So it arrived...

New growth got fried in shipping. No worry but clip it off.
Is this going to be a bonsai or is it simply for your maple collection?

New growth got fried in shipping. No worry but clip it off.
Is this going to be a bonsai or is it simply for your maple collection?
Thought so but wanted to be sure, thanks. So grateful to have another pair of eyes.

It’s in the maple collection for now. Might take another look at it in a couple years and see if it inspires anything interesting. Got my eye on a Sangokaku and a couple of Mugo pines from the same place but I’ll wait until spring....let someone else take them through the winter 😅.

Last edited:
Thought so but wanted to be sure, thanks. So grateful to have another pair of eyes.

It’s in the maple collection for now. Might take another look at it in a couple years and see if it inspires anything interesting. Got my eye on a Sangokaku and a couple of Mugo pines from the same place but I’ll wait until spring....let someone else take them through the winter 😅.
Hey, thanks again for linking me maillot. Regarding your pictures, that is fungal damage. You can recognize it through the black discoloration. Leaves that just have drought damage dont turn black. Remove the discolored leaves and spray with fungicide. Do the same next spring

that is fungal damage
Yes it is. It happens to most deciduous trees that spend some time in a box. It is not a pathogen but rather a fungus that grows on dead or dying leaves in a dark moist environment. Simply exposure to light and air will kill it but it is best to remove the leaves.
I have seen this on literally many dozens of plants that have been shipped. Sometimes it is because the plants tenders leaves dried and other times because of mechanical damage to the leaves. Either way, the leaves are fried. It would not hurt to use a fungicide, but it doesn't need it. It is out of the box now and that is what matters.

Yes it is. It happens to most deciduous trees that spend some time in a box. It is not a pathogen but rather a fungus that grows on dead or dying leaves in a dark moist environment. Simply exposure to light and air will kill it but it is best to remove the leaves.
I have seen this on literally many dozens of plants that have been shipped. Sometimes it is because the plants tenders leaves dried and other times because of mechanical damage to the leaves. Either way, the leaves are fried. It would not hurt to use a fungicide, but it doesn't need it. It is out of the box now and that is what matters.
Seen the same kind of damage on living shoots, growing outdoors in full sun without mechanical or drought damage.

I thought I had too, but it seems like it normally turns out to be environmental of from pest. In fact, I see in fairly regularly but I have a lot of maples. Some of my maple avtually had sun scald. I did see a little fungus when it was very hot and wet, In moved my potted maple top where that had more open exposure and away from the wall and most of it went right away. I did spray a few of them.
But either or either,what the poster showed is not serious and it was due to shipping.

I’ll spray it as a precaution. Just not right now as is raining hard outside where it now is 😂

I hear ya. That is the way I am with most of my maples.
Especially when you have to blind buy a cultivar you want because there is nothing of it locally. You never know what’s going to turn up. Sometimes you’ll get something and immediately see some bonsai potential, other times it‘s a bit of a bush you’ll put aside and revisit in the future. I’m happy with this one, it’s on the larger side of its order specifications. Doesn matter to me if it ends up as bonsai or not, it might even provide some good cuttings at some point if it remains uninspiring in itself.

That said, my red dragon (which I have never seen as a bonsai, not sure how well the leaves would reduce) has a very nice and naturally leaning twisted trunk if I were to chance air layering it off it’s graft one day. So that one I could be tempted to experiment with. I’d like to thicken it up more first though in case it does not reduce too well, so aiming for a larger Bonsai for that one just in case.

Especially when you have to blind buy a cultivar you want because there is nothing of it locally. You never know what’s going to turn up. Sometimes you’ll get something and immediately see some bonsai potential, other times it‘s a bit of a bush you’ll put aside and revisit in the future. I’m happy with this one, it’s on the larger side of its order specifications. Doesn matter to me if it ends up as bonsai or not, it might even provide some good cuttings at some point if it remains uninspiring in itself.

That said, my red dragon (which I have never seen as a bonsai, not sure how well the leaves would reduce) has a very nice and naturally leaning twisted trunk if I were to chance air layering it off it’s graft one day. So that one I could be tempted to experiment with. I’d like to thicken it up more first though in case it does not reduce too well, so aiming for a larger Bonsai for that one just in case.
Love your attitude.

Back
Top Bottom