The boxwood that had to go

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We recently bought our first home and have been working on this and that as you do when realize you have too much shit to do. I had been painting for a while and turned my attention to a new project. We had to put in a new dryer vent (the old one didn't vent to the exterior) and we decided to try and stick it between our propane tanks. Well, we missed the mark and had to move the propane tank. Since I had to dig this up anyway, I thought I would try and save it.

I was really surprised to see so many healthy roots. The topsoil only does down about 6-8 inches and then turns to clay. I assume this is why they were in such good condition and had spread evenly in the topsoil. It was a backbreaker until I got all the clay off the bottom but that always makes the beer taste better.

I just finished up and got it situated in a mixing tub with some Brussels bag soil I found at Walmart this year. I had to add a bit of pine chips around the base of the tree (not pictured) to make sure all the fine roots didn't dry out since I hadn't planned on advance and didn't have enough good soil on hand. I went ahead and trimmed it back but wanted to give it some room to bud back and still keep some healthy foliage. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update towards the end of the season with hopefully good news!

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_122553.jpg
    IMG_20170729_122553.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 8886c619-7d29-4dff-9cd9-ac1b2c00c67c.jpg
    8886c619-7d29-4dff-9cd9-ac1b2c00c67c.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20170729_145350.jpg
    IMG_20170729_145350.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170729_154845.jpg
    IMG_20170729_154845.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20170729_154854.jpg
    IMG_20170729_154854.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170729_154913.jpg
    IMG_20170729_154913.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 121

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great lower trunk. If I could give you any advice, it would be to cut those secondary trunks back much harder. You'll be happy you did a few years from now. Good luck!
I'm always up for good advice so thanks for that.

Is that something you think I should do now? I had thought about that but was afraid to chop off all the foliage this late in the year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be fine!

Nice!

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhhhh...projects...like that dryer vent. Gotta love those projects that that keep spinning off into another project...getting bigger and more complex each time. A good idea turns into a massive project in a short time....and usually involves several trips to the hardware store or other DIY stores. A lot of head scratching involved usually....and lots of expressions.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ahhhhh...projects...like that dryer vent. Gotta love those projects that that keep spinning off into another project...getting bigger and more complex each time. A good idea turns into a massive project in a short time....and usually involves several trips to the hardware store or other DIY stores. A lot of head scratching involved usually....and lots of expressions.
This is our first place that we can put down our own family roots so I'm excited for that. But, oh man. Lots of stuff to do...it's fun half of the time and the other half requires a stiff drink.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm always up for good advice so thanks for that.

Is that something you think I should do now? I had thought about that but was afraid to chop off all the foliage this late in the year.
You'd probably be fine doing it now, but if you want to wait until late next winter, after the tree is settled in the pot, that'd be ok, too.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is our first place that we can put down our own family roots so I'm excited for that. But, oh man. Lots of stuff to do...it's fun half of the time and the other half requires a stiff drink.

Great that your building a "home". Thanks for your service. Bless your family.......

Don't be afraid to sneak in a couple "flaccid drinks"....heheheee...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Don't work boxwoods, myself...just wanted to work in a @sorce vibe.....:confused::cool::cool::eek::D:D:D:D:D

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You'd probably be fine doing it now, but if you want to wait until late next winter, after the tree is settled in the pot, that'd be ok, too.
I think I will. Not because I don't trust your advice, but just because I want to give this guy every chance I can since I dug it out of season and it is such a nice trunk. I lost a couple of my collected trees from SC and it hurt. But regardless, thanks for the advice and your comments.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great that your building a "home". Thanks for your service. Bless your family.......

Don't be afraid to sneak in a couple "flaccid drinks"....heheheee...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Don't work boxwoods, myself...just wanted to work in a @sorce vibe.....:confused::cool::cool::eek::D:D:D:D:D
Thanks Lance! I appreciate the kind words. Lots of great folks here.

And if there's one thing about me you should know, nothing is ever flaccid around here!! :D:D

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We recently bought our first home and have been working on this and that as you do when realize you have too much shit to do. I had been painting for a while and turned my attention to a new project. We had to put in a new dryer vent (the old one didn't vent to the exterior) and we decided to try and stick it between our propane tanks. Well, we missed the mark and had to move the propane tank. Since I had to dig this up anyway, I thought I would try and save it.

I was really surprised to see so many healthy roots. The topsoil only does down about 6-8 inches and then turns to clay. I assume this is why they were in such good condition and had spread evenly in the topsoil. It was a backbreaker until I got all the clay off the bottom but that always makes the beer taste better.

I just finished up and got it situated in a mixing tub with some Brussels bag soil I found at Walmart this year. I had to add a bit of pine chips around the base of the tree (not pictured) to make sure all the fine roots didn't dry out since I hadn't planned on advance and didn't have enough good soil on hand. I went ahead and trimmed it back but wanted to give it some room to bud back and still keep some healthy foliage. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update towards the end of the season with hopefully good news!
I like the attitude in the second pick- don't take any shit off that tree Jarrod!

Looks like a Monster! Hope it works out well for you..

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
For the past few days I have really been thinking of finding a boxwood somewhere and digging it up. Taking something abandoned giving it a loving home and some structure. Maybe that is just me justifying my urges to do something rash and destructive.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For the past few days I have really been thinking of finding a boxwood somewhere and digging it up.

I know that they are popular in landscaping and as hedge plants here. If that is the case there, just look around. Some folks may be glad you asked. Of course others may tell you to get the hell out there, but you never know. Good luck!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Signs of life from the boxwood I collected from my landscaping a few weeks ago. Lots of fresh buds popping and new shoots beginning to extend from old foliage. Looks like it's gonna pull through!

Attachments

• IMG_20170825_171544.jpg
    IMG_20170825_171544.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170825_171714.jpg
    IMG_20170825_171714.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom