the Cloud

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, I'm curious.......the last time that I've seen or heard of it was in 1993 at the second world convention in Orlando. It's the original narrow leaf ficus discovered by Joe Samuels, a huge thing with aerial roots dropping out of it's canopy. Styled as a banyon. Incredible bit of work. It was named " the Cloud" or " Cloudburst". Does anyone know of this tree, if it's still living, or it's whereabouts? Thanks

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Would be interested in hearing about its whereabouts as well. I bet it's a good story. Maybe the Bonsai Societies of Florida would have a good guess at least?

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be interested in hearing about its whereabouts as well. I bet it's a good story. Maybe the Bonsai Societies of Florida would have a good guess at least?
Hey Solange, I connected with Mary Miller via email yesterday. The last time she saw it was between 95- 97. Joe passed away in 97. The tree had fallen into terrible disrepair after being sold to a friend of his...............wildly overgrown in the top and roots. She said that he was completely heartbroken over it. Tried to bring it back to form, she didn't mention if it worked or not. She hasn't seen it since then. I was kind of bummed to hear about it as this thing was incredible. I've never been much on tropical trees but that one was just killer. What a shame. That tree was exemplary for tropical species. I met Joe in 87 at a convention in Fort Walton Beach, my first bonsai convention. He helped me pick out a buttonwood from one of the vendors, Mary Madison, if I'm remembering correctly. Extremely nice guy!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow. That's sad. At least we know one thing, the story doesn't end there. Maybe its still floating around somewhere? Maybe it got chopped up into cuttings and is floating around inconspicuously amongst it's genetic brethren? :eek: There seems to be another example of a similar age, though if we believe the story of the salicarias origin it must be younger, because the cloud was the "first". At least we might take comfort in that, even if the story goes no further, if you own a willow leaf you own a piece of the cloud? Here is the link to one supposedly of similar age created originally by dave bogan but passed down to a new generation - http://www.banyanbonsai.com/#/mountains/ Thanks for looking into it Steve. Maybe I'll do a bit of digging myself. This, and other mystery trees, are fascinating.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. That's sad. At least we know one thing, the story doesn't end there. Maybe its still floating around somewhere? Maybe it got chopped up into cuttings and is floating around inconspicuously amongst it's genetic brethren? :eek: There seems to be another example of a similar age, though if we believe the story of the salicarias origin it must be younger, because the cloud was the "first". At least we might take comfort in that, even if the story goes no further, if you own a willow leaf you own a piece of the cloud? Here is the link to one supposedly of similar age created originally by dave bogan but passed down to a new generation - http://www.banyanbonsai.com/#/mountains/ Thanks for looking into it Steve. Maybe I'll do a bit of digging myself. This, and other mystery trees, are fascinating.
That one is a really good one as well. As you said, it's certainly related. If I understood Mary's article, Joe didn't start propagating it until 1975 . Were there others brought in during the 10 year period from his finding of it until the time he started reproducing it? who knows? If not, all the rest had to come from that one, I suppose. It's an interesting thing indeed to see trees that I saw early on and see current pictures of them. There have been a number of them in recent times, one on here. A Dan Robinson tree from around 1985. Saw it in an old BCI magazine article. Then maybe 2 years ago, I think it was Colin Fraser who posted pics from a California convention, there it was. I kept looking at it thinking,......something familiar about this one. Well, sure enough, it was. One other was an ancient shimpaku from the slip cover of Mr. Kyuzo Murata's, " Masters Book of Bonsai". Well, I saw a video a year or two ago of his garden and there it was. It looks a little different than it did 30 years ago, but still a good tree. Hey Sir, thanks for commenting!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The first image is called "The Son of Cloud" and is a tree developed from a cutting taken from The Cloud. The second image is a tree developed from a cutting taken from The Son of Cloud. Both are big, well developed trees. Son of Cloud is shown in a 20" or 22" round pot. I sold them both sometime around 2010 or so.

DSC_8988.JPG DSC_0380.JPG

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That's pretty cool, and please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all salicaria cuttings from the cloud? We're these substantial pieces of it? Also since you obviously dealt with these do you have any more history of what happened to the 'mother'? I did a search but didn't come up with much. Would love to unravel a little more of the history and happy to have someone in the trade stepping in and filling in pieces! I am sure Steve appreciates it as well. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Son of Cloud was not a giant cutting; just a cutting that was grown out and developed into a big bonsai. The root-over-rock was developed from a thumb sized cutting. They grow quickly and add a lot of mass if given the proper conditions and 20 years time. Not all salicaria came from The Cloud. Unfortunately, I cannot help provide any more info on The Cloud. I don't know where it went or whether its still in existence. Trees like that fall into disrepair when owners become old or ill or uninterested, then die or are given away/sold to someone and the historical chain is broken, sometimes forever. As an example, I sold the Son of Cloud to a guy who killed it in a year. Gone. Just like that. It happens.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe it's just the scale of the trees, but the leaves seem a lot smaller/shorter than on other Willow Leaf figs I am familiar with.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Don, thanks for chiming in on this one. Too bad to hear about Son of Cloud but, I suppose that it just the way it goes sometimes. People just can't seem to grasp the simple matter of fact that these things can't survive without water, probably the main reason some of these things die. I realize that there might be other factors involved when a tree dies but usually a lack of water is the main cause, at least in my experience. Years ago, I spent 5 years developing a tree for a nurseryman/ landscaper buddy of mine. He bought a nice pot for it and I potted for him. I told him several times before he left for home with it, don't let this thing go without water for even a day in the south Ga. summer. Well, he didn't take me at my word. About 4 months later, he brings this burnt up, post toastee of a tree back to me wondering what went wrong and what to do about it. All I could tell him was to deposit it in file 13, it's gone. Oh well!! Maybe some of the Floridians will see this and be able to offer some ideas about it. Everything I've been able to find about it stops around 95-97.

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So the legend that all salicaria are from the cloud is wrong? I figured that might be the case, but since it's still undiscovered in its wild habitat (as far as I know) the cloud shares a common source as the others right? That is one part of the legend I would like to believe - that we are all growing a clone of one plant that was imported from unknown origin. The mystery, the intrigue!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Talking to I believe Seth, he looked it up. There are quite a few willow leaf type ficus.
Down here and in Venezuela, we have the Ficus priminoides and it also weeps.
Found on walls and roof tops as well as trees.

I hope the - Cloud - is safe and healthy ----------- beautiful effort

Good Day
Anthony

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Anthony, I am aware of a couple of willow leaf types. Your priminoides you have posted have been nice to watch. I know there is the Ali as well. I'm sure there are others, but none are salicaria are they?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Solange ,

Apologies, never really studied ficus, especially since apart from Ficus p. most grow poorly for us.
I mean here in South Trinidad, in K's yard.
Up north they have large specimen ficus trees of a British import, non glossy leaves and marble sized
yellow fruit. Might work ?

To be frank Solange, the yard here is filled with Tamarinds, Sageretias, Gmelinas, and quite a J.B.pines.
But not too many Ficus [ Fici ? ]

Nice one on the - quest for fire bit .
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom