Show your 2024 maple colors!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice!! How old is yours? If you don't want the seed... let me know. ;)
I purchased as a 1 gallon from Mr. Maple during their 2022 spring open house back in may of 2022 so still fairly young. I grew it in a terracotta pot from Lowe’s the past 2 years and planted it in the ground in a root pouch over the winter.

For those paying attention to this thread, Alan’s gold is the ultimate Japanese maple. It was a coral bark for me this winter, it’s a rough bark, it’s got small leaves, incredible spring color, and fall color. If you don’t have this cultivar you are sleeping on it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Seigen in your more recent post; is that the Maplestone Ornamentals version?
Yup, those pictures are 2 different seigens I got from maplestone ornamentals. I also got a Seigen from topiary gardens on the way. Once it gets here, I plan to write a post comparing them all with some Seigen from Japan

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased as a 1 gallon from Mr. Maple during their 2022 spring open house back in may of 2022 so still fairly young. I grew it in a terracotta pot from Lowe’s the past 2 years and planted it in the ground in a root pouch over the winter.

For those paying attention to this thread, Alan’s gold is the ultimate Japanese maple. It was a coral bark for me this winter, it’s a rough bark, it’s got small leaves, incredible spring color, and fall color. If you don’t have this cultivar you are sleeping on it.
I agree. Pro tip.. lol: Most nurseries list it as "Allen's Gold" but Pat McCracken (who introduced the variety) lists it as "Alan's Gold". I managed to get some from him last fall. I'm sure it would have already been sold out if it were listed the same as other sites. -- I did check with him on the spelling and he stated that the other's have misspelled the name. It is named after Alan Galloway.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, those pictures are 2 different seigens I got from maplestone ornamentals. I also got a Seigen from topiary gardens on the way. Once it gets here, I plan to write a post comparing them all with some Seigen from Japan
Sounds good. I have two from them, as well as one from Ed Clark and one from Mendocino Maples. They are definitely not all the same cultivar.. lol. Still great trees though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sounds good. I have two from them, as well as one from Ed Clark and one from Mendocino Maples. They are definitely not all the same cultivar.. lol. Still great trees though.
How does your Seigen from Ed Clark compare to the Seigen from Mendocino? I talked with Ed last year but he couldn’t ship due to a heat wave. I still need to get one from him.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How does your Seigen from Ed Clark compare to the Seigen from Mendocino? I talked with Ed last year but he couldn’t ship due to a heat wave. I still need to get one from him.
I haven't seen it in spring yet. Buds are just swelling so it won't be long. Even then it will be hard to really compare to the Mendocino until next spring. However I do think those will be much more alike than the one from Maplestone, judging by the general leaf size and shape.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did you get your Japanese seigen's?

Top Bottom