THIS is what happens to a refined pine when...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sifu,

remember our trees are based on observations from
nature.

So it matters little which expert said what, Nature is
a bit more important and also the idea of Idealism is
used as opposed to Mannerism and Naturalism.

However in the case of the Japanese Master who
expressed the idea of a few, but thick branches,
he is in agreement with Nature for down here

Do you know how odd, thin branches on thick trunks
look ?

Or surface roots on trees that don't do that in Nature?

Perhaps with time others may use their eyes and
see.

Sifu, you would probably, in the future prefer students who think,
than students who rote.
So if you wrote an article, I would think about it and
then give you an honest opinion as far as my mind had thought
out the idea.

Sifu is always expected to see further down the road.

Always good to chat.
Slow Turtle
Anthony

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Anthony. Perhaps we should start a new thread about Trinidad’s trees. This one is about refined JBP and how to make them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Had someone tell me they should be fine where I live!
I wouldn't want to kill it either.
Who told you they should do fine in your area? They don't do well where I live, only the Korean strain can handle a Michigan Winter down in the Detroit area, I seriously doubt their survivability in Mio. JMHO

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who told you they should do fine in your area? They don't do well where I live, only the Korean strain can handle a Michigan Winter down in the Detroit area, I seriously doubt their survivability in Mio. JMHO
It was Vance Hannah,Vance.
You know how much he likes them. He wanted to know if I had any. I said no because it's too cold. He didnt seem to think so. I also said my growing season is too short to be decandling twice.
I know a JBP would be very short lived here. A Japanese red pine and a Japanese white pine probably couldn't handle it here either.
I dont believe Vance knows what 20 plus degrees below zero for a couple weeks a year is like.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sifu,

Penjing began in Trinidad in 1806, as the Chinese arrived.
Still want to talk about Penjing in Trinidad.
Chinese kept their Martial Arts and various skills to themselves.

Also remember, when we first met, we talked about a very
old J.B.pine image that does not seem to exist on Google
anymore.
Bonsai /Penjing from Nature.
Just to be a Pest.
Respectfully,
Anthony

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP are not as cold hardy as other pines like Scots or Mugo. Bill Valavanis told me he had a lot of his students lose a lot of their JBP one especially cold winter. They were in the habit of overwintering them in their unheated garages which worked just fine for years. Until it didn’t.

He now concentrates on Scots pine. Because of his climate.
Yep, it was that really cold winter we had a few years ago. Exactly why I keep mine in an area where I can maintain a safe temperature.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP are not as cold hardy as other pines like Scots or Mugo. Bill Valavanis told me he had a lot of his students lose a lot of their JBP one especially cold winter. They were in the habit of overwintering them in their unheated garages which worked just fine for years. Until it didn’t.

He now concentrates on Scots pine. Because of his climate.
And Bill has mild winters compared to mine.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It was Vance Hannah,Vance.
You know how much he likes them. He wanted to know if I had any. I said no because it's too cold. He didnt seem to think so. I also said my growing season is too short to be decandling twice.
I know a JBP would be very short lived here. A Japanese red pine and a Japanese white pine probably couldn't handle it here either.
I dont believe Vance knows what 20 plus degrees below zero for a couple weeks a year is like.
Actually Mr. Hanna knows, he only lives about ten miles from me. He has pretty good luck with them and I do not know how he does it. I know someone who can grow procumbens Juniper indoors and had done so for more than twenty years. Where there's a rule we're gunna break it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always have been admiring your dedication Adair!If I may ask Adair, what is it that you expect this cut back branch to do?
Thank you!
That cut back branch is dead. I left the stub on because the branch to the right of it has a guy wire on it pulling it back towards the stub. It will take its place. Every couple months, I tighten the guy wire pulling the branch closer to where the stub is. Each time, I’m able to move it maybe 1/2 inch.

Eventually, I’ll just cut the stub off.

Doing this shortened the branch on that side by about 4 inches.

Top Bottom