Sweetgum Airlayer attempt

So... did you not cut deeply enough into the wood? Or is sweetgum just not doing air layers?
there's been a breakthough!

i think i wasn't aggressive enough.
going for older wood might be helpful also.

it's about time to start collecting in my zone. daytime highs of 60+ till spring. about to see if my cutting method works on these guys. coco coir/ perlite, clonex, and under a dome till i see growth.

20240125_093637.jpg20240125_093451.jpg20240126_063811.jpg

sweetgums are real comedians with their fake it like they made it routines. you can never count your chickens after they hatch. 😄

20240315_053441.jpg

sweetgums are real comedians with their fake it like they made it routines. you can never count your chickens after they hatch. 😄

View attachment 533930
You may want to try root cuttings also, Sweetgums are hard to get rid of when you remove a large one. The root system will usually start throwing suckers to stay alive. Maybe you could use this to your advantage.

Currently have an air layer going on one that I pulled out of the ground this spring that I had weed whacked last year and had exposed heart wood around. Survived the winter and has pushed growth above and below the layer site. Discouraged after seeing this thread but who knows what’ll happen! If anything maybe they just survive that way and it’ll just live on as is.

Currently have an air layer going on one that I pulled out of the ground this spring that I had weed whacked last year and had exposed heart wood around. Survived the winter and has pushed growth above and below the layer site. Discouraged after seeing this thread but who knows what’ll happen! If anything maybe they just survive that way and it’ll just live on as is.

@Darth Masiah interested in your opinion on this. Pulled the cover off to check on this layer and seems like potentially some progress? Got things back in place but hopefully this is headed in the right direction. Upper portion of tree is growing well.

By the way I checked out your YouTube channel and am really enjoying your videos.

Attachments

• IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8591.jpeg
    IMG_8591.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 13
@Darth Masiah interested in your opinion on this. Pulled the cover off to check on this layer and seems like potentially some progress? Got things back in place but hopefully this is headed in the right direction. Upper portion of tree is growing well.

By the way I checked out your YouTube channel and am really enjoying your videos.
it looks like callus is forming, so that's a positive. looks like you slipped a couple times when you initially cut the ring out, or is that were the wacker got it? all you can do is wait and check it again later. if you don't see any roots by August, you'll probably have to clean up the ring again. they seem to reconnect with the lower portion easily.

it looks like callus is forming, so that's a positive. looks like you slipped a couple times when you initially cut the ring out, or is that were the wacker got it? all you can do is wait and check it again later. if you don't see any roots by August, you'll probably have to clean up the ring again. they seem to reconnect with the lower portion easily.

Here it was coming out of winter having been put into a forest planting where I wanted it to be one of the centerpieces. I started thinking it may not make it though in this condition even after surviving the winter so built the layer off of the pre-done severing of the lower and later trunk bringing us to today.

Attachments

• IMG_8596.png
    IMG_8596.png
    476.4 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom