Silver poplar?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Has anyone worked with this species? What do you think about it? Its a pretty common tree around here and is tough as nails. I'm thinking about trying to find one before winter.

Poplar are usually similar to birch, they are short lived softwoods. The truth is I have a couple in the garden, I love the way their leaves move in the wind. I would grab one, and see what you can do with it. No harm in trying! Enjoy!

Trying to find one might be more of a chore then I though. Seems many people have removed them due to how bad they sucker and they don't grow wild here.

I had a poplar of some type (maybe even cottonwood, not sure...haven't bothered to try to make a positive ID yet) volunteer in my growing bed. I let it go for a couple of years and it has developed a decent lower trunk. I'm probably going to try to dig it in the spring and see what can be done with it. I have noticed that some type of borer likes it, there has been a fair amount of digging but so far the tree isn't showing any ill effects.

I don't have silver poplar but I have quite a few cottonwoods. I actually really like them, I've been working one pretty hard since the spring and the leaves and internodes are tiny already. They also grow fast, and I like to keep busy.

Aaron

I was wondering if cottonwood leaves reduced well or not. They are everywhere here, along with birch and aspen.
I should be able to find something next year but I still really want a silver.

I was wondering if cottonwood leaves reduced well or not. They are everywhere here, along with birch and aspen.
I should be able to find something next year but I still really want a silver.
Here's the leaves on mine 20160828_172109.jpg
And it's nice short internodes20160828_172300.jpg
Aaron

What kind of cottonwood is that? The ones here look different.

What kind of cottonwood is that? The ones here look different.
It's a western cottonwood (populus fremontii).
I also have a few Lance leaf cottonwoods which is a hybrid between the narrow leaf, and the plains cottonwoods.

Aaron

Tulip poplar grow like weeds in my yard.
I'm letting one go, on the side in the house, check on it in a few years, chop it, it worthy....

All your cottonwoods are nicer then the black cottonwood that grows here. The leaves are huge and the growth is coarse, not a attractive tree at all..

All your cottonwoods are nicer then the black cottonwood that grows here. The leaves are huge and the growth is coarse, not a attractive tree at all..
These have huge leaves and long internodes when you let them grow, here's my other one.20160830_144306.jpg 20160830_144315.jpg
They just take A LOT of pruning to keep small.

Aaron

Those are really big, wider then the black but not quite as long. Its a much more attractive tree, I wouldn't mind having on of those myself. Do they have the little buds that produce the stick blood red sap?

Its a much more attractive tree, I wouldn't mind having on of those myself. Do they have the little buds that produce the stick blood red sap?
Not sure I understand your question.
I have a few cuttings that I could send you but they're pretty small, I'd be glad to send you one of the larger 4"+ cuttings I'm planning on taking next spring. I've already got my eyes on some nice branches lol

Aaron

The leaf buds on the blacks have a red sap inside, if you squeeze them it oozes out. Looks like blood and is damn near impossible to get off your skin, smells real nice though. http://www.wildernesscollege.com/cottonwood-salve.html
I'd love to get a cutting next spring. I'm always up for native species from different areas. Maybe I can hunt up a nice black for you in trade?

If possible join a club and find some decent material. Don't know what you have there but maybe a club can arrange some digs for suitable material. I imagine it's cold up there but one thing that comes to mind is Amur maple which makes a good bonsai. Maybe it can be found in a local nursery but certainly on-line. or find other cold hardy species.

It is difficult and time consuming enough to develop a deciduous bonsai from raw material from a suitable species much less a large leaved coarse tree with long internodes.

I imagine this post will draw fire but I do not expect to see a good bonsai from these species or some of the others that have been posted lately. You don't see the experienced members on this forum touting these odd-ball species.

I don't care if you are 19 years old, spend your time with decent material. Time is shorter than you think.

If possible join a club and find some decent material. Don't know what you have there but maybe a club can arrange some digs for suitable material. I imagine it's cold up there but one thing that comes to mind is Amur maple which makes a good bonsai. Maybe it can be found in a local nursery but certainly on-line. or find other cold hardy species.

It is difficult and time consuming enough to develop a deciduous bonsai from raw material from a suitable species much less a large leaved coarse tree with long internodes.

I imagine this post will draw fire but I do not expect to see a good bonsai from these species or some of the others that have been posted lately. You don't see the experienced members on this forum touting these odd-ball species.

I don't care if you are 19 years old, spend your time with decent material. Time is shorter than you think.
I'm 22 and have plenty of very high quality material.
My poplar are more so of experiments, which I've proved quite a few people wrong on quite a few things about them.

For instance, they have big leaves and long internodes, I've changed that quite drastically in only one year.

I've actually had my teacher who was a student of Ben Oki tell me a year ago that they are worthless and no good for bonsai. Last week she saw mine and literally was mad at herself for giving up! She said "good job Aaron, you proved us wrong!"
To here that from a women with 50 years of experience, tells me something.

One question, have you ever tried a poplar and ACTUALLY gave it a chance? Probably not, just like many others.
I'd love to post a pic of my tree but it's been growing out for a few weeks to gain energy for winter. I'll pot an update on my thread of the tree though.
I'll continue to use this "trash tree" as many call it, and I'll continue to enjoy it!

Happy bonsai
Aaron

I have plenty of other "suitable" species, including a few amur. For me, bonsai is a hobby, something to enjoy. Its not a way of life, nor am I interested in producing show trees. I just want attractive trees that I enjoy, if that means using uncommon species then so be it.

Gail C,

I only answered your question, "What do you think about it?" I thought you were asking for advice/opinions? I was only offering mine, not attacking you or anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom