So my car grows these maples...

Avanthalas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B?
I found some tips on treating scale in another thread. Try to brush them off with a q tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and then treat them with an insecticide/insecticidal soap. I'm a fan of organic gardening, but chemical insecticides do tend to be strong (for better or worse, as they can seep into the environment). Obviously, don't use those inside though
I am in a punk rock gardening and bird watching group on FB (even though I only watch crows and only "garden" maple trees) and they suggested the rubbing alcohol thing which is what I have been doing, but it is a little hard to get them out of the spots where a few tiny branches come together or the clusters of very tiny leaves that are just starting.

I definitely intend to go through more threads here so I can take better care of them.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not that it makes a difference, the treatment is the same, but those look like Sweetgum trees, not maples.
I have tried to get rid of scale on two trees. A Flying Dragon (Ponceris trifoliata) and a Hillier elm. I fought them diligently with all methods described for over three years before I broke down and resorted to chemical warfare. Goes against my grain, but I got no more scale and the trees are prospering.
Oh, and by the way Portland, welcome to the forum! I'm down here in the woods of S. Oregon.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I fought them diligently with all methods described for over three years before I broke down and resorted to chemical warfare. Goes against my grain, but I got no more scale and the trees are prospering.
Yep, I said I believe in an organic approach...but I haven't had any bad outbreaks that would push me across the line, so who could say in that case!

Avanthalas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B?
Not that it makes a difference, the treatment is the same, but those look like Sweetgum trees, not maples.
I have tried to get rid of scale on two trees. A Flying Dragon (Ponceris trifoliata) and a Hillier elm. I fought them diligently with all methods described for over three years before I broke down and resorted to chemical warfare. Goes against my grain, but I got no more scale and the trees are prospering.
They do look similar, but they come from the giant big leaf maple in front of my house and the whirly maple seeds were still on the starts.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Avanthalas are you interested in stepping into a more bonsai type of world? You can pick up quite a lot of nice trees come fall time when things get discounted to liquidation prices, and there's no shortage of great nurseries in Oregon. Often, those discounted trees are actually better for bonsai, since they have characteristics that make them bad for landscape growing.

There's also a Bonsai Society of Portland swap meet coming up next Saturday.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do look similar, but they come from the giant big leaf maple in front of my house and the whirly maple seeds were still on the starts.
I took a closer look and I see the big leaf maple in most. The one pic of only one leaf got me.
A very difficult tree to work into bonsai culture. Of course, huge leaves, but also extremely long internodes between those leaves. You can get the leaves to reduce somewhat, but you're constantly fighting the internodes with each new growth. Definitely want to grow a fairly large tree.

Avanthalas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B?
@Avanthalas are you interested in stepping into a more bonsai type of world? You can pick up quite a lot of nice trees come fall time when things get discounted to liquidation prices, and there's no shortage of great nurseries in Oregon. Often, those discounted trees are actually better for bonsai, since they have characteristics that make them bad for landscape growing.

There's also a Bonsai Society of Portland swap meet coming up next Saturday.
I think I would feel worse about messing up if it was a tree that I went and bought/acquired on purpose... these are good because if I mess it up at least they had a chance they didn't have anyway (they can't live on my car forever).

Avanthalas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B?
I took a closer look and I see the big leaf maple in most. The one pic of only one leaf got me.
A very difficult tree to work into bonsai culture. Of course, huge leaves, but also extremely long internodes between those leaves. You can get the leaves to reduce somewhat, but you're constantly fighting the internodes with each new growth. Definitely want to grow a fairly large tree.
I had to look up what an internode was. The leaves are really big the first year, but when I trim them they make tiny leaves the second and third year, it seems. If they make it to three years they look like tiny trees!

Avanthalas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B?
Just swinging through to give a thumbs up for an excellent thread title. 👍
I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Plus I always think "If my car can grow these trees then I should be able to..."

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I would feel worse about messing up if it was a tree that I went and bought/acquired on purpose... these are good because if I mess it up at least they had a chance they didn't have anyway (they can't live on my car forever).
Totally understandable, but if you go during fall clearance, you can pick up trees that are cheap enough that you would likely not feel this way. I'm talking $10-20. Many of these trees just get composted if they don't sell, so no harm there either. Trees are a bit harder to kill than some might expect if your only goal is to keep them alive.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
scale is a bit of a long term project I have picked them off with tweezers and Q tips both worked but tweezers meant I could make sure they were removed and not just knocked into the soil.

Removal leaves powdery white marks which is where you then rub with alcohol.

I'd recommend leaving the stuff you use near the trees because just when you think you have removed them all, you spot another one.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom