Trident maple from seed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Apologies this may have been discussed to death but I absolutely failed at all my maple seeds last year!

I am trying to get my head around stratification, this time round I have only purchased trident as I think I may have had too much going on last time with many different seeds.

The website I purchased from has very detailed info on most seeds they sell, unfortunately no trident.

I have ordered a few hundred seeds so happy to try different methods, not sure of minimum or most effective time frames for warm and cold stratification. Or if soaking is required.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Soak for 24 hours, then into the fridge in sand/perlite/moss/paper towel with a bit of water/peroxide mix (30ml 3% peroxide in 1000ml water) and into the fridge. Start checking the seeds after about 6 weeks. If they’re fresh and viable you should start seeing little white “tongues” poking out of them from then onwards.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Apologies this may have been discussed to death but I absolutely failed at all my maple seeds last year!

I am trying to get my head around stratification, this time round I have only purchased trident as I think I may have had too much going on last time with many different seeds.

The website I purchased from has very detailed info on most seeds they sell, unfortunately no trident.

I have ordered a few hundred seeds so happy to try different methods, not sure of minimum or most effective time frames for warm and cold stratification. Or if soaking is required.
I find tridents to be easy from seed, just put them in a seed tray with a free draining but water retentive compost (i use any compost realy and perlite) cover with mesh or something like that to keep critters out leave outside all autumn/winter and you will see the seedlings in spring. I find this method easier and more reliable than stratifying in the fridge and trying to stop things getting mouldy. not to mention the telling of I get from my better half for packing out the fridge with crap as she puts it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
@SeanS I doubt they are fresh but I could be wrong! is it much different if my seeds are say a year old? Also I notice the 'wings' are removed is this standard practice? I remember they did seem to attract a lot of mould when left on.

@Lutonian Thank you, i have read about a warm strat too, is that not necessary even with dried seeds? I wanted to try a batch outdoors anyway so will do as you suggest with one tray for sure. Also we are both in the UK so if you could recommend a good source for trident seeds I would appreciate it!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m not sure about year old seeds, I collect off the trees in my neighborhood (there are tridents on every corner!) and sow that same winter.
I guess I'm lazy about it, but I just go out in springtime and collect the sprouted seedlings right out of the landscaping. I know several sites around town that produce a good crop of seedlings every year. Just have to beat the landscapers to them or they weed them out. But they never get them all. Bark mulch is the best.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I have brought seeds from many sources and this method has worked for all the tridents I have grown never bothered with warm stratification and I still get good results. These are the only UK suppliers that have acer buergerianum seed that I know of, I used to use a lot of EU companies but a lot of them won't post to uk now. Links below

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
@SeanS @RKatzin I wish we had the option to do that in the UK! tridents are pretty hard to get hold of at all here which is why I'm resorting to seeds.

@Lutonian thank you, I have used these sellers before myself but its valuable you have experience with their seeds and your method!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't even bother to collect and sow seed any more. The tridents in my garden drop millions of seeds every winter and hundreds of thousands sprout in the garden beds and pots each spring. Just pull up as many seedlings as I need in winter.

Maple seed germinates without any treatment if it is fresh but after dry storage it may require the warm and cold stratification to break dormancy. In any case, treatment will not reduce germination so for seed of unknown age or provenance warm and cold treatment would be advised.

Top Bottom