Small Root Over Rock Nishikigawa

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got some day light now for a slightly better picture. I'm starting to do more and more thread grafts since last year. I wish I had a few more babies to thread graft the mother tree of the airlayer I used on this tree.

Hopefully I'll do a good job with these latest thread grafts. I'm nervous about wire biting into my maples. They can grow so fast sometimes. I think my method was pretty good though.

1) I decided where I wanted branches.
2) I prepared the babies for easy handling
3) I determined which ones are good matches for where I'm grafting based on their thickness or pliability.
4) I prepared the babies for threading by wrapping the branches with a product called Parafilm to protect the buds and secondary branches.
5) Drilled holes using small bit and going up to as large as needed. When I use larger bit, I drill not completely through but in from either side. Check to make sure the holes are clear of debris. Have all holes ready. You dont want to break your grafts while drilling more holes.
6) Thread the babies through starting with what will be the branches at the bottom to top.
7) sealed holes.
8) I think removing the parafilm is optional. I'm selectively OCD so I removed it fairly easily.
9) Wire new branches.

Dang that sounds like a lot of work I did there. Glad I didn't make a list or else I might change my mind about the doing the work 😆
20200130_091204.jpg

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got some day light now for a slightly better picture. I'm starting to do more and more thread grafts since last year. I wish I had a few more babies to thread graft the mother tree of the airlayer I used on this tree.

Hopefully I'll do a good job with these latest thread grafts. I'm nervous about wire biting into my maples. They can grow so fast sometimes. I think my method was pretty good though.

1) I decided where I wanted branches.
2) I prepared the babies for easy handling
3) I determined which ones are good matches for where I'm grafting based on their thickness or pliability.
4) I prepared the babies for threading by wrapping the branches with a product called Parafilm to protect the buds and secondary branches.
5) Drilled holes using small bit and going up to as large as needed. When I use larger bit, I drill not completely through but in from either side. Check to make sure the holes are clear of debris. Have all holes ready. You dont want to break your grafts while drilling more holes.
6) Thread the babies through starting with what will be the branches at the bottom to top.
7) sealed holes.
8) I think removing the parafilm is optional. I'm selectively OCD so I removed it fairly easily.
9) Wire new branches.

Dang that sounds like a lot of work I did there. Glad I didn't make a list or else I might change my mind about the doing the work 😆
View attachment 281412
Nice work! Going to be a winner for sure!
I was trying the same thing with the parafilm on thread grafts last week but I gave up. It just kept bunching up and getting stuck in the middle of the tree. Seems like its easier to apply the parafilm if you stretch it first. I ended up just wrapping some thin wire around the end of the graft an pull it through.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work! Going to be a winner for sure!
I was trying the same thing with the parafilm on thread grafts last week but I gave up. It just kept bunching up and getting stuck in the middle of the tree. Seems like its easier to apply the parafilm if you stretch it first. I ended up just wrapping some thin wire around the end of the graft an pull it through.
I wont know if it's a winner until I get closer to the finish line 😄.
Yes, I stretch out the film first. Wrap by holding the baby tree and securing an end of the film with one hand while rotating. With other hand keep tension as you wrap it up. Once threaded through, you can unwrap simply by grabbing the end at the tip and carefully pulling it away. May take some practice and adapt as needed. It works like magic sort of like when you open a rice bag without a blade 😆. I have had a lot less snagging when I wrap the branch well. Makes holes slightly larger than needed and make sure clear of debris. Plug hole with tooth pick and cut to size or a piece of a branch and seal the holes.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wont know if it's a winner until I get closer to the finish line 😄.
Yes, I stretch out the film first. Wrap by holding the baby tree and securing an end of the film with one hand while rotating. With other hand keep tension as you wrap it up. Once threaded through, you can unwrap simply by grabbing the end at the tip and carefully pulling it away. May take some practice and adapt as needed. It works like magic sort of like when you open a rice bag without a blade 😆. I have had a lot less snagging when I wrap the branch well. Makes holes slightly larger than needed and make sure clear of debris. Plug hole with tooth pick and cut to size or a piece of a branch and seal the holes.
Thanks for the details. Yes definitely will get easier with practice. 😎

Top Bottom