Super mini JM advice

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I tried an experiment, and it worked according to my original plan, but now I want to check with the community here before I go to the next phase.

When the seeds germinated I planted them in the tiny pots with the radical going through the drainage hole. Then I buried the entire pots in soil.

pure small akadama in the pots, and 3:1 perlite-potting mix in the container.

So my expected result happened. The original plan was to let the taproots girdle. They are cheap pots and might break.

Suggestions?
1. trim escaped roots and put them back in?

2. abandon the plan and just stuff them into the pot later?

3. let them go and see what happens in05DC12A0-8C7A-43FF-A7D2-C1DEE32127CB.jpeg the spring?

4. put them back in but leave the top exposed? expose the top and put a little moss?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd be a little concerned bout a couple of possible outcomes.
1. The escaped roots thicken and block the drain holes in the pots. This usually turns the pots into pools that hold water. I've lost several larger potted plants this way but maybe those tiny pots won't hold too much water?
2. Small pots dry out too quick so roots don't form inside the pots. When the escaped roots are removed there's nothing to keep the trunks alive. I guess with the entire pot buried in a larger container there should still be adequate moisture seeping into the mix in the little pots.
Note that I have not tried this so the above is just theory. It will be interesting to see what does happen.

I don't have any problem reducing roots dramatically so rather than trying weird and wonderful ways to get compact roots I just root prune as necessary at the appropriate time. I guess that makes me a 2 but I'd say it is just a little more sophisticated than 'just stuff them in the pot later'

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your insight as always!

I agree about not needing to reinvent the wheel when something else already works perfectly well. I didn't mean anything by saying "just stuff them in the pot."

I am a total beginner, far too new to be making condescending remarks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem with this is that such those tight containers are forcing roots DOWN before they can develop laterally. Thise minimizes the surface root flare that is so valuable and is one of the top reasons maples are field grown. A wider container would be better as well as severing tap roots to force lateral rooting.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is hard to keep these alive without a type of drip irrigation. Allowing the roots to escape to me defeats the purpose of a mame. It promotes to much growth.

I think developing a trunk for a couple years in like a two or three inch container helps. Do a do a couple chops and work the roots each spring. To get some taper and some radial roots started. Then putting it in the pot making sure to water all the time. I think that is the main problem with mame is making sure they get enough water.

I have a idea of building a mame irrigation system. It’s an actual unit but haven’t gotten to it yet. I think this winter I will. I think mame tree’s are really unique.

Top Bottom