Thoughts on this Pot

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thought on the second one--I'm all for adequate drainage, but that's overdoing it. Simply thinking about making screens for those TEN holes and wiring the screen in place makes me tired. This pot only needs about six--two larger in the center, two at each end of the farthest sides.
This reminds me of a question I've had. Does anyone use self adhesive mesh to cover holes? I saw some at a workshop and didn't get a chance to talk about it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Coming along. From a practical application standpoint, they have a lot of drain holes that I'd dread fitting screen over. That last oval requires 10 screens! Be sure the bottom is flat, and cut the number of drain holes way down.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is the one I did last night, 21" oval 2 1/2" deep.

I really would like to have similar with no glaze - darn nice in my eyes as I like more subtle high fired pots. What I find a bit confusing is the large amount of drainage and the lack of or odd placement of holes allowing one to wire trees down in it. Great pot though and you really should look at how some like Iker provides the types and amounts of utilitarian openings. Again, I think it looks great ;)

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is the one I did last night, 21" oval 2 1/2" deep.

Ok this one I like... but...

It is 90% perfect. I would want it to be 100% perfect. I am going to be really critical, but only because I know you are looking for constructive feedback. The curves are a little sloppy. I am seeing a lot of thumb prints and dents on the interior and the rim isn't perfectly flat. The feet are covered with thumb prints instead of being tooled.

This design ROCKS. I could see you doing a lot of interesting things with glazes... but the glaze would have to be flat and really subtle to not destroy the cool texture on the exterior.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
e like Iker provides t

He also has a great Blog and a lot of very useful information.
If I was starting out, I would be starting there.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok this one I like... but...

It is 90% perfect. I would want it to be 100% perfect. I am going to be really critical, but only because I know you are looking for constructive feedback. The curves are a little sloppy. I am seeing a lot of thumb prints and dents on the interior and the rim isn't perfectly flat. The feet are covered with thumb prints instead of being tooled.

This design ROCKS. I could see you doing a lot of interesting things with glazes... but the glaze would have to be flat and really subtle to not destroy the cool texture on the exterior.

I appreciate your criticism as a fledgling potter myself. But, this begs the question, "What is perfect"? I agree there are rough areas here, but what is perfect in a handmade object? I think the term "more refined" may be more accurate, at least to my tastes. At 2 years into making my own pots, and taking it rather seriously, more refined is only where I am. I'm nowhere near perfect, and I'm kind of ok with that. It's a yin and yang thing for me, the yin being the pursuit for perfection and the yang is accepting the un-perfect for what it is. I look at my own work and criticize myself rather harshly for many flaws that if I found a pot with similar flaws by one of my heroes, say Max Braverman, I would celebrate these flaws endlessly. I have a show coming up and I'm on the fence about taking a few larger pots, due to imperfections. They are built well, drain correctly and ring like a bell with long sustain when checked, but they are deformed shapes. I feel sure they are right for a tree somewhere, but fear sacrificing integrity as an artist by presenting such pieces. What say ye Nuts?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What say ye Nuts?

As long as they sit steady and level take them - there will be buyers and if not at that show the next one ;)

There are two sides to the fence. If you sign and sell them and later in life are renowned in the field they may be of special interest or value...

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a handmade pot like the one pictured with all the drain holes. I got it when I bought a group of maples at a club auction.

The only real difference is it doesn't have feet. It does have an uneven rim, fingerprints, uneven curves and other imperfections) I use it only as a training pot. Yours is cleaner in its lines than mine.

It's imperfections and odd details make it hard to use with more finished trees. It's physical difficulties--low spots on the bottom that collect water. Drain holes with uneven interior openings that can make drainage slow or prevent it--are noticeable and concerning if you know what you're looking at.

I have no idea if the imperfections in your pots are anything like those, but folks that are buying hand-made bonsai pots are generally knowledgeable about such things (or they should be). If I saw stuff like mine for sale (and I have with some beginner bonsai potters around here) I would be very cautious about buying anything.

Simple shape deformation is another thing. Imperfections like that can be quirky and work to the pot's advantage, or they can just look odd, careless or sloppy. I've seen that with beginner bonsai potters work around here. I don't know where the quirky/sloppy line is though. It's one of those things that's up to the person looking at the pot.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this pot!
One of my favorites!
Others have had way different opinions.image.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I appreciate your criticism as a fledgling potter myself. But, this begs the question, "What is perfect"? I agree there are rough areas here, but what is perfect in a handmade object? I think the term "more refined" may be more accurate, at least to my tastes. At 2 years into making my own pots, and taking it rather seriously, more refined is only where I am. I'm nowhere near perfect, and I'm kind of ok with that. It's a yin and yang thing for me, the yin being the pursuit for perfection and the yang is accepting the un-perfect for what it is. I look at my own work and criticize myself rather harshly for many flaws that if I found a pot with similar flaws by one of my heroes, say Max Braverman, I would celebrate these flaws endlessly. I have a show coming up and I'm on the fence about taking a few larger pots, due to imperfections. They are built well, drain correctly and ring like a bell with long sustain when checked, but they are deformed shapes. I feel sure they are right for a tree somewhere, but fear sacrificing integrity as an artist by presenting such pieces. What say ye Nuts?

There is a big difference between not being perfect, because you PLANNED it that way, and not being perfect, because your craftsmanship isn't up to snuff. Even imperfection can be perfect... In fact, correct imperfection is actually harder to achieve than "perfection".

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an idea! From now on if majority rules that one of my pots SUCKS, no Blows :) I will BLOW IT UP!!! Literally I will put explosives in it, full of course and post it on youboob for all to see!

The last one with the inward lip it definetly has to BLOW!

It is very AMERICAN, if we don't likey.... Make it go bye bye! Or boom:)

Thoughts?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have an idea! From now on if majority rules that one of my pots SUCKS, no Blows :) I will BLOW IT UP!!! Literally I will put explosives in it, full of course and post it on youboob for all to see!

Thoughts?
I actually liked just about everything about that pot EXCEPT the lip! I'd hate to see you blow it up!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Thoughts?
You could start a YouTube channel just for that and call it "Pot or Not" - treat it like a game show. I'd watch (with eye protection).
Edit: I vote against blowing up the first pot in this thread - I need it for my 'geez-everyone-is-doing-it" trident forest ;)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could start a YouTube channel just for that and call it "Pot or Not" - treat it like a game show. I'd watch (with eye protection).
Edit: I vote against blowing up the first pot in this thread - I need it for my 'geez-everyone-is-doing-it" trident forest ;)
I learned in 98' not to watch at all! You might get eye protection in your eye!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Txhorticulture has that pot now.
I have another! One moment....
Pot or not?!?

Top Bottom