Thickening hornbeam apex

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I cannot seem to get the apex on this Korean hornbeam to grow vigorously enough to thicken to match the rest of the trunk. I do virtually no pruning of it yet the branches put out only a few leaves and stop, whilst the lower secondary trunk has grown from a bud in only a few years. The original, lovely, apex died so maybe that’s a clue to it’s basal dominance.
E01E7D6F-9E66-4B4B-BAA3-0D8E00A60909.jpeg
Not being savvy in the ways of hornbeam is there a method available to balance and redirect the energy to the apex such as selective defoliation or pruning? I repot every other year, should I put it in a larger pot for more vigor?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not aware of anything specific. They are not (for me) that apically dominant. Note the old trunk chop scar. The circulation to your apex may have be slightly compromised, and it may simply be weak. The only solution is time, and no pruning of the apex while restraining growth elsewhere. Eventually the tree will get the point :)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done!
I just takes time and care.
That lowest lower left side branch is fantastic. The guy wire is excellent. Mighty fine work!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks both of you. As with all my trees I learn as I go. I continued wiring and refining after that pic but I don’t think it looks much different. Another pic in a few years. Hopefully I’ll get some better ramification.

Top Bottom