The Black Pondo Podcast-Beta Testing

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks All! I asked the questions to the Backcountry Guys and episode will be coming out soon. I changed the way I asked some of them because we were on a bit of a time crunch and didn't ask if we already discussed. Thank you for asking these questions:)

Next episode being released will be Matt Owinga, then Back Country Bonsai. I just spoke to Tyler Sherrod (www.dogwoodstudiosnc.com)
of Dogwood Studios who agreed to record with me.

What questions or topics would you like to hear Tyler Sherrod discuss?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks All! I asked the questions to the Backcountry Guys and episode will be coming out soon. I changed the way I asked some of them because we were on a bit of a time crunch and didn't ask if we already discussed. Thank you for asking these questions:)

Next episode being released will be Matt Owinga, then Back Country Bonsai. I just spoke to Tyler Sherrod (www.dogwoodstudiosnc.com)
of Dogwood Studios who agreed to record with me.

What questions or topics would you like to hear Tyler Sherrod discuss?
Very cool. I like Tyler a lot - looking forward to listening!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can you re add the older Podcasts you did with Matt Reel and Tyler Sherrod ??

Would you be able to ask Tyler what species of Native Deciduous and Conifer on east coast / south east that he would want to see more of, like what are some underutilized species that would make great bonsai.
What are his thoughts on the model of being an apprentice in Japan vs apprenticing / working for someone in the United States who are professionals, does he feel the same skills can be developed / can you still learn the same skills as they can.
How do people get access to quality material and professions without having to feel like they need to have a lot of money to gain access to trees, classes, touring garden, ceramics.

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Can you re add the older Podcasts you did with Matt Reel and Tyler Sherrod ??

Would you be able to ask Tyler what species of Native Deciduous and Conifer on east coast / south east that he would want to see more of, like what are some underutilized species that would make great bonsai.
What are his thoughts on the model of being an apprentice in Japan vs apprenticing / working for someone in the United States who are professionals, does he feel the same skills can be developed / can you still learn the same skills as they can.
How do people get access to quality material and professions without having to feel like they need to have a lot of money to gain access to trees, classes, touring garden, ceramics.
Too kind of you @Shogun610 :) Yah know i'm not sure if I still have it or not, I had a laptop crash-which i'm actually trying to recover the data on. The intro quote which you can hear Tyler on, I did save many years ago, but don't think I have the rest. I'll have to do another w/ Matt and Tyler someday. Bonsai Wire is definitely a far superior podcast to mine, love that one! Will ask your questions. thanks!

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if Tyler has any unique insight on this topic or not , but I'd love to hear about the process of designing their garden, especially spaces with built-in/grown-in benches or spaces for display.

I feel like a lot of bonsai gardens and museums, even very beautiful ones, follow a pattern of lots of hardscape with benches and monkey poles, and the bonsai and accent plants are some of the only growing things in the space. Typically there's gravel over weed barrier for a ground layer. I know it has a lot of advantages especially with maintenance, but residual heat becomes an issue in the middle of summer. A lot of nurseries fit this pattern: Eisei-en, Rakuyo. Even @MACH5, @mattspinniken (insta for reference), and Mirai kinda fit into this, but they definitely have more landscape beds spread throughout their spaces. BTW, I do really like this videos of your garden that you've put on Instagram. I wish I could get such nice moss covered boulders without ripping out fences and beds

I've found Auer Othmar's (insta) garden a great example of what I'm curious about, though it definitely is a very rigid, formal garden. I've found it really hard to find other gardens that blend landscape design and bonsai spaces well

I just moved into a house and I'm trying to design my garden space now, so I've been looking all over for inspiration. It's a small backyard, but I know there's enough space for dense landscape plantings and maintaining a decent number of trees too. Aiming for a Japanese garden aesthetic, with native plants to provide a lot of pollinator and wildlife support 🌻

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I enjoy your podcast a lot! Thank you for adding to more bonsai related stuff to listen to. It is so cool to hear peoples individual story and journey. Plus all the advice!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know if Tyler has any unique insight on this topic or not , but I'd love to hear about the process of designing their garden, especially spaces with built-in/grown-in benches or spaces for display.

I feel like a lot of bonsai gardens and museums, even very beautiful ones, follow a pattern of lots of hardscape with benches and monkey poles, and the bonsai and accent plants are some of the only growing things in the space. Typically there's gravel over weed barrier for a ground layer. I know it has a lot of advantages especially with maintenance, but residual heat becomes an issue in the middle of summer. A lot of nurseries fit this pattern: Eisei-en, Rakuyo. Even @MACH5, @mattspinniken (insta for reference), and Mirai kinda fit into this, but they definitely have more landscape beds spread throughout their spaces. BTW, I do really like this videos of your garden that you've put on Instagram. I wish I could get such nice moss covered boulders without ripping out fences and beds

I've found Auer Othmar's (insta) garden a great example of what I'm curious about, though it definitely is a very rigid, formal garden. I've found it really hard to find other gardens that blend landscape design and bonsai spaces well

I just moved into a house and I'm trying to design my garden space now, so I've been looking all over for inspiration. It's a small backyard, but I know there's enough space for dense landscape plantings and maintaining a decent number of trees too. Aiming for a Japanese garden aesthetic, with native plants to provide a lot of pollinator and wildlife support 🌻
Thank you so much! I think asking Tyler about how he is and is planning to design his garden is a great topic. I'm curious what his long term Bonsai Garden vision looks like. Especially because he apprenticed with Mr. Suzuki who has arguably the most beautiful layout and structure of a Bonsai garden in the world. That's definitely debatable, but one of my favorites, I wonder what rubbed off on Tyler there.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@yenling83 I was just listening to your episode with Andrew Robson and you two were chatting about Korean bonsai artists and deciduous yamadori collectors on Instagram. Got any links for this super white guy that doesn’t read Korean?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Loving the podcast!

Would love to hear more (from all guests) about garden design. That portion of the podcast with Matt was really interesting and insightful!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
@yenling83 I was just listening to your episode with Andrew Robson and you two were chatting about Korean bonsai artists and deciduous yamadori collectors on Instagram. Got any links for this super white guy that doesn’t read Korean?
Here’s some good ones for yah! Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• IMG_6519.png
    IMG_6519.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6522.png
    IMG_6522.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6520.png
    IMG_6520.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6523.png
    IMG_6523.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6521.png
    IMG_6521.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6524.png
    IMG_6524.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6518.png
    IMG_6518.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 28

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Loving the podcast!

Would love to hear more (from all guests) about garden design. That portion of the podcast with Matt was really interesting and insightful!
Thank you! Yes, I think Tyler would be a good one to talk with about that:) Looking forward to that, I wonder what he learned from Mr. Suzuki about Garden design either through being taught or just observation.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying your podcasts. Great listening at the gym or while working on trees. Motivates me to do better bonsai. I love your intro music. Who is it?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Just chiming in to say what others are also saying and that I’m really enjoying your podcast. I listened to the Matt O episode yesterday at work (I drive truck for a living) and the warm fuzzies you guys exchanged at the end made me SOL (smile out loud). Great content! Please keep it going, you make my job much more pleasant.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a devout listener as well. I loved the MattO & Seth podcasts recently. Japan + time seems to have changed Seth a little, though I can't claim to have known him at all. I was surprised by how thoughtful he showed to be. Maybe he has been all along.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying your podcasts. Great listening at the gym or while working on trees. Motivates me to do better bonsai. I love your intro music. Who is it?
Shoot I need to look up the name, I should know and give credit. I bought the rights to use the music on a podcast a few years back, I'll find the artist.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
New one with the incredible guys at Backcountry Bonsai! I want to apologize as I didn't do the best job in wording everyone's questions. Hope you still enjoy it and really appreciate the questions you all asked!

IMG_6723.PNG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New one with the incredible guys at Backcountry Bonsai! I want to apologize as I didn't do the best job in wording everyone's questions. Hope you still enjoy it and really appreciate the questions you all asked!

View attachment 510456
I really enjoyed this one Jeremiah good work bro. Just so you know, while the latency present from the audio platform can be slightly distracting at times. It’s really not as bad as I’m sure you think it is. The whole episode was very listenable. I bet those dudes are fun to go collecting with.

Top Bottom