The Trophy 2024 - 17/18 February 2024 - Genk Belgium

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The issue is the phytosanitary requirements, because theoretically if someone from the UK purchased something in the EU and paid VAT on it, they could get that back on the way out...

VAT in NL is lower on trees (9%) than in the rest of the EU, FWIW...
The trees in your website: did you grow all those?? Purchase them all? They’re quite stunning, wow. Every. Single. Tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
The issue is the phytosanitary requirements, because theoretically if someone from the UK purchased something in the EU and paid VAT on it, they could get that back on the way out...

VAT in NL is lower on trees (9%) than in the rest of the EU, FWIW...

And I believe the phyto certificate also comes from Holland so that would be the route

for many here the red tape is the barrier and there is a lot of varying information circulated.

I very much doubt the people showing at the trophy from the UK are liable for any VAT on trees they are showing either!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
he people showing at the trophy from the UK are liable for any VAT on trees they are showing either
They probably do a temporary export, meaning, you leave the country with the goods, with the intent of bringing them back in.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember Tony Tickle talking about the hoops to jump through to exhibit, and nowadays only a couple of folks enter trees, maybe we'll get more proficient at it, or some new deals can be achieved with a new government in the Autumn 😉

On the buying side, yeah I think it's just a hassle on the small scale, few can be bothered for a tree or two. On the larger scale its fine, garden centres are full of EU plants. Andcontainers full of Japanese trees are making their way over as we speak, so long as they make it through the gulf of Aden, or the long way round!

Anyway we digress, will be an amazing show for sure

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I will not be there this year.

Last year it got a little too crowded for my taste in the sales area. I can only bump into people 180 times before I get annoyed. Especially when carrying pots.
I lost two and paid for them still, because some guy slapped them from my hands, but I think some crowd management might be good. I'm doing my part by staying home :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it got a little too crowded
I am concerned this year will be worse, as the show was SO GOOD last year. Might draw in more people. Time for the trophy to find an even bigger venue! When they moved here a few years back we were all concerned the venue was too big, hahah.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it possible to pay with credit cards in the sales area, or do I need to bring cash?

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Last years I was able to pay with my bankcard at most of the stands.
But as Jelle said take some cash with you to be sure you can pay if you see something you want to buy.

Another option would be a banktransfer (or payment request) with you bank app.

Reaction score
some guy slapped them from my hands

Bro... That's insane. Sucks all the fun out. I remember hearing that last year yeah, had no idea that was you. A new, bigger venue would defo not be bad.

@Matte91, @leatherback is right but don't rely on those ATMs. Last year it took me well over a half an hour to get enough cash.

I'm looking forward to it so much guys, I'm almost exploding!!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bro... That's insane. Sucks all the fun out. I remember hearing that last year yeah, had no idea that was you. A new, bigger venue would defo not be bad.

@Matte91, @leatherback is right but don't rely on those ATMs. Last year it took me well over a half an hour to get enough cash.

I'm looking forward to it so much guys, I'm almost exploding!!!
It was an accident, the guy was talking with someone else and made a gesture, knocking the pots out of my hands.
Those things happen sometimes... At least, that's what I kept telling myself.

I hope this year there's a nicer spread of people.

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
I have also booked tickets and am already looking forward to my first big bonsai exhibition. So far I have only seen dealers who have prepared their program locally. The trees in the exhibition, the sales area and above all the shows. I'm very excited to see what awaits me and whether I can pick up a few snaps. I will be starting my training as a bonsai designer in March and I think I'm off to a good start :) Maybe I will meet some people near my neighborhood so I can stay in contact with them.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have also booked tickets and am already looking forward to my first big bonsai exhibition. So far I have only seen dealers who have prepared their program locally. The trees in the exhibition, the sales area and above all the shows. I'm very excited to see what awaits me and whether I can pick up a few snaps. I will be starting my training as a bonsai designer in March and I think I'm off to a good start :) Maybe I will meet some people near my neighborhood so I can stay in contact with them.
Come say hi!
Bonsai designer at dusseldorf?

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Come say hi!
Bonsai designer at dusseldorf?
Yes exactly. Since our last live conversation I've thought a lot about whether or not to do it and yes it's a lot of money. But the fact that I meet up with people with a similarly mindset, three times a year for a weekend and have extensive discussions has made me decide to do it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I remember Tony Tickle talking about the hoops to jump through to exhibit, and nowadays only a couple of folks enter trees, maybe we'll get more proficient at it, or some new deals can be achieved with a new government in the Autumn 😉

On the buying side, yeah I think it's just a hassle on the small scale, few can be bothered for a tree or two. On the larger scale its fine, garden centres are full of EU plants. Andcontainers full of Japanese trees are making their way over as we speak, so long as they make it through the gulf of Aden, or the long way round!

Anyway we digress, will be an amazing show for sure
Tony is going and he's showing a Pine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The trees in your website: did you grow all those?? Purchase them all? They’re quite stunning, wow. Every. Single. Tree.
Too kind.

I collect a lot, I grow a lot (many cuttings and some seeds) and I buy a lot...I have a lot at this point.

If you go to my photostream here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbury/ you can see what I'm up to on a weekly basis.

Here's a little Privet I grew and repotted a couple of weeks ago - in a pot I bought at the Trophy last year:
IMG_6639 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Too kind.

I collect a lot, I grow a lot (many cuttings and some seeds) and I buy a lot...I have a lot at this point.

If you go to my photostream here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbury/ you can see what I'm up to on a weekly basis.

Here's a little Privet I grew and repotted a couple of weeks ago - in a pot I bought at the Trophy last year:
IMG_6639 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr
wow this is really impressive. i just clicked through your photos and got so much inspiration. It really is a great collection that you have put together. I hope that one day I'll get to the point where I have so much know-how that I can master so many species and different techniques

Top Bottom