Sourcing material from forest

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for peoples opinions on sourcing material from forest.
Either by digging up seedlings or air layering mature trees.

I live close to several forests and have an opportunity to get Oak, Ash, Pine, Maple, Yew and many other local species.
I'm curious as to what people think of the 'ethics' when sourcing material from the public forest.

Officially you need permission from the owner of the forest.
But to be honest I have taken seedlings and small trees from the forest myself (without asking for permission).
If I wanted to take larger trees from the forest I would try to contact the state forestry department and explain why I want the tree and what I want to do with it.

Looking for peoples opinions on sourcing material from forest.
Either by digging up seedlings or air layering mature trees.

I live close to several forests and have an opportunity to get Oak, Ash, Pine, Maple, Yew and many other local species.
I'm curious as to what people think of the 'ethics' when sourcing material from the public forest.
The ethics are you need permission to collect on any land you don't own. Otherwise it boils down to theft, even on public lands.

You don't give a location, but if you take material from a state or national forest in the U.S. without a permit, you're breaking the law. Public lands are already under pressure from poachers and vandals. You can also be making life difficult for other bonsai-ists who do seek permission, as illegal collection can sour land managers on bonsai collection in general.

Many public forests offer plant collection permits. Some don't. Part of collecting for bonsai involves getting permission to collect.

If you're collecting on privately-owned land, you're risking getting arrested and charged with trespassing or possibly worse if the landowner is armed. Sometimes landowners will give permission to collect. Some bonsai clubs have already done the permission legwork with some landowners and have specific collecting trips. Might be worth looking into.

The ethics are you need permission to collect on any land you don't own. Otherwise it boils down to theft, even on public lands.

You don't give a location, but if you take material from a state or national forest in the U.S. without a permit, you're breaking the law. Public lands are already under pressure from poachers and vandals. You can also be making life difficult for other bonsai-ists who do seek permission, as illegal collection can sour land managers on bonsai collection in general.

Many public forests offer plant collection permits. Some don't. Part of collecting for bonsai involves getting permission to collect.

If you're collecting on privately-owned land, you're risking getting arrested and charged with trespassing or possibly worse if the landowner is armed. Sometimes landowners will give permission to collect. Some bonsai clubs have already done the permission legwork with some landowners and have specific collecting trips. Might be worth looking into.
Ill send out some emails and enquire. Located in Ireland and the forests are owned by Coillte which is a 'state-owned commercial forestry business'.

Ill send out some emails and enquire. Located in Ireland and the forests are owned by Coillte which is a 'state-owned commercial forestry business'.
Poke around this page for info. Doesn't look like there are any forest resource collection permits or the like, but they do allow hunting on their lands, which is a good sign. Might require some calling or emailing around to find out specifics of plant collection (I would avoid using the term "bonsai" as a reason, as that can put weird ideas in their heads initially)

Back
Top Bottom