The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

The topic of cosmic/octopus style came up once again in this thread. I wasn't really planning on tree hunting this year as I have more than enough trees (except, of course, if I find something too exciting to pass up), but it got me thinking that there are a few native species here that might be best suited to it.
Off the top of my head, alder leaf mountain mahogany/cercocarpus mantanus, and possibly dwarf mountain ash/fraxinus anomalus.

I guess I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else is struck by the same curiosity.

The topic of cosmic/octopus style came up once again in this thread. I wasn't really planning on tree hunting this year as I have more than enough trees (except, of course, if I find something too exciting to pass up), but it got me thinking that there are a few native species here that might be best suited to it.
Off the top of my head, alder leaf mountain mahogany/cercocarpus mantanus, and possibly dwarf mountain ash/fraxinus anomalus.

I guess I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else is struck by the same curiosity.
How about contorted camelia?

Turned out it wasn’t a tree I planted. It was from a broken pot blown into the field and wound up in the debris line.
Bottom of old pot shown.
View attachment 529155
View attachment 529156

Trunk chopped where there is a reverse taper.
View attachment 529157

Worked on the roots
View attachment 529158View attachment 529159
View attachment 529160

Planted deep in a mica pot to allow the split roots to heal.
View attachment 529162View attachment 529161
IMG_1344.jpeg

Seems like a good tool for serious yamadori collectors
I looked at these for the Milwaukee system just because those are the batteries that I have and what the rest of my tools are. I came to the conclusion the mini sawzall (Hackzall) ends up being the superior yamadori tool. With the shears, as soon as you start going at the roots or near dirt at all you start degrading the blade. The twist lock blades on the Hackzall are literally a 10 second change of you happen to saw into a rock or something. The reciprocating saw doesn’t care about the dirt and the range of branch and root sizes it can’t handle is much larger. Lastly, and this may only apply to the Milwaukee system, the shears are 50 to 100 bucks more than the Hackzall and use a different battery than the rest of my tools(ymmv with the DeWalt system). The shears are a great tool and have their place but for me the saw is just better “cut out” for the field work of collecting yamadori.

A3F489E3-9038-4879-8D62-C1FA4E4BB042.jpeg

This is all just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth🤷🏻‍♂️😉

I looked at these for the Milwaukee system just because those are the batteries that I have and what the rest of my tools are. I came to the conclusion the mini sawzall (Hackzall) ends up being the superior yamadori tool. With the shears, as soon as you start going at the roots or near dirt at all you start degrading the blade. The twist lock blades on the Hackzall are literally a 10 second change of you happen to saw into a rock or something. The reciprocating saw doesn’t care about the dirt and the range of branch and root sizes it can’t handle is much larger. Lastly, and this may only apply to the Milwaukee system, the shears are 50 to 100 bucks more than the Hackzall and use a different battery than the rest of my tools(ymmv with the DeWalt system). The shears are a great tool and have their place but for me the saw is just better “cut out” for the field work of collecting yamadori.

View attachment 532732

Agreed, I like a Sawzall for cutting around the perimeter of a tree I'm collecting, fine blades tend to do better than coarse ones though, the coarse ones like to rip roots apart or shake a tree to death I find though.

View attachment 532732

I’m a Dewalt guy . And not that I disagree with you . ( I love my hand tool handle that takes reciprocal saw blades ) for collecting . So easy a handle and several different blades . Light small package . But before I get the batt version . ( on my list ) I got the oscillation. Blade tool . I see it having several advantages . ( plunge cut with less rootball disturbance . And can actually cut rock . I hope .) anyway something to consider .

Ok I’m slightly afraid to ask .😂😂😂But I’ll bite what exactly is that style . Do I need to ingest or smoke something . First or while creating it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ok I’m slightly afraid to ask .😂😂😂But I’ll bite what exactly is that style . Do I need to ingest or smoke something . First or while creating it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I suppose it wouldn't hurt 🤷

Check out the pics in the article in the link in thread. 🤔 Allot of "ins" there.

Anyways, curlicue branches all over, reminiscent of octopus arms, hence the old name. Reborn and rebranded a century later as, "cosmic," sometimes with the addition of sci-fi themed figurines, like robots or whatnot.

With a little help from your gadgets larger trees can be not so bad! Scotch Pine under development, time to switch from Anderson flat to Bonsai pot. The root ball is established, primary and secondary branches intact. nest steps involve some grafting, compaction and bud back for pad formation and density. Gadgets in play include hydraulic turn table, block and tackle with sling rope and carabiner clip. Probably should have posted this in the what are you doing today thread, but the gadgets are great for Yamadori.:)IMG_2559.jpegIMG_2560.jpegIMG_2561.jpegIMG_2562.jpegIMG_2563.jpeg

With a little help from your gadgets larger trees can be not so bad! Scotch Pine under development, time to switch from Anderson flat to Bonsai pot. The root ball is established, primary and secondary branches intact. nest steps involve some grafting, compaction and bud back for pad formation and density. Gadgets in play include hydraulic turn table, block and tackle with sling rope and carabiner clip. View attachment 532940View attachment 532941View attachment 532942View attachment 532943View attachment 532944
Ok, so why haven't we seen a bonsai gadget thread yet?

Back
Top Bottom