The Rosemary Thread

This is... Admirable!

Really, it's very difficult to make such a beautiful bonsai from rosemary, and yours is top notch. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

OK, the stand really sucks (*) but the tree and the pot look great.

(*) Joking.
Though I find it a bit "massive" for such an aerial tree... ;)

Thanks! In the ground, mine thrive. I've cut back to watering every other day or so because they always start looking ratty once I get them in a pot. Dieback on the ends seems to be my biggest issue. I'll try watering twice a day for a bit and see if I can get some positive results. Thanks Again!

This is... Admirable!

Really, it's very difficult to make such a beautiful bonsai from rosemary, and yours is top notch. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

(*) Joking.
I agree about the stand. Such a delicate feminine tree so the stand could certainly "stand" to be less masculine/rugged. But really, beautiful tree!

This is... Admirable!

(*) Joking.
Yes the stand isn't very Japanese.:) Some would say a juxtaposition....that's art talk! ;);)

Thanks! In the ground, mine thrive. I've cut back to watering every other day or so because they always start looking ratty once I get them in a pot. Dieback on the ends seems to be my biggest issue. I'll try watering twice a day for a bit and see if I can get some positive results. Thanks Again!
Just might be the first year in a pot and they're adjusting. If you have them in some variation of APL watering twice may help. It may just be the lose of bigger roots in the reduction.The only reason I would water twice is to cool the pot down on a really hot day. We're getting some humid, upper 80s heat these days and the trees just seem to shut down the use of water. One other thing I've discovered, don't prune them unless they're actively growing. I did the big one in November after bringing it in for the winter. It did not like that at all and is still pouting.

I agree about the stand. Such a delicate feminine tree so the stand could certainly "stand" to be less masculine/rugged. But really, beautiful tree!
Me too...
I especially like the pot pairing, but feel the muscular stand steals attention.
Scroll just enough to hide it -- 💕

Just might be the first year in a pot and they're adjusting. If you have them in some variation of APL watering twice may help. It may just be the lose of bigger roots in the reduction.The only reason I would water twice is to cool the pot down on a really hot day. We're getting some humid, upper 80s heat these days and the trees just seem to shut down the use of water. One other thing I've discovered, don't prune them unless they're actively growing. I did the big one in November after bringing it in for the winter. It did not like that at all and is still pouting.
I put one of mine in a large cascade container (it's been in and out of a bonsai pot at least three other times). The pot is about 18" deep and I was hoping it would react much like the one you have in the faux cascade pot. But of course it's a rosemary so it gave me the middle finger and hasn't stopped pouting all summer. I do have it in the shade so maybe that hasn't helped things either. I'll continue to cater to it - that's about all we can do.. Thanks!

Focus on the tree people. It's not at a show or anything. :)

View attachment 394377

There, is that better? (Sorry Mr. B)
Actually Vin, this is for a show. 😎 It’s for the big show in a couple weeks. I do agree with the criticism and rethinking 🤔🤔. You don’t really notice stuff until you take a photo and see it 2-d.

As for your in and out of the pot issue. I would go for as big a pot as visually palatable, stick with it through the die-back and redesign when it’s settled in. I don’t think you’re doing it any favors taking it in and out of the ground.

Actually Vin, this is for a show. 😎 It’s for the big show in a couple weeks. I do agree with the criticism and rethinking 🤔🤔. You don’t really notice stuff until you take a photo and see it 2-d.

As for your in and out of the pot issue. I would go for as big a pot as visually palatable, stick with it through the die-back and redesign when it’s settled in. I don’t think you’re doing it any favors taking it in and out of the ground.
Well in that case, can you flip the stand? It may work.

Glad to see you around here @Vin .
Thanks! I haven't gone anywhere. I check in from time to time and see if there's anything I can contribute to. Believe it or not, I'm still trying to get my house back together from Hurricane Michael in October of 2018...

Back
Top Bottom