Trident Renovation Project

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a big change coming for this tree. Thanks for sharing this project so fully, it's great documentation, and shows how big of a change can be made to even an older established tree.
Thanks Judy. It makes me wonder at times about the eventual outcome. I work with collected yamadori often, in those cases it is common to perform rather drastic makeovers and deal with transition stages that seem so out of step with the intended final product! With trees developed from the start it is unusual to make major changes, often small changes can have a more pronounced effect if the basic structure is well done.
in this case as one studies the tree the areas that could make the most difference to the overall aesthetic are primarily the beginning of the apical structure and the uneven gaps in the nebari.
The simplest approach would be to accept the overall structure and improve the ramification of the branching!
It is exactly like a home renovation, one idea leads to another, the time frame, work involved and number of changes increases exponentially as the planning continues. Not sure that the outcome will meet the expectations of others, but that is not the goal. My goal is to try and improve the aesthetics, make the most out of the material as I am able. With the documentation I hope to give an indication of the planning process and considerations that go in to such a project. I do expect the transition stages to appear as " ugly duckling ' chapters. Hopefully short chapters with happier endings!
Which reminds me, just in case I cannot get the proper bends on the more mature cuttings for root grafting, I ordered lots of seeds from Schumacher and they will arrive Tuesday. Express Post means 16 days from New York to Vancouver Island. Perhaps they meant pony express. I will plant them just in case! My intention is to use the trees own material if at all possible. If that is possible then the germinated seedlings will go for trident forest plantings in the future.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A not so subtle dig at our postal systems and their guaranteed delivery times. I ordered trident seeds from a company in New York on March 10th, paid for faster delivery, I am still waiting for them to arrive. The tracking says they took six days to get to the Canadian / USA border. cleared customs that day and transferred to a postal warehouse in Montreal, Arrived three days ago to a postal station 50 km away from my home. Expected delivery the beginning of this week. Perhaps!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A not so subtle dig at our postal systems and their guaranteed delivery times. I ordered trident seeds from a company in New York on March 10th, paid for faster delivery, I am still waiting for them to arrive. The tracking says they took six days to get to the Canadian / USA border. cleared customs that day and transferred to a postal warehouse in Montreal, Arrived three days ago to a postal station 50 km away from my home. Expected delivery the beginning of this week. Perhaps!
got that. Just concerned with how things seem to be breaking down at several levels.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy. It makes me wonder at times about the eventual outcome. I work with collected yamadori often, in those cases it is common to perform rather drastic makeovers and deal with transition stages that seem so out of step with the intended final product! With trees developed from the start it is unusual to make major changes, often small changes can have a more pronounced effect if the basic structure is well done.
in this case as one studies the tree the areas that could make the most difference to the overall aesthetic are primarily the beginning of the apical structure and the uneven gaps in the nebari.
The simplest approach would be to accept the overall structure and improve the ramification of the branching!
It is exactly like a home renovation, one idea leads to another, the time frame, work involved and number of changes increases exponentially as the planning continues. Not sure that the outcome will meet the expectations of others, but that is not the goal. My goal is to try and improve the aesthetics, make the most out of the material as I am able. With the documentation I hope to give an indication of the planning process and considerations that go in to such a project. I do expect the transition stages to appear as " ugly duckling ' chapters. Hopefully short chapters with happier endings!
Which reminds me, just in case I cannot get the proper bends on the more mature cuttings for root grafting, I ordered lots of seeds from Schumacher and they will arrive Tuesday. Express Post means 16 days from New York to Vancouver Island. Perhaps they meant pony express. I will plant them just in case! My intention is to use the trees own material if at all possible. If that is possible then the germinated seedlings will go for trident forest plantings in the future.
I have done the same with some of the material I have acquired that came to me overgrown or unmanaged for some time. What surprises me most is when I choose a wholly new front and after some years of developing it to this new design, I have in a few instances come back around to seeing the old front as indeed the best aspect... Not always but...😁

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have done the same with some of the material I have acquired that came to me overgrown or unmanaged for some time. What surprises me most is when I choose a wholly new front and after some years of developing it to this new design, I have in a few instances come back around to seeing the old front as indeed the best aspect... Not always but...😁
Agreed, that is why we reserve the right to change our mind more than once:cool:. The original front showed the best taper and had the best forward lean toward the viewer. My consideration for the new front is better nebari and trunk movement , and I hope to add to the movement with a new apical development. Another consideration is that two key branches have been lost over time that were an integral part of the original front and design. In the new front the tree will still lean toward the viewer and display strong taper, but with some added movement at the base and the where the apex begins.
The key fault or most difficult aspect in the current design for me is the thicker straight sections with no taper where the apex begins division for the canopy. Both sides are too long and too straight before beginning to divide into smaller branches.
Do you see a different direction to take?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you see a different direction to take?
No, I quite agree with the assessment of the direction you are taking with the tree. I have just experienced that very process only to go back to the origin of the tree in the end. I find it interesting to see large scale changes on older trees.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, I quite agree with the assessment of the direction you are taking with the tree. I have just experienced that very process only to go back to the origin of the tree in the end. I find it interesting to see large scale changes on older trees.
I was just checking, sometimes the best ideas are found when one is not looking!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was just checking, sometimes the best ideas are found when one is not looking!
That is so true, I love having someone who really isn't a bonsai person tell me what they think about the trees. It can be enlightening, what someone else can see that you don't.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is so true, I love having someone who really isn't a bonsai person tell me what they think about the trees. It can be enlightening, what someone else can see that you don't.
Children are the very best observers, we just have to pay attention to their questions. Before they get taught to keep some of their observations to themselves that is!;).
Yesterday the express mail finally arrived from Schumacher Seeds. Will begin by cleaning the seeds, anti fungal dip then rinse and dry before soaking. Then off to the fridge. I am starting some tridents in case I have difficulty with root graft placement. My cuttings I struck from the tree are a bit thicker and the bend to position the roots may not work as well as needed. The seedlings will be the back up plan so the progression can continue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom