The Bonsai Art of Kimura 2

I hear ya Attila, I am also on a Penjing journey. Several of the books I want are dated but nonetheless valuable references.

I hear ya Attila, I am also on a Penjing journey. Several of the books I want are dated but nonetheless valuable references.

I love to look at those old (vintage) pictures from China and Japan. I don't necessarily want to copy them with my trees, but they are wonderful source of inspiration. Many of them display playfulness, spontaneity, and a lack of the "over-groomed" and "over-loaded" appearance that many of the contemporary trees suffer from.

They take you back to a time when bonsai was free from any competitive spirit, and was done exclusively for the sake of aesthetic and spiritual fulfillment. It's not that commerce didn't exist those times, but it wasn't as prevalent as today.

I havent ever read bonsai today. I ordered both kimura books today :( Not happy about what I am hearing so far caz I just shelled out 70 bones. I read the review on Aob and it said it was tight. Hopefully I will be stimulated.

Attila,
I also enjoy and admire many of the vintage Bonsai books and photos. Many have a wonderful balance of
refinement and naturalness,imagination and control. They seem unique and yet still familiar. I also love the use of negative space which seemed to be used alot more then today.

Regards,
Mark

I havent ever read bonsai today. I ordered both kimura books today :( Not happy about what I am hearing so far caz I just shelled out 70 bones.

First book is excellent - especially considering how ground-breaking it was when it came out 25 years(?) ago. 2nd book is very good if you haven't read any of the Bonsai Today articles before. Your 70 bones are well-spent :)

I was pleased with the second Kimura book, but it seems from posts above that this is because i had realistic expectations of its content.

The title of the book is "The Magician, The Bonsai Art of Kimura 2," and i found its content matched its title perfectly. I didnt purchase a techniques book, a brought a book that showed off an artists work, and as such this book for me is a success. It does have an insight into how the art is created, but for me, this is not the objective of the book.

I wouldnt recommend this book if you are wanting to learn something new. This book is a compilation of one of our best artists works, if i looked through a Monet book, i would of seen most of those paintings before, but that doesnt impact its successfullness.

Well I've had the book for a few months now and unfortunately havent derived anything from it really. Not because its not a good book, but simply because I havent even seen this type of material except in books and online. Moreover, I probably wont be working with this sort of thing until I am retired and have some fundage. I have been thinking I will more than likely pick up the book, Junipers, as I think it will be more helpful and down to earth for the stuff I am working with. It would be great to have a book that is geared strictly on technique of pinching (like at what tree age you should start developing and shaping) or just techniques for the majority of people out their that dont have masterpiece material. Even something that was mentioned on here (I think) awhile back about twisting and shaping shimps at a young age to get the contorted look. In my humble opinion, some of these newer books are written just like hollywood films; not really realistic in real world situations.

I probably wont be working with this sort of thing until I am retired and have some fundage. I have been thinking I will more than likely pick up the book, Junipers, as I think it will be more helpful and down to earth for the stuff I am working with. It would be great to have a book that is geared strictly on technique of pinching (like at what tree age you should start developing and shaping) or just techniques for the majority of people out their that dont have masterpiece material.

HI Tiberious,

As a recommendation i would say that the Junipers book would not suit your requirements either. This is a collection of articles from Bonsai Today, with updated and revised photos and text. The artrists featured are amongst the best in the world, and they are working; or re working, world class material. Infact, i think all but one juniper featued in there is Yamadori of the top draw.

If you havent already, i would recommend the first Naka Techniques book as a book to teach you what you have said above, athough when reading any book you should bear in mind that climates differ, and times suggested may not be directly relevent to yours.

I would also advise that books often give advice that is more relevent to maintaining developed trees. If you are still developing trunks and primary branches, following most books will only slow your trees progression. For more information on this i would referee you to articles by Brent Walston from Evergreens.

Regards

D.Fairbanks

Last edited:
David thanks for the recommendations. Thats too bad about the Junipers book, thanks for letting me know so I dont waste the money. I pretty much live by Nakas books for now as they have the most useful information, although No. 2 still has alot of techniques on collected material that I dont use. For now, the forums seem to be the best sources of information for the typical bonsai enthusiast. I am assuming one day the niche will be filled for developing bonsai and not just maintaining them like you said. Kimura's book is fun to look at it, and their is a few tidbits that one can derive some inspiration. I think were missing the middle part of the bonsai journey-we have tons of beginner stuff and tons of really advanced stuff, but no in between.

Back
Top Bottom