a great job carrying on this tree’s legacy 😊

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
very nice trident and quite the legacy to continue
Will be interesting to watch its rehabilitation

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Planning the renovation began quickly. I consulted several well trained Bonsai buddies for their perspectives. We sat in the garage and mulled it over for some time with everyone contributing their point of view. Three people, seven points of view! Been their, done that! Was well worth the time to get extra perspective.

I decided the next step was to think about who could I consult on a higher professional level. I felt the tree was worth the time and expense, as well as I like to extend my own capabilities by working with the best talent I can access. Considered several options such as taking the tree to my Sensei Boon in California, Contacted and spoke with several individuals that I have a lot of respect for, then in the end arranged a zoom consultation with Sergio. @MACH5 . The prospect of being able to work with the tree in my studio and consult via Zoom seemed like a wonderful opportunity. I have admired Sergio's work for a long time and many people I respect think very highly of his talent and personality.

Great experience, comfortable exchange of assessment and possibilities, rough discussion of major tasks and best order of execution.
Prior to the zoom I had prepared history, a series of pictures and a list of recent work since acquisition. Also purchased a video camera for the Zoom presentation to assist in careful display of the tree in detail and 360 degree presentation. This allowed us to change angles and examine carefully while discussing possibilities, strengths of the tree and weaknesses that could be corrected if desired.
I was very encouraged but the range and compatibility of approach in the end.
Full disclosure I take all responsibilities for the decision, execution and outcome. But really appreciate the assistance and input.

Here is the list of tasks completed prior to the consultation.
1. emergency repot in the middle of July.
2. Placed in a similar size but deeper pot, removed all compacted soil and dead roots under the base of the tree.
3. treated the decaying areas, dug out cavities, placed epoxy and cut paste to heal affected areas. Fourteen in total.
4. removed dead branches, side shoots and opened up a few areas for sunlight.
5. basically pruned extra large older leaves in favour of smaller younger foliage and exposure for the few existing buds in the interior.
6. cut back a few apical tips to promote back budding.

Rationale to complete as quickly as possible all work that could strengthen the tree before winter. had enough time for root recovery and the ability to protect in a green house before freezing temperatures in my neck of the woods.
here are a couple pictures to show the repot change and work completed in the end of July.

IMG_1236.JPGIMG_1830.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This i a great tree. Thank you for sharing, not the least because I have a similar trunk, which is lacking branching. This gives me a nice image that is NOT a typical trident-sumo tree but a real tree with just a really FAT trunk.

Nice to see you get @MACH5 sergio involved. Always been an admirer of his natural-feeling trees.

Considering you did not opt for a pot even larger: You are not going to do major work on the canopy that require long re-growing, but will use the primaries and secondaries already in place? (I assume you will do major pruning on the top once back to vigour?)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Considering you did not opt for a pot even larger: You are not going to do major work on the canopy that require long re-growing, but will use the primaries and secondaries already in place? (I assume you will do major pruning on the top once back to vigour?)
Careful analysis and planning is important. A closer look would reveal that I did choose a deeper pot ( 3 inch) of the same length and width. The pot is actually 1 inch deeper than the Reihio ( 2 inch) that it was in. That is an increase of 33%. More than enough for the work intended.Also consideration should be given to the root ball reduction I was able to affect during the emergency repotting. Later during the renovation when root grafting becomes involved the root ball will be further reduced to set lower each time it is repotted. I doubt very much I will require a deeper pot, however will keep the thought in mind. It may be necessary later on to switch to a shallower but longer and wider grow box if the growth is not at the pace I would like. Thanks for the observation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom