The Flying Dragon

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You should get one.
With covid...I won't be venturing to the larger city where that nursery was. I may ask my local nursery if their Ohio grower has access to them. That is as far as I'm venturing out right now. They order things in for me all the time when their spring order goes in. I'm wanting dwarf cattail the way it is...and needed to reach out to them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the old pot. Something about the round being too perfect. The thorns tearing through the canvass of the drum.

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
🙋‍♀️ another one who likes the round pot!!!

Thanks again John for your guidance earlier.
So tell me John... @Mellow Mullet ... repotting one of those with that wide spread canopy. Is it a lot like handling a feral cat? Lol something I mentioned to a friend the other day...in reference to doing a repot.
I like a round pot because I sometimes have trouble selecting a front. I wish this one had been a bit deeper, but is was all that I had on hand. FWIW, the old pot was just a mica training pot, I wanted to give it a little more room.

Actually, a feral cat is easier, lol.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like a round pot because I sometimes have trouble selecting a front. I wish this one had been a bit deeper, but is was all that I had on hand. FWIW, the old pot was just a mica training pot, I wanted to give it a little more room.

Actually, a feral cat is easier, lol.
Out of curiosity...what size is the pot. I tend to also like round for that very reason to be honest.

Lol that's what I was afraid of. (Feral cat reference.)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are very hard to work with. They do not like wire and are very stiff and somewhat brittle. They take a long time to set and are a whole lot easier to use guy-lines on than wire, which is a painful experience.
I created a thread on the one that arrived here. Wired it the other day. And my assessment also goes with John's. It bit a few times...but no blood was shed. I wired up four branches that needed put into place. My thread I have a video of that work. But very flexible what I worked with. Did I miss the one you have in training? I knew you had one in the landscape.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Flying Dragon, she's a good thirty years old. I've had it in my collection for the past ten years and most of that time spent in a large grow box, two foot square by eight inches deep. I picked it up during my turface trails and it was in pure turface. Last spring it got the first root work and downsized to a mica pot 20"x13 id. The tree stands about 30" from the soil line.
I battled scale and the deer for the past three years and she's been pretty weak. I finally sprayed the whole tree down with alcohol and got rid of the scale and moved the tree to a location that's deer safe.
I've never used any wire and have proceeded strictly clip and grow.
The soil is pumice.
Pics forthcoming.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Flying Dragon, she's a good thirty years old. I've had it in my collection for the past ten years and most of that time spent in a large grow box, two foot square by eight inches deep. I picked it up during my turface trails and it was in pure turface. Last spring it got the first root work and downsized to a mica pot 20"x13 id. The tree stands about 30" from the soil line.
I battled scale and the deer for the past three years and she's been pretty weak. I finally sprayed the whole tree down with alcohol and got rid of the scale and moved the tree to a location that's deer safe.
The soil is pumice.
Pics forthcoming.
Hey Rick! Good to see you posting! Small world eh?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil is pumice.
Pics forthcoming.

imagejpeg_2_3.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_0_4.jpgimagejpeg_1_4.jpg

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow!

The 😍and the 😯 up there made me think about how....

Here's a situation that debunks the "follow people who's trees you admire" BS!

Sometimes you just can't admire the trees, because someones location disallows you the knowledge of what their trees ARE!

Makes me think of how everyone rides @Potawatomi13 for not posting pics.

Shame on us!

Sorce

Top Bottom