Tree off the Ohio river

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty much nothing above the soda can in the first pic is usable. I am pretty aggressive - but I would consider pruning it back to the stump and seeing what pops out.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeh its cool and all, but how do you turn it in to Bonsai? Im only beginning to get an eye for potential but this is over my head lol.
How?!
If m. Frary is correct about it being a willow, pretty sure he's right this things will grow very quickly. This would fall into large bonsai. At this size you don't have to worry much about leaf reduction since it's going to be a large tree. Also willow leafs aren't large to begin with. Look past a lot of the top and focus more on the bottom foot of the trunk. Think of it as you would a smaller tree, movement, interest and bark.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty much nothing above the soda can in the first pic is usable. I am pretty aggressive - but I would consider pruning it back to the stump and seeing what pops out.
Well this part is what I've been kicking around in my head. I got some fine roots but not a ton. I've been wandering if I should cut it way back so I wouldnt have to worry about not having enough roots to support the top. Also if I cut it back hard now that would give the large cuts a head start on healing rather than waiting.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you don't mind just a thought I had for some direction it has naturally. I would go with these branches:IMG_1835.JPG

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't mind just a thought I had for some direction it has naturally. I would go with these branches:View attachment 136988
Don't mind the thought at all. I'll keep this in mind when I get a chance to study it again. Want to today but we're getting some nasty weather all day. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday I'll get a chance to get a good look at it and start cutting stuff off.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Spdyracer It's nice to take the time and figure it out. mine's just a thought, never know what can/should be done unless it's in your hands! Have fun with it!

Top Bottom