Boxwood Styling from Nursery Stock

MujiRyan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The first photo shows the boxwood I bought from a nursery last year after initially styling/repotting. The second photo shows what it looks like today after a pretty extreme styling. I never knew what to do with this tree until now, and I think I like it. I know my wiring isn't the greatest, but I'm fine with it lol. Also, does anyone know about how long you should plan to leave wire on a boxwood? I would appreciate any styling tips you may have...

Attachments

• 435722632_979867850376619_1268930171540891985_n.jpg
    435722632_979867850376619_1268930171540891985_n.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 435683707_957014365979235_5758282831519821253_n.jpg
    435683707_957014365979235_5758282831519821253_n.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 56

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first photo shows the boxwood I bought from a nursery last year after initially styling/repotting. The second photo shows what it looks like today after a pretty extreme styling. I never knew what to do with this tree until now, and I think I like it. I know my wiring isn't the greatest, but I'm fine with it lol. Also, does anyone know about how long you should plan to leave wire on a boxwood? I would appreciate any styling tips you may have...
I don't wire boxwood because the wood tends to be extremely brittle. Applying the wire aggressively and manipulating branches can tend to strip the cambium off the underlying wood. Additionally wiring doesn't really induce great movement in boxwood, since the wood is extremely hard. Boxwood is one of the densest woods on the planet. It tends not to "remember" the wiring and gradually returns to its original position.

Hard pruning, and "clip and grow" is the way to go with boxwood. Hard pruning to interior green shoots, typically produces backbudding which are used to continue building more angular and believable secondary and tertiary branching. Wire puts uninteresting even rainbow bends that looks weird.

As for this tree, let it alone, you've roughed it up pretty good. It needs two months or so to recover.

MujiRyan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't wire boxwood because the wood tends to be extremely brittle. Applying the wire aggressively and manipulating branches can tend to strip the cambium off the underlying wood. Additionally wiring doesn't really induce great movement in boxwood, since the wood is extremely hard. Boxwood is one of the densest woods on the planet. It tends not to "remember" the wiring and gradually returns to its original position.

Hard pruning, and "clip and grow" is the way to go with boxwood. Hard pruning to interior green shoots, typically produces backbudding which are used to continue building more angular and believable secondary and tertiary branching. Wire puts uninteresting even rainbow bends that looks weird.

As for this tree, let it alone, you've roughed it up pretty good. It needs two months or so to recover.
Thanks for your advice. How long would you say I should keep the wire on then? No point in taking it off now since it's done right?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd remove it, cut it off, don't unwind it. You can leave it on, but you may get die back on the branching over time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Leave wire on as long as possible to achieve maximum bends. Check regularly to see when the branches start to grow against or around the wires. If the wires start to look flat on the side close to the tree that means the wires are cutting in and need to be removed ASAP.
Growth and thickening varies in different weather conditions, pot size, soil type, fertiliser, care and many other factors so it is not possible to estimate in terms of calendar days, months years. You may get 12 months, you may get 2 years or more.

MujiRyan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Leave wire on as long as possible to achieve maximum bends. Check regularly to see when the branches start to grow against or around the wires. If the wires start to look flat on the side close to the tree that means the wires are cutting in and need to be removed ASAP.
Growth and thickening varies in different weather conditions, pot size, soil type, fertiliser, care and many other factors so it is not possible to estimate in terms of calendar days, months years. You may get 12 months, you may get 2 years or more.
Ok sweet thanks.

TwilightTrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Next year (when it recover) i would cut away at least two of the branches, there should never be more than 2 branches (including the stem) from one point, since it could result in inverse taper

Top Bottom