The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Pic, turns out it’s helpful not to use “live” images.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I just collected two trees in the past several days. The first is a hornbeam that was growing beside a brook in our woods. I put it in a grow box, and made a tent with a clear plastic bag, and placed that in our furnace room. That process worked well last spring with several hawthorns collected in March. The second tree is a root sucker from a Sargeant's crab apple (Malus sargeantii). This tree had been pruned and even hit by the lawn mower over the past several years. I previously used the root cutting shovel to sever it from its parent tree. I put this in a pot.

hornbeam before collection.jpghornbeam.jpgcrab apple.jpg

Last edited:
Went deep into the swamp today and only collected one BC but it is a special one! Got mud from head to toe so no picture until I get that thing potted.
BTW yes I did have to fight skeeters and scary critters to get to that tree.
The tree took a long time to collect. My charge rate is $250/hr. This tree is costly :D

Went deep into the swamp today and only collected one BC but it is a special one! Got mud from head to toe so no picture until I get that thing potted.
The tree took a long time to collect. My charge rate is $250/hr. This tree is costly :D
I just rewarded myself a BIG slice of homemade cheese cake for being able to get that tree. :D

I just collected two trees in the past several days. The first is a hornbeam that was growing beside a brook in our woods. I put it in a grow box, and made a tent with a clear plastic bag, and placed that in our furnace room. That process worked well last spring with several hawthorns collected in March. The second tree is a root sucker from a Sargeant's crab apple (Malus sargeantii). This tree had been pruned and even hit by the lawn mower over the past several years. I previously used the root cutting shovel to sever it from its parent tree. I put this in a pot.

View attachment 532334View attachment 532335View attachment 532336
I like the apple good luck .my first round of bonsai I had 2 nice wild apple . The classic old farm cattle pruned . Still looking this round . Be pro active with pest and disease . Control
They make special bonsai under appreciated .

How big a moving truck are you getting just for the trees . Don’t lie it’s bonsai people asking . Not people that will pass a insanity exam . Don’t forget to bring mine north

How big a moving truck are you getting just for the trees . Don’t lie it’s bonsai people asking . Not people that will pass a insanity exam . Don’t forget to bring mine north
I will rent the biggest Uhaul enclosed trailer and make two trips.

I like the bark a lot.
Me too, my first barberry, other than the 8 I ripped out of my flower bed when I purchased my house like 16 years ago, back then bonsai didn't cross my mind, and I hated barberry.

Ohhh, and I made a connection today, a customer at the barbershop that does landscaping said they throw everything they dig out of yards in a burn pile. Told him, why do that when I'll pitch you some money, said they are about to remove a bunch of large Japanese maples very soon most likely, said someone butchered a pruning job and the owners want them replaced. Mentioned I like butchered up Japanese maples haha.

Did another walk about today. I have been searching in vain for a water elm. We are supposed to be in the range but I haven't found any.
No big BC collection. I just pulled one tiny BC for another split trunk bunjin project. Stay tuned :)

Back
Top Bottom