Soft Akadama?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i've acquired some Fujiyama branded akadama second hand that's soft as hell? crumbles between one's fingers easily.. no good right? I believe the guy has had this stuff for a number of years if that changes anything. Sealed in bag.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah Ive bought a couple of bags from Dallas Bonsai and they're soft and mushy also.. Originally I thought it was a bad batch or something but now I'm not so sure

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am going way out on a limb so take my words with a grain of fertilizer(salt), but akadama is supposed to be soft to some degree. If it is calcined or vitrified it is not akadama any more. What to do with it? Sift it, and put it in a mix with 1/3 pumice and 1/3 lava and use it on a tree that is in the refinement stage and can go a few years without repotting. The pumice and lava will retain the overall substrate structure and access to air. The akadama will provide a high C.E.C., buffer salts and break down over time. As it breaks down it will hold more and more water for the plant. As the plant adds more ramification and foliage it will require more water.. perfect, right?

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
My akadama when dry is hardish, it takes a good squeeze to get it to crumble into fine dirt, once it is all soaked in water it is very easy to smoosh it into mud. if you are in a humid area and the akadama is holding moisture it may be the reason for an easy smoosh. The akadama keeps its form and does not break down when watering but when I grab a piece from my pot and smoosh it, it just smashes flat. I think it makes sense what MrFancyPlants is saying.

if this is not what akadama should be like it would be nice to know.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I bought a small bag of it at a garden store in Chicago and it pretty much went to mush instantly. From what I hear, akadama crumbles after a few freeze-thaw cycles. Freeze-thaw can be disastrous, especially if there is water in the material (water expands when freezing, this is the biggest factor in rock erosion in high mountains). This would be my guess. Pretty happy with Napa 8822 here.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are certainly grades of Akadama. I've had a couple that were so soft I couldn't use them. I found the right brand and use it now with no issues.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ended up with an akadama, pumice, lava mix at a A. palmatum forest workshop recently and will never use the stuff. It is already turning to mush after only a month. For CEC I use sifted tree bark compost from Nature’s Helper. Tree bark may decompse in a few years but it generally holds its structure in the meantime. I can see the theory behind using it since it does form a nice mush that holds nutrients and moisture, but over time the clay will form an impervious layer in the pot and impede drainage.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Haahahahaaa.....thats the guy i get mine from and other bonsai stuff. He is a nice guy too, his wall of Akadama is huge. I drive out there once a month or so for dinner at Wild Crab and if I need anything I can send him a text and pick it up. At $23 a bag for akadama its a nice deal.
at least I know the Akadama I get is good. Thank you @JudyB for the confirmation. It may help that its stored with no worry of freeze thaw in Southern California.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it's certainly the best I've found. And is reasonable...
I've gotten another double line brand that was good from a ebay store called Rennys Hawarthia, but I haven't seen him have any lately. And this stuff seems better anyway.
Stay away from the Ryussen brand

Top Bottom