The Growing Ground.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not to be confused with the business in North Carolina with the name “The Growing Grounds”.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no idea if it's common or not. I don't know of anyone who grows the way I do.

How do you grow them!? They look really refined with great branches for prebonsai stock.. well done!

And what about those trees on the bench!? Isn't it time for them to come down??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you grow them!? They look really refined with great branches for prebonsai stock.. well done!

And what about those trees on the bench!? Isn't it time for them to come down??
I stopped trying to grow them under a commercial model. I stopped tilling. I mulch a lot and work towards cultivation of beneficial microbes and what not. It turns out that this makes for great shallow root systems. I also trim them constantly getting up to 4 or 5 flushed of growth on my larch a season. Its an evolving process but seems to be moving in the right direction.

As for putting trees away, we haven't had sustained freezing so I leave everything out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oldgrowth was preserved because the ravine was too steep for the clearcutting that happened in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Thanks God for Elevation changes!

Nice!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I lived on Keuka lake for a summer. It is one of the most beautiful areas of New York. I have considered trying to move out that way but I'm an engineer and there is not much for work unless I want to travel to Rochester.

I worked at a winery when I was out there. They were ripping out one of the vineyards, chardonnay grapes if I remember correctly. They had a couple of bad winters in a row that hit the grapes hard. Only about half the grapes survived and the ones that did were not producing enough to make it worth keeping. Most of the vines were over 30 years old. I'm sure some of them could have made fantastic bonsai.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome pic. looks like a miniature forest. I'm aiming for the same thing

Top Bottom