storing unused pots

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Today I was able to secure a 40 year old pot from a local artisan that I collect. I was so disappointed to find out that the pot had been never used and stored inside to where it never had a chance to develop patina.

Which brings me to the topic of why I posted.

How many store their pots outside exposed to the elements so they over the decades can produce patina, and how many store them carefully away to protect them from the weather?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only have cheap pots, so i don't care much. But if i had an expensive pot i wouldn't risk breaking by trying to get it to look old, but on the other hand i like to see old worn pots (maybe in the future when i'm old and rich and famous i will try it ^^)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I keep the bulk of my pots either stacked in my garage or left under my benches. I'd keep more outside but the land is sloped and rocky which can be hazardous to stacked pots. I keep a select few old and/or valuable pots behind glass in my bedroom. They've generally been around long enough to already have the patina we all lust after. I've also taken to using some of my nicer but newer pots as training pots...the constant watering, fertilizing and handling will generate patina faster then anything else.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of mine are placed outside. Most of the pots in the picture are antique Chinese pots.
untitled.png
Bonhe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep the bulk of my pots either stacked in my garage or left under my benches. I'd keep more outside but the land is sloped and rocky which can be hazardous to stacked pots. I keep a select few old and/or valuable pots behind glass in my bedroom. They've generally been around long enough to already have the patina we all lust after. I've also taken to using some of my nicer but newer pots as training pots...the constant watering, fertilizing and handling will generate patina faster then anything else.

I do the same thing with the unused ones. I don't push the limits with my potting so most of my pots tend to be a little bigger and make nice trainers anyway. Too man days away and my wife doesn't make a very willing apprentice..

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Thank-you to those of you who have responded.....I hope to get some more input before I gather a sense of what others deem important....so be willing to share what seems to come down to security verses olde age :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank-you to those of you who have responded.....I hope to get some more input before I gather a sense of what others deem important....so be willing to share what seems to come down to security verses olde age :)
This is an antique Chinese shiro-cochin container, probably 12-150 years old that I picked up a few months ago. Despite it's age, it only has what I'd describe as "ok" patina...so I'm probably going to plant a young Japanese maple to be trained as a cascade. As far as antiques go, it wasn't extremely expensive, maybe around $200...and it will be strapped to the bench;).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have too expensive of pots but I keep them outside in my wintering area on the ground.
My wife wanted to know why I didn't put them on shelves in the shed. I said so hopefully they will get some patina going on them. Another weird look from her.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an antique Chinese shiro-cochin container, probably 12-150 years old that I picked up a few months ago. Despite it's age, it only has what I'd describe as "ok" patina...so I'm probably going to plant a young Japanese maple to be trained as a cascade. As far as antiques go, it wasn't extremely expensive, maybe around $200...and it will be strapped to the bench;).
12-150 yrs is a big gap.
Why so much?
Or typo?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Today I was able to secure a 40 year old pot from a local artisan that I collect. I was so disappointed to find out that the pot had been never used and stored inside to where it never had a chance to develop patina.

I am not much for glazed and the few I have had were easily made "older" with 0000 steel wool and a gentle hand. Some use a frosted glass spray but honest I tried it and it was "ok" but a bit to even.
The unglazed high fired clay I prefer and it takes on a weathered look so rapidly when used outdoors it not uncommon(for me) to scrub them clean and oil them down with mineral oil after three years as they don't just look nice - more of a train wreck.
I suppose it varies due to individual taste but I think the best old pots are unglazed clay looking a bit bleached and wind sanded, not perfectly even.

Grimmy

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Until a person has some trees that have been cared for over a hundred years, and have that "lived in a container for decades" character, I really think pots with heavy patina are a distracting/out of character element to the overall appreciation of a tree.

Since I don't have any of the described trees, I save my efforts to develop patina for stones and keep all unused pots in the garage or house.

Personally, I believe there is a huge amount of marketing surrounding the whole pot patina thing right now! There are a few what appear to be very nice pots being sold but a whole bevy of folks selling dirty old pots from the back of some nursery or warehouse in Japan for a premium $s here in the US.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Since I don't have any of the described trees, I save my efforts to develop patina for stones and keep all unused pots in the garage or house.

I forgot to mention, I store all in bubble wrap boxed in the attic or on open shelving in the plant room for quick access. I am with you on the thoughts you expressed and like I stated I rejuvenate my clays every few years. The oldest trees I have ever owned are gone but hell looking at notes they were never more then 65 ish - no need here fore a 200 year old pot here either.

Grimmy

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought patina was what guys selling old motorcycles were making rust sound elegant. Patina by definition is a metallic process, no? should have looked it up before posting...

Top Bottom