Species Study - Taxodium distichum

The submerged on has the same size base but are decidedly smaller. If you look at the trunks you will find the growth rings tighter. Although I post only pictures of two trees. This is what I see in several hundred acres which were planted at the same time so the observation is legit as far as I am concerned.

Yep there was a Christmas cactus in the back ground.
I'm just thinking through the math here, that's all. Same width at the base, but smaller diameter at the cut, the smaller top would have more taper. Like a square toe boot compared to a wide square toe.

Unless the cut was done on a stovepipe section above where the taper ends. Tough to tell from above pics. At some point it is undesirable to have girth higher up on the tree. Having a more dramatic flare/buttress would be a good thing IMO.

I'm just thinking through the math here, that's all. Same width at the base, but smaller diameter at the cut, the smaller top would have more taper. Like a square toe boot compared to a wide square toe.

Unless the cut was done on a stovepipe section above where the taper ends. Tough to tell from above pics. At some point it is undesirable to have girth higher up on the tree. Having a more dramatic flare/buttress would be a good thing IMO.
Yes the ones in water have more taper without a doubt in my mind.

It will be good information to know, I’m looking forward to the results of your labors. I’m rooting for you and for them. They are impressive stumps!
Collected 3 weeks ago, already budded up high when collected. 2 out 2 have budded below the chops and are doing well.
Collected 2 weeks ago, already leafing up high when collected. 3 out of 3 have budded.
Collected 1 week ago, already leafing up high but one tree was already down and had extensive root damage. 1 out of 2 has budded. The damaged one is pushing leaves and buds hard. Nothing on the other one.
I will report more in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Collected 3 weeks ago, already budded up high when collected. 2 out 2 have budded below the chops and are doing well.
Collected 2 weeks ago, already leafing up high when collected. 3 out if 3 have budded.
Seeing as how you are having success with late collections I am inspired to try to collect one this summer on the way back from the beach.

Seeing as how you are having success with late collections I am inspired to try to collect one this summer on the way back from the beach.
No guarantee yet. The buds could be from residual energy in the trunks. I will wait to see roots, lots of roots, before declaring success.

Collected 2 weeks ago, already leafing up high when collected. 3 out of 3 have budded.
Collected 1 week ago, already leafing up high but one tree was already down and had extensive root damage. 1 out of 2 has budded. The damaged one is pushing leaves and buds hard. Nothing on the other one.
I will report more in the coming weeks.
So far 7/7 have budded. The ones collected 3 1/2 weeks ago are showing root development. The fact that a sick and severely stressed BC that I collected in August last year is now thriving again makes me feel that BCs can be collected all the way through Spring without issue so long as we take good care of it after collection. By good care I mean keeping the tree and roots moist and never dried out plus avoid full sun that can stress the tree further. Other than that BC is a tough tree, collect it whenever you have a chance in the spring.

So far 7/7 have budded. The ones collected 3 1/2 weeks ago are showing root development. The fact that a sick and severely stressed BC that I collected in August last year is now thriving again makes me feel that BCs can be collected all the way through Spring without issue so long as we take good care of it after collection. By good care I mean keeping the tree and roots moist and never dried out plus avoid full sun that can stress the tree further. Other than that BC is a tough tree, collect it whenever you have a chance in the spring.
That is good to know!

Do they form buttress roots at smaller sizes... like can you "pull the reigns" on young ones, small-pot them, and develop those buttress roots.. for a Shohin-sized tree?

It'd be neat to see a swamp-scape.

Do they form buttress roots at smaller sizes... like can you "pull the reigns" on young ones, small-pot them, and develop those buttress roots.. for a Shohin-sized tree?

I think a Shohin is too tough but a Kifu is within the realm of possibility although it might be really tough still.

I might have better luck looking for one in the swamp with buttress, chop it super low and develop one like the big tree in Illinois.

I might have better luck looking for one in the swamp with buttress, chop it super low and develop one like the big tree in Illinois.
Like this one Joe is doing. I am still scratching my head trying to find a way to completely heal a big stump chop without carving out a hollow.
PS: Since this thread is about a study on the species, I try to find the pertinent threads and link to this thread so this becomes the one thread that link to others as we look at each aspect of BC. Some day in the future we are going to address the elephant subject of BC: The KNEES! That's when Mr MellowMullet et al can show us what we can do.

The smaller the BC, the less buttressing it will have at the roots. Buttress is dependent on strong root growth. The more room roots have to run with BC, the more buttressing they develop. They do very little buttress development in pots. That is why you collect trees with already established buttressed roots.

The smaller the BC, the less buttressing it will have at the roots. Buttress is dependent on strong root growth. The more room roots have to run with BC, the more buttressing they develop. They do very little buttress development in pots. That is why you collect trees with already established buttressed roots.
I can find tree with buttressed roots. How do I drastically reduce the trunk? Can a 8+" cut be healed ? I am seriously considering a stepwise chop where I chop at 12" and allow the tree to bud everywhere and form lots of branches. Then I will make subsequent partial cuts at the height I want. The tree will then have enough top foliage to support the healing. Your thought @rockm ?

Last edited:
I can find tree with buttressed roots. How do I drastically reduce the trunk? Can a 8+" cut be healed ?
An 8 inch cut can be healed in time, containerizing the tree will slow that healing. Ground planting for a couple of years after initial collection should do it.

Reducing the trunk on a BC is pretty straightforward. Saw it where you want it to end.

An 8 inch cut can be healed in time, containerizing the tree will slow that healing. Ground planting for a couple of years after initial collection should do it.

Reducing the trunk on a BC is pretty straightforward. Saw it where you want it to end.
Oh boy. Shohin sumo BC here I come. I am going to the swamp in the next month or so to find one with good buttresses and chop it at 5". It will top out at 10" which is barely considered shohin but :)

Oh boy. Shohin sumo BC here I come. I am going to the swamp in the next month or so to find one with good buttresses and chop it at 5". It will top out at 10" which is barely considered shohin but :)
I'd be pretty cautious about doing this now. It's pretty far past prime collection season down there. Collecting in active growth is not really a good way to get a BC out alive. Also, Chopping a tree and leaving in place --not digging it up--will probably kill it.

I'd be pretty cautious about doing this now. It's pretty far past prime collection season down there. Collecting in active growth is not really a good way to get a BC out alive. Also, Chopping a tree and leaving in place --not digging it up--will probably kill it.
My time in Louisiana is limited and my friend has lots of trees in his shallow ponds that he doesn't mind thinning them out to allow crawfish production. Given that some of the trees will be eliminated whether I collect or not, I might gander a try or two.

Here are some candidates for a killer BC bonsai. All around 12-15 ft tall with 16-20” base. I will get permission to get one next year. I would not risk digging any of them now.
64BF7AE7-98EE-442B-B082-683AE6457549.jpeg
B6262130-4E5D-4C65-A027-739E0128BE2D.jpeg
FB4F886A-E1D8-4EF2-9ABD-DFC3A23FFE3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, but remember you're gonna have to buy pots for them at some point down the road...😁 A tree with a 20' nebari will require roughly a bathtub sized pot
If I own a tree like that, I will buy the pot! I think I will need a cattle feeder tub or a big cement mixing tub (36" L x 24" W x 8" D) when I collect that tree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom