Trident Maple seed sowing exercise

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Finally went out TM seed collecting today and managed to fill two coffee jars.

The jar on the left (I’ll call it medium roast) contains seeds collected from a large +/- 40 foot tree planted in a neighbor's yard. The jar on the right (light roast) has seeds collected from a smaller 10' tree in a different neighborhood (with exuberant approval by each homeowner). Both trees seem to have put out more seeds compared to last year.

I picked three leaves from each tree at random just for kicks, and to remind myself how much variation in shape, size and color I see on each TM I come across.

IMG_7271.jpgIMG_7272.jpg

I have tried @Lutonian method of sowing seeds straight into trays and letting Mother Nature do the rest. Had decent success a couple of years back with sowing JM's right after collection and letting the trays chill under my benches over the winter.
Will update the thread with eventual progress (or regress).

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Given the way fresh trident seed germinates down here I doubt you will have any problems at all. Just make sure the seedivores cannot get to them. Mice and other seed eaters seem to have an uncanny way of finding seed, even buried but I guess they have been making a living from that for hundreds of thousands of years.
I also prefer to sow and leave seed out through winter so they germinate naturally in spring.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Revisiting my TM seed trays near the end of winter.. I sowed them last fall and kept them outdoors under the bench. So far the tray containing seeds from the smaller size tree is pushing more seedlings 🌱
Rains have provided all the watering.. going to keep them netted and protected from spring frost.

Attachments

• IMG_8169.jpeg
    IMG_8169.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8172.jpeg
    IMG_8172.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 14

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure to put at least a couple in deep soil, they like to grow fast if they know they have room for a tap root.

Top Bottom