Starting Fresh

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m giving away the three ficus pre bonsai I have left after trying out the grow tent. I sold the grow tent, and now use the windowsill which gets a lot of sun. I’m going to get just one large bonsai tree and go from there. Stick to one from now on until I can keep it alive for one year. I started off with seven trees in the beginning, and four of them died, probably because I had them in a grow tent. And I didn’t work on any of them, I think because so many trees and everything that went into watering them, including opening and shutting the grow tent, turning on and off the light, drained me of interest. I think with one I can give extra special attention to it. I just think that giving myself a fresh start will invigorate my interest and passion.

I started volunteering at the Humane Society, I go twice a week to walk the dogs there. I’ve become very interested in dogs in general, especially training them. I definitely plan to get one of my own in the future, when I’m in a place that allows them. However, I noticed that I just seem to fall headlong into one interest and obsess until I exhaust said interest and move onto something else. I need to change that about myself, so I started mixing up my reading with both dog and bonsai books, as well as some spirituality and poetry books. I need to find balance in life.

Anyways, now I just have to decide where to get the bonsai from. I just know I want a large one, preferably already worked on so I can just maintain it. So I’m expecting to spend about a hundred and fifty dollars, if not more. I have multiple sites up now and I’m looking through them all, trying to decide which to use. Any advice?

The key is definitely learning to keep the tree alive. Horticulture is number one in bonsai. Dead trees don't make bonsai.

Ok so some questions for you.

You said you have ficus.
Were your other trees also ficus?
Are you are just wanting another tropical? Since you posted in the tropical section, I should assume so?
I would recommend willow leaf ficus and a supplemental grow light would be best than just the window that filters a lot more light than you think. IMO you don't need the tent. I have a few tropical trees and I don't own a tent but I do have lights for them.

If you're thinking of a non tropical tree: Do you have a yard that is secure to put it and place to overwinter a tree that needs dormancy? What trees appeal to you?

Your comment about moving on to new things once you "exhaust interest" deserves a comment in response

Bonsai is a long term commitment. There is no such thing as fast or instant bonsai. There is always more to learn but it requires patience.

Like wise Dogs are a long term commitment, 10 to 15 years long. Please don't get a dog unless you can fulfill that commitment. It's not fair to the dog if you just get tired of it after a few years and then you, the only person it has ever known, depends on and is attached to abandons it to an animal shelter or worse, the street or euthanasia. They are a living creature that has a bond with us that we are just beginning to understand. They aren't so much trash you can throw away. Too much of that happening right now so I had to say it.

I've had dogs for 30 years and I am very passionate about the dog-human bond.
My two fur babies.

Attachments

• 20240601_191758.jpg
    20240601_191758.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240601_131337.jpg
    20240601_131337.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom