The Black Pondo Podcast-Beta Testing

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I just got caught up on one leg of a road trip. I enjoyed them all. Having never collected yamadori trees, I really enjoyed listening to you and Matt compare notes on the subject.

On the apprentice interviews, I was curious what books they studied in their spare time. I assume Kokufu and other show books, but I’d be curious to know what unique books they found that maybe we don’t see outside of Japan.

I like the idea of this and other podcasts that are recording the stories of bonsai professionals and practitioners. I think I have heard Aarin Packard/PBM mention the idea of preserving these stories and experiences of the older generation of practitioners. It would be interesting to hear from the founders and early members of some of the older clubs. Although, many have obviously passed away. It would also be neat to hear about and see pictures of legacy trees that have passed through members care.

Keep up the good work!
Thank you! Will ask about Books and yes agree and like the idea of preserving Bonsai history and stories thanks

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve only listened to the podcast with @mattspinniken but thoroughly enjoyed it. As a newbie bonsai enthusiast from Michigan with an interest in collecting some day it was awesome. I’ve appreciated in person some of his great work at the state show! I’ll definitely be listening more. I personally loved the intro.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Listened to the episodes with Bob Shimon and @mattspinniken so far. I enjoyed both quite a bit, but especially your episode with Matt because I just started to do a bit of yamadori collecting myself the last two years and learned a few tips there. Also, I thought you and Matt had a good connection - there was good back and forth and it felt quite natural.

As far as content that will keep me coming back, I love when there are a few technical details, tips, protocols, or some "secret sauce" that is explained by the guest. For example when Matt shared about his packing with sphagnum pre-collection tip or the app and tools that he uses. Certainly a whole podcast on technical details would be boring (that seems better for book format), but I think if you can steer your guests towards sprinkling a few in here and there, people like me (4 years in) will get a lot out of the episodes.

Looking forward to listening to a few more!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Listened to the episodes with Bob Shimon and @mattspinniken so far. I enjoyed both quite a bit, but especially your episode with Matt because I just started to do a bit of yamadori collecting myself the last two years and learned a few tips there. Also, I thought you and Matt had a good connection - there was good back and forth and it felt quite natural.

As far as content that will keep me coming back, I love when there are a few technical details, tips, protocols, or some "secret sauce" that is explained by the guest. For example when Matt shared about his packing with sphagnum pre-collection tip or the app and tools that he uses. Certainly a whole podcast on technical details would be boring (that seems better for book format), but I think if you can steer your guests towards sprinkling a few in here and there, people like me (4 years in) will get a lot out of the episodes.

Looking forward to listening to a few more!
Thank you @MSU JBoots and @Kanorin appreciate it!

@Kanorin, I'd definitely like to attempt in sussing out the secret sauce whenever possible. Getting those little tid bits are probably my favorite part.

A couple other notes-I removed the very first part in the intro music -as a few people told me it was a bit too jarring. I'm going to start asking the same three questions around- Soil, Nutrition and Pest/Disease mgmt to all guests. I'd also like to bring some some fun, silly or interesting topics up to riff off which are non technical in nature.

If anyone has any other random questions like below, please let me know. I think this type of thing is good for a Podcast platform-bad for video or text.
Here's a few examples:
-Bonsai as a Financial Investment
-Is the dude that sells Bonsai out of a Van on the side of the road ultimately a positive or negative for Bonsai?
-How does someone create a killer Bonsai collection? How can you acquire great trees at a good value?

Latest episode out now with @Eric Schrader

IMG_6050.jpg

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly, I feel as if we all know the answer as to "-Bonsai as a Financial Investment." 🤣 But, in any case, we might get to hear some interesting thoughts on that.

Also echoing what Kanorin said, technical stuff is really great content imho, though hard to do over voice. One of my favorite podcast episodes is the interview Ryan Neil did with Dennis Vojtilla.

Random questions I came up with:
- Oldest bonsai tree you've seen in person/worked on in person. (though age doesn't dictate quality);
- Favorite species and why;
- Any random species they do that general people don't use in bonsai? (e.g., Grape);
- Anything they do with respect to bonsai that others don't do?, e.g., use HB-101;
- First tree they killed and how;
- Describe the best tree they've found at a non-bonsai nursery, if any

PS: I started listening in on the podcast this last weekend. Think you're doing a fantastic job. Big thumbs up!

Really small side note: A good mic would really help the production quality.. Though I'm sort of a podcast snob and listen to many different ones. You'd be surprised what a cheap $25 Amazon mic could produce.. PM me if you're interested and I'll find and send you a link.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel as if we all know the answer as to "-Bonsai as a Financial Investment." 🤣 But, in any case, we might get to hear some interesting thoughts on that.

Also echoing what Kanorin said, technical stuff is really great content imho, though hard to do over voice. One of my favorite podcast episodes is the interview Ryan Neil did with Dennis Vojtilla.

Random questions I came up with:
- Oldest bonsai tree you've seen in person/worked on in person. (though age doesn't dictate quality);
- Favorite species and why;
- Any random species they do that general people don't use in bonsai? (e.g., Grape);
- Anything they do with respect to bonsai that others don't do?, e.g., use HB-101;
- First tree they killed and how;
- Describe the best tree they've found at a non-bonsai nursery, if any

PS: I started listening in on the podcast this last weekend. Think you're doing a fantastic job. Big thumbs up!

Really small side note: A good mic would really help the production quality.. Though I'm sort of a podcast snob and listen to many different ones. You'd be surprised what a cheap $25 Amazon mic could produce.. PM me if you're interested and I'll find and send you a link.
Some great questions, thank you I will use some of these:) I actually got a new mic which I haven't used yet, but let me know if you think the quality improves in future episodes. thanks!

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some great questions, thank you I will use some of these:) I actually got a new mic which I haven't used yet, but let me know if you think the quality improves in future episodes. thanks!
Will do! Looking forward to it!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Latest episode w/ Andrew Robson:
4D51CC7A-991A-4BA2-ADF1-61143075129C.JPG

Link to listen

Next episode will likely be with Julian Tsai discussing the topic of if Quality Bonsai is possible on a budget? I should have Seth Nelson current apprentice at Aichi-En on if we can figure out a time, then I've been twisting Matt Owinga's arm to come on(really hoping that works out!).

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Probably a bit last min, but I'm going to have Dan and Steve on the podcast either tonight or tomorrow from Backcountry Bonsai.

Can't guarantee I can ask every question, but

What questions would you want me to ask them? Thanks!!!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Probably a bit last min, but I'm going to have Dan and Steve on the podcast either tonight or tomorrow from Backcountry Bonsai.

Can't guarantee I can ask every question, but

What questions would you want me to ask them? Thanks!!!
For every tree that is collectible, interesting, and in the right size range, how many others do they pass that don’t check all the boxes? How does that compare to your Sierra collecting?

What do they think are the key natural factors for making a potential yamadori both in the stunting and interesting trunks? Is it different between pines and junipers? For example, substrate or rock pockets restricting roots, poor nutrition soil, low rainfall, snow loads, wind, animal grazing/rutting, etc.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it addicting? Lol

I’ve heard Randy Knight talk about ‘thrill of the hunt’ almost the same as animal hunting or treasure hunting.

I daydream about it, but the high time and knowledge cost are barriers to my entry. It sounds like one more addicting aspect of bonsai that for me is best left to others!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Question for Backcountry Bonsai: As far as post-collection aftercare, do you have any tricks beyond boxing in pumice and applying bottom heat that you have used to help maximize survival of collected trees?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This was sort of already mentioned, but I’d like to hear about the physical attributes of the locations they find the best trees. Of course they’re not going to tell their collecting spots, but I am wondering about whether north/south facing aspect makes a difference? Are all the trees coming from granite slabs or are there also other environments to find good collectible trees?

Also how do they analyze whether a tree is collectible or not? Sometimes it seems like a tree is collectible if it has a little wiggle but then once you really get into digging realize there’s not as many roots as you thought.

Finally I’d love to hear about limber pine specifically. What type of micro environment they’re found in? Any special tips for limber aftercare, etc? Seems like I don’t come across all that many limbers compared to ponderosas, Doug firs, RMJ, etc

PS - LOVE the podcast!

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Question for Backcountry Bonsai: As far as post-collection aftercare, do you have any tricks beyond boxing in pumice and applying bottom heat that you have used to help maximize survival of collected trees?
I second this. I'd love to hear techniques and details on how to increase the survival rate.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Obtw: Perhaps think on getting a Satsuki person on one of your podcasts?

For example like Darren Wong in the Bay Area?

It would be really interesting to hear about things like: personal background, satsuki over the years in the US, transitions, Japanese connection, importing, local sourcing, and the down low on styling (s), best cultivars for south and north, timing etc

Just a thought…

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom