Is Bonsai Art?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It depends. Are you saying anything through the visual language of your bonsai display (the tree, with its pot and any accompanying accents) that could be picked up and understood by a viewer? If so, then it's art. If not, then it's craft.

To quote Jerry Saltz, art critic for New York Magazine: "Art is thought embedded in material." I think that's about as good a definition as you're going to find.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am safe here. I only have pre-bonsai so no one can argue with me whether my trees are art. As for the bonsai out there, I am not qualified to say. Some bonsai move me; others are no different than nursery trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am safe here. I only have pre-bonsai so no one can argue with me whether my trees are art. As for the bonsai out there, I am not qualified to say. Some bonsai move me; others are no different than nursery trees.
The creation of a canvas alone is crucial to the creation of art!

I think my opinion would have to be, getting pedantic about the threshold upon which something is called art is a fools errand. Certainly some pieces of art or bonsai are *more* universally recognized as artistic pieces.But if one is in the pursuit of creating with the purpose of inevitably evoking thought or emotion from other sapient beings, it must be art!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like to say that bonsai is something I like to do, not something I like to have.
That said, one of my clubs has been displaying its trees in a museum for the past few years, right next to some Bronze Age artifacts, so I'm going to say it can certainly be considered art.

Screenshot (1610).png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai is a type of sculpture art where your medium is a living tree. The artist does a call and response with the tree and through that consistent collaboration over years you end up with a work of art.

I volunteer working on trees at one of the few permanent bonsai collections that is part of an art institution. Most are housed at botanical gardens.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Japan, perhaps other eastern areas where is origin answer is NO. It would be arrogant to consider self "artist". In western countries many arrogant ones wish to claim status as "ARTIST" and advance self importance. Often these are encouraged by the ignorant🤨.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This is not the first time this subject has been brought up. I'll just sit back and watch. 🍿
My thoughts exactly. Gonna grab my extra large popcorn box and wait for heavyweights to chime in. And I was afraid for a while that this is going to be boring summer.
I'm just sorry for that girl whose thread on yamadori/non yamadori "lol" thread will die so young.

Top Bottom