Tool and wire storage

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’ve been look through threads and haven’t found much.

I attended a class last week and saw many expensive/advanced wire organizers. I was hoping to see what people use for wire and tool storage. Especially if you have a value conscious idea or diy or adapted way to organize and store wire. I’d love to be able to spend several hundred dollars on wire storage but I would rather put that into a tree or more supplies. Maybe someday but for not I need a cheaper option.

Thank you in advance.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a hook attached to the rafters in the garage (it’s actually intended for storing a bicycle upside down hanging by its rims). My rolls of copper wire hang from the hook whenever they’re not in use.

For tools, I just have a lightweight toolbox from Lowe’s.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This holds pretty much everything I need for classes/workshops. I have other supplies in another larger toolbox so if there's something specialized going on like grafting etc. I just pull from that as-needed.

I know it's not super fancy or organized but it does the trick and packs small!

The little plastic dividers keep the wire from getting tangled.

Don't forget to mark your tools somehow so you don't get them mixed up with other people's tools :cool:. I even mark my wire rolls with tape.

20231119_161516.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sometimes use a bucket tool organizer to carry tools when I need to take a tree to work on. I have another tool box to keep tools in. Sometimes I carry tools in whatever tool box or milk crate I have at hand. Just depends on what I need to take and which tree(s) I'm taking. If it's just a few tools, a bucket or milk crate usually does the job.

I keep coils of wire in milk crates, one for aluminum and one for copper. I'll layer the copper in towels so they don't bang against each other. I just haven't found another method that is portable that Iike better yet.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I sometimes use a bucket tool organizer to carry tools when I need to take a tree to work on. I have another tool box to keep tools in. Sometimes I carry tools in whatever tool box or milk crate I have at hand. Just depends on what I need to take and which tree(s) I'm taking. If it's just a few tools, a bucket or milk crate usually does the job.

I keep coils of wire in milk crates, one for aluminum and one for copper. I'll layer the copper in towels so they don't bang against each other. I just haven't found another method that is portable that Iike better yet.
I was hoping to see someone that is utilizing a bucket. I saw a bucket organizer and it looked like a solid option. Then I would just need to work out a wire organizer that goes in the middle.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was hoping to see someone that is utilizing a bucket. I saw a bucket organizer and it looked like a solid option. Then I would just need to work out a wire organizer that goes in the middle.
Imo pvc would work for this.
Hmm I'm getting ideas now

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm an apartment dweller, I have a man drawer. Somewhere in an apartment there will be one single drawer that would strangely be vacant. Michael McIntyre did a good explanation about this.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I built a wire tree on wheels that has most of the wire etc that I might be using. Works very well for me and can easily be wheeled around in my garage or on the deck. This last summer I added a tool carrier on wheels also. Tools organized inside the bag and ones in use can be attached to the magnetic bar on both sides. The stand and wheels for that came from a small chair and will go up and down if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6086.jpg
    IMG_6086.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6088.jpg
    IMG_6088.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 78

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Piece of pegboard and some pegboard hooks for storage, plastic milk crate for portability and meetings/workshops. works for me.
Well the pegboard is attached to the wall, the wall to the building, you get the drift. Handy storage for tools, wire, turntable, music and the odd beverage. Trees any time any season.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 83

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I guess I should have mentioned mobile options.

Main reason being attending classes.

Love some of the solutions so far though.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If anyone is looking for a well built tool bag, this one is built to last a lifetime. It also has a rubber bottom so you can place it on top of dirt or moist services and not worry about seepage of water.

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpeg
    IMG_8125.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8124.jpeg
    IMG_8124.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8126.jpeg
    IMG_8126.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 56

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well the pegboard is attached to the wall, the wall to the building, you get the drift. Handy storage for tools, wire, turntable, music and the odd beverage. Trees any time any season.
That's a very nice bonsai shed sir!

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If anyone is looking for a well built tool bag, this one is built to last a lifetime. It also has a rubber bottom so you can place it on top of dirt or moist services and not worry about seepage of water.
In the exact same vein I use this Klein Tools electricians tool backpack: https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-Tradesman-Klein-Tools-55421BP-14/dp/B00MK9UY0A/ref=sr_1_4

For OP, I found mine second hand but unused.

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's my tool bucket system. If its minimal wiring, I just keel the wires on the clamps, if it's extensive wiring, I can keep the rolls on the middle spool. The main reason I opted for the bucket was to have a spot in the middle to toss wire ends or branch cuttings when you're at a class(or trying to keep the garage floor a bit cleaner)

Attachments

• 20231203_103044.jpg
    20231203_103044.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231203_103034.jpg
    20231203_103034.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom