Opinions on a Dan Robinson idea about thickening the trunk?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is right and there is right, and there is everything in between.
Perhaps another stray, yet associated thought….

“Is I right or is I left?”.… BFG by Ronald Dahl

Happy New Year!
DSD sends

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yup, this is what I have been theorizing too re. something I see happening in a garden near me.

A befriended bonsai couple near me never allows their trees to grow out. They start pinching from day one. Heavy fertilizer. In a bonsai pot. Full sun. And they get trunk development to the max, where people see trees they bought a few years before as nursery pencils, and now are show-worthy, several inch thick maples.
I think this was 12 years in a pot, from a cutting.
Good subject for an interview and garden visit on your channel!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Japanese Whit Pine that has been in a grow box for 34 years. It is a cultivar of unknown origin and has quite a swollen rootstock, so bonsai its not. I'll have to get a picture of it when its not drizzly and cold outside.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Strange how timely this thread got resurrected as I just stumbled on a Dan Robinson youtube video last night for the first time. David Easterbrook was touring his amazing garden and talking about not repotting and I was like say what? Rewind. Fascinating chat about him noticing in nature how young trees growing straight up until ultimately mature where top dies off and new side growth becomes twisted and Gnarly! I'm now inspired to go buy that book and learn more.

Top Bottom