Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good to know.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a little look about and found the following listed as being from witch's brooms. I make no assertion except that is what is claimed.
Skeeter's Broom
Vic's Broom
Carlis Corner
Anna's Broom
Briella's Broom
Corvallis Broom
Sara D
Jerre Schwartz
Fjellhiem

My thought is that there are more JM brooms than any of us are aware of.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Shaina" JM is from a witches broom of a "Bloodgood" type maple that is growing in front of the Public Safety Building at Villanova University in Pennsylvania, USA. It was found by plants man Dick Wolfe of Red Maple Nursery in PA.
There are probably other but this is the only one I have any information on. I have 3 of these maples and they are wonderful but have ugly grafts.

I seem to remember Bill Valavanius has a species of tree named after him. It is the result of a "witches broom" he developed and cultivated.

Also, check this out
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/01/29/plant-fanatics-climb-up-trees-hunting-for-witchs-brooms

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most people don't associate oaks with thorns or spines, but on the West Coast there are several species that you definitely don't want to bump into accidentally.

The spiniest one is the canyon live oak. My god the spines are long and deadly. Much sturdier than any holly tree.

View attachment 416239
I found similar spines on some Gambels scrub oak here in Colorado while hiking over the summer. I think I posted a pic earlier in this thread somewhere. Just a couple small pockets of them had the sharp leaves. All the rest on the same mountain seemed normal.
Apparently they sometimes they do this when under drought conditions, though I've been all over the local countryside for 25 years and had never noticed it before.
Might try to collect some in spring and see what happens.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found similar spines on some Gambels scrub oak here in Colorado while hiking over the summer. I think I posted a pic earlier in this thread somewhere. Just a couple small pockets of them had the sharp leaves. All the rest on the same mountain seemed normal.
Apparently they sometimes they do this when under drought conditions, though I've been all over the local countryside for 25 years and had never noticed it before.
Might try to collect some in spring and see what happens.
Often they have juvenile and mature foliage. With the juvenile foliage being spiky.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Both of these scenarios are plausible.
Holm oak (Q ilex) also have two types of leafs a Holly like leaf with bristles on the edge on low growing, fast growing and young branches and smooth leaves on old growth and canopy.

9ffd2fe0680ae33bc94f0f9e0b410542fe020e7e.jpg

images (1).jpeg

Top Bottom