The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

I took a long drive then a walk in wader down a canal. This is what I found. A BC with a very chunky base. Flutes are not pronounced, which is really not normal for the location. Excellent taper, however.
View attachment 553338
Collected. Trunk is bottle shaped then a sharp taper. Very gentle flutes.IMG_2735.jpeg

This chunky based tree is finally pushing hard. I was almost certain it was dead a few weeks ago as it still hadnt done anything and it was collected in early spring. Wasnt sure what it was when I collected it, now that it leafed out I'm pretty certain it is Nyssa Sylvatica.

20240619_181859.jpg
20240619_181825.jpg

I led a group from our Bonsai club on a collecting trip to Inyo National Forest. We got lodgepole pines at Mammoth Lakes and Utah junipers in the White Mountains.
Here's the group taking a break after digging junipers.

View attachment 553432
That looks like a fun trip.

Made a 3 hour trip deep into the swamp to collect just two trees. These are in high seasonal water areas so the trunks are quite different.

Current water level is only knee deep but during high water time it can be up to 8 ft for this area. Note the moss level way up on the trunks. The flutes run up high on these trees.

My cost for collecting these are high. I don’t think I will get enough for my investment of labor and travel.
IMG_2755.jpeg

These trees were in water 2 ft deep at collection. I dragged them up the bank so I could take pictures. Note the moss level way up the trunks.
As I mentioned before, young trees in deep water don't have the quick flare of trees in shallow, more stable water. Note the big tree behind the collected tree. It has good flare but the flare of that big tree runs up high to 4 ft or so.
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg

The massive low knee was quite different than the normal knees I usually see.
IMG_2752.jpeg

The areas have hidden dangers for sure. I was by myself so had to be careful. Root slayer was ever in hand. Jungle knife on one hip and pistol on another. Cell phone for emergencies was also in my pocket. Apple watch set for SOS call should I fall. :D
IMG_2751.jpegIMG_2750.jpeg

Last edited:
Made a 3 hour trip deep into the swamp to collect just two trees. These are in high seasonal water areas so the trunks are quite different.

Current water level is only knee deep but during high water time it can be up to 8 ft for this area. Note the moss level way up on the trunks. The flutes run up high on these trees.

My cost for collecting these are high. I don’t think I will get enough for my investment of labor and travel.
View attachment 553461

These trees were in water 2 ft deep at collection. I dragged them up the bank so I could take pictures. Note the moss level way up the trunks.
As I mentioned before, young trees in deep water don't have the quick flare of trees in shallow, more stable water. Note the big tree behind the collected tree. It has good flare but the flare of that big tree runs up high to 4 ft or so.
View attachment 553456
View attachment 553457

The massive low knee was quite different than the normal knees I usually see.
View attachment 553458

The areas have hidden dangers for sure. I was by myself so had to be careful. Root slayer was ever in hand. Jungle knife on one hip and pistol on another. Cell phone for emergencies was also in my pocket. Apple watch set for SOS call should I fall. :D
View attachment 553459View attachment 553460
Wild pigs run in big packs back there and the hidden attack of gator and water moccasins are always in my mind.

I must be plumb crazy.

Girlfriend spotted 7 boxwood, and 1 Holly a guy was giving away on marketplace...6+ inch trunks on them. I could only fit 4 of them in the bed of my truck. Gonna hook up the trailer and go back for the rest.

Only Pic I took was of the holly, gnarly hollowed out trunk. Lots of shade and a misting system for these guys, if a couple survive I'll be happy. Terrible time to dig up trees, been in the mid 90's for 2 weeks straight.20240623_174647.jpg

Girlfriend spotted 7 boxwood, and 1 Holly a guy was giving away on marketplace...6+ inch trunks on them. I could only fit 4 of them in the bed of my truck. Gonna hook up the trailer and go back for the rest.

Only Pic I took was of the holly, gnarly hollowed out trunk. Lots of shade and a misting system for these guys, if a couple survive I'll be happy. Terrible time to dig up trees, been in the mid 90's for 2 weeks straight.View attachment 553842
Nice haul!

Went back for the other 4 boxwoods with my trailer this time. Too dark for much on the way of photos, but took some better photos of the first 4. The roots must have all ran shallow right below the weed barrier and are all in mats other than the holly. Also lucked into the tag sticking out of the roots of one of the trees. Originally planted from 2 gallon nursery pots. I had to drag 2 of them into the trailer they are so big I couldn't lift them.

Here's a somewhat better photo of the twin trunk holly... if it survives, it is a freak.
20240623_195617.jpg
Some of the boxwoods, sorry I suck at photography!

My hand only goes maybe half way around the trunk on these at best.
20240623_200030.jpg
20240623_194955.jpg
20240623_193446.jpg20240623_192747.jpg20240623_195500.jpg
The guy must have started pruning them then decided he didn't like them, because they were partially pruned and a lot of the cuttings were sitting on top still.

Here's the tag I found in one of the boxwoods.
20240623_220956(0).jpg

It will be worth it!
I’d be interested in seeing how you cut them back.
The guy that ripped them out of his landscape pulled up the entire root system, and were very few broken roots at all, they were pretty shallow with the only low roots being still shaped like the original 2 gallon bucket. The roots had all ran under and over the weed barrier fabric. Sadly he used straps to uproot them so so scarred the bark on a few of them, but that'll heal in time. He also had pruned the hedge very recently as the cuttings were still green and laying in the tops. In all I only had to remove maybe 30 percent of the perimeter roots at most, and potted them up in big tubs I bought at Lowe's, drilled a couple hundred holes in the bottom while they were stacked to save time. Going to let them recover as is, enough foliage had already been removed, all I did was clean out some unwanted and dead branches. I was out of pumice other than enough for a drainage layer, so planted them in Sunshine mix #4 from Menards, it is a good draining organic soil with a lot of perilite in the mix with mycorrhizae. Pretty similar to Promix. Here's a shot of the base of one of the boxwoods I took once potted up and watered.
20240624_212901.jpg
Screenshot_20240625_024006_Gallery.jpg

I must say...I'm whooped... potting those trees up has been a chore, still 3 to go.
Always!
The adrenalin rush at collection has waned. You have sweated a gallon or two. Yet you know you are working against the clock for the survival of the trees.

My trick now:
If I am too exhausted to pot the collected trees, I spray the top with Wilt Pruff, dunk the roots in water, and keep the trees in the shade. There will be time enough to pot them tomorrow instead of doing a hasty job today.

Always!
The adrenalin rush at collection has waned. You have sweated a gallon or two. Yet you know you are working against the clock for the survival of the trees.

My trick now:
If I am too exhausted to pot the collected trees, I spray the top with Wilt Pruff, dunk the roots in water, and keep the trees in the shade. There will be time enough to pot them tomorrow instead of doing a hasty job today.
Yes, exactly. Pot the best first always, and pot them correctly. I have a big kiddie pool we would fill with water on hot days for our german shepherd who passed away several months ago to lay in. I put about 2 inches of water in it and left them in it, I figure 2 inches are going to come off the bottom of the roots anyways as well as the perimeter on the mat that will lay in the water. Here's what the roots looked like on these. Thankfully boxwoods produce amazing roots!
20240623_195819.jpg

I found a washout line created by storm water. It is not a creek or canal, just a line of intermittent low spots. Along that line are some interesting BCs. 2 hours treking that line and I found one I want. Pictures will come later. .

Back
Top Bottom