The Worlds Ugliest Black Pine, Unfortunately It Is Mine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IF lack of green does not kill is interesting looking tree. Agree JBP is no excitement zone. Reverse taper can be somewhat compensated by pick of viewing angle/front. If surviving then passing on to fellow club member/auctioning is good option;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any beginning of a verdict John?

I was just reading JWI's azalea thread...

I thought about how many pretty Azaleas you have, and this tree...

I think this tree would look cool on a stand, paired with an azalea, and a simple grass accent for a 3 point display...

I don't remember if you display...
But I think it would be cool to view.

Oh and...

Amidst all that pretty, this one MUST stick out like a sore thumb!
Likely increasing its ugly factor in your eyes.

Hopefully this is not in vain!

I was just thinking about how I converted my old 1920's concrete trash bin into a composter....

I might have to look into reconverting it to a wood burning kiln!

My next job is up by a place that does ceramics classes, where I can likely borrow kiln space.

Haven't forgotten about you brother!
Please keep dropping reminders!

A dude I work with asked me to go to his wedding....I was like hell no! My list of things to do is way to great for that!
You are still on my list!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
My God man, do you ever sleep? lol

I am glad that I am still on your list, I am on a lot of lists....S-lists mostly, lol

Seriously, I am working midnights and yesterday when I got in I went out and checked on the trees before some sack time. The pine's candles has slightly enlarged and there are a few buds (very few) expanding along some of the bare branches, it remains to be seen if this is recovery or just expending some energy on what it had already started before it dies, a last gasp, if will.

It is cool that you are seriously thinking of pottery, I thought you were kidding, it will be interesting to see what that mind of yours can come up with, lol. I have often thought of trying to make my own pots, we actually made some pinch pots at one of our club meetings. But, I have too many irons in the fire to start a new adventure at this time.

I am currently coming up with a plan organize the back yard better, it is on the small size. I had five acres and a 30 x 50 workshop seven years ago, got divorced an now have just a regular residential lot and a 16 x 24 shop. I had/ have a lot of culling to do. I will keep your idea in mind about the pine with the azaleas when coming up with a plan. I have really never displayed any of my trees, just a few club shows (my club has a display/ showing at the local library once a year) and once for one my wife's lady group as they were intrigued by the art.

Keep fighting the good fight, if you are ever down around the Heart of Dixie - - the beers on me.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thought you were kidding,

No no my friend!
Not this time!

I got faith In That tree!

I recently thought how few, if any, American potters make simple Brown clay pots....
Clean lines like the good old stuff...

But yes, some off the wall stuff is likely...
But usually ideas come while performing, so I won't know what that stuff will be, until I drop some wet clay on the floor and get inspired!

You come up...Beefs, yes beefs, on me!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce you're a wild man. - for what it is worth, if you use that concrete bin as a kiln, you risk flying shrapnel from chips of concrete blowing out due to moisture in its cracks. You'd get one or two firings, then the whole thing will fall apart the next winter. That kind of concrete won't handle the heat. Keep it as a compost bin.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce you're a wild man. - for what it is worth, if you use that concrete bin as a kiln, you risk flying shrapnel from chips of concrete blowing out due to moisture in its cracks. You'd get one or two firings, then the whole thing will fall apart the next winter. That kind of concrete won't handle the heat. Keep it as a compost bin.

I went and read enough on it to have kiln ads here!

Looked up the temps cuz I know OxyActlyne pops it in my friggin eye!

Glad someone came and saved me, and maybe someone else from disaster!

I got a shitload of bricks though!

Thanks Leo!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Mellow Mullet one of Sonny Bog's pots might really suit the pine well. Especially if you could get one of his with a dragon crawling around the rim. I have a plain namban style from him and it is really elegant and simple if you think his more fanciful designs are too much.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet one of Sonny Bog's pots might really suit the pine well. Especially if you could get one of his with a dragon crawling around the rim. I have a plain namban style from him and it is really elegant and simple if you think his more fanciful designs are too much.

I love those dragon pots, and dragons in general. I will check into to it. Thanks!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Lynn August also makes really elegant pots, and most of hers are less than $75.

I have tried to win several of these on the FB auction, I hope to be successful one day. There is a potter named Sam Miller that I like, I might have him make me one. If it lives, I will probably let it rest a while in the mica training pot.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have tried to win several of these on the FB auction, I hope to be successful one day. There is a potter named Sam Miller that I like, I might have him make me one. If it lives, I will probably let it rest a while in the mica training pot.
They only way to ''win'' a Lynn August pot is to go for the buy it now. It is very rare for her pots to go for less than the buy it now price. That was the only way I got mine.

I do agree to let it rest. It is not longer a ''young seedling'', its old enough it would probably be best to not repot more than every 2 years.

Lynn August - inv no 1715 - 1-625 x 6 round - Dec31-2015b.jpg Lynn August - inv no 1715 - 1-625 x 6 round - Dec31-2015.jpg Lynn August - inv no 1715 - 1-625 x 6 round - Dec31-2015a.jpg Lynn August - inv no 1715 - 1-625 x 6 round - Dec31-2015c.jpg

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yea, that's one ugly tree. Keep us posted. ;)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They only way to ''win'' a Lynn August pot is to go for the buy it now. It is very rare for her pots to go for less than the buy it now price. That was the only way I got mine.

I do agree to let it rest. It is not longer a ''young seedling'', its old enough it would probably be best to not repot more than every 2 years.

View attachment 135724 View attachment 135725 View attachment 135726 View attachment 135727

I may just have to bite the bullet on the Lynn August pot, but those dragon pots are cool, though.

John

Top Bottom