The Tree Thread

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
...and a closeup of the gnarly roots. They weren't all that careful with potting.
I have multiple trees from them and I have found they have all been potted great. Is that the soil that came with the tree because it does not appear to be what I normally see for their mix?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have multiple trees from them and I have found they have all been potted great. Is that the soil that came with the tree because it does not appear to be what I normally see for their mix?

It's a little weird, I know. I bought it on an ebay auction, and it was not advertised in their name. The woman who shipped the tree to me had the last name, though, and their nursery tag was on the tree. 🤔

The soil is mine, as a fair amount of the fine akadama that came in the pot was missing. The tree was also somewhat loose in the pot. I inquired about it, and she said it was recently repotted. Not wired in either! Like I said, weird.

Ficus benjamina project:

0416211015_HDR.jpg

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The woman who shipped the tree to me had the last name, though, and their nursery tag was on the tree. 🤔

I inquired about it, and she said it was recently repotted. Not wired in either! Like I said, weird.

If it has their tag it's probably from them and I've never got a tree there that is wired in so far from them which makes me nervous walking around the nursery. 😂

Azalea from there by the way and probably over potted in a @sorce joint but I like it. Too bad I didn't see blooms this year.

20210504_184424.jpg

Attachments

• 20210329_173417.jpg
    20210329_173417.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 6

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Beautiful tree! I have been dreaming about birch ...

Beech actually. Purchased two years ago from a woman in the Sacramento area who was downsizing. Apparently imported from Japan about 20 years ago. It's a little tricky in our summer hear, but it's coming together!

never got a tree there that is wired in so far from them which makes me nervous walking around the nursery.

Truth!

Here's another from Maruyama. Purchased this Itoigawa from their back lot two years ago with the two large branches heading vertical in a big V. Repotted into a bigger (that was a mistake) nursery bucket with one branch about parallel to the ground. Then twisted and bent the other branch 90 degrees. Idea is to have three layers of foliage. The large lower layer is dialed in (and needs cut back) and the foliage is coming in nicely for the middle layer. Apex will become the top pad, obviously. It just got crammed into the Sara Rayner pot a month ago and it's cranking out growth, so I reckon I can wire again to get that middle pad in shape. Didn't miss a beat after cutting back 3/4 of its roots which needed untangling. Need to figure out what to do with that big root sticking up. Not a fan of the window it creates.

IMG-8030.jpg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here’s an update on the top pine from this post about 16 months ago...
Things are progressing.
🍺
E7311557-F865-44A1-90B3-37A90C29C545.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This little winged elm has become one of my favorite trees. It's not close to my best, but it's 100% my work. I pulled it out of my flower bed as a seedling in June 2016, so this represents 5 years work. It's in a Chuck Iker pot.
20210506_124041.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i need to get better at bonsai photos

y8y1YXE.jpg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a closeout sale at a pre-bonsai nursery nearby. One of the brother owners died last year and the remaining brother wanted to retire.

0C8B979C-9D75-4BBD-B9A4-F84D7C4E6B47.jpeg
I picked up this 10-year trident maple for $10.

FC1DD08F-5845-42A8-AE0A-E10E090D5408.jpeg
Today I started its trunk chop project 😎

Next year I should be able to dig down quite a bit to find good basal flare. This is the sort of nursery tree where the soil keeps piling up. If that’s not the case then an air layer should solve it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20210508_163959.jpg
Another Japanese maple forest from seeds sown in 2014. Except for a few added one year old seedlings, this group was in a grow tray until 2 years ago. It spent a year in the ground, then I potted it last year. I repotted into the current pot by Nao Tokutake this spring, and moved the trees around a bit. The tallest tree will be left to grow out for a few years (cut back in the fall) to thicken the trunk.

Top Bottom