SHISHIGASHIRA GROUP PLANTING

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Originally purchased from Brussel's Bonsai in the summer of 2019. This was a three tree composition in which I liked the movement of the main trees but I thought more could be done with this material.

Below is the original bonsai as it appeared on Brussel's website. As offered, the composition faced right.

IMG_0EA50B4C2D65-1.jpeg

IMG_CA1192D7573C-1.jpeg

IMG_5A3F959B979D-1.jpeg

I decided to create a composition with a greater number of trees. In 2020, I did several air layers to obtain additional trees. By the end of that year I separated all the air layers which now gave me several more trees for the planned larger grouping. Unfortunately, I did not get to it until the spring of 2022. So in 2021 I continued growing and developing the layered trees.

Below a couple of photos of when the group was being re-envisioned back in February 2022, using a combination of the original trees with those that were created from air layers two years prior.

IMG_8215 copy.jpg

IMG_8214 copy.jpg

The maple grouping as it looked right after leaf fall, November 2022.

IMG_2832 copy.jpg

Taking it now one more step forward, the trees were pruned to improve taper and structure, some others were taken out and wiring was done. Shishigashira is notoriously slow in ramifying. They produce lots of stubby looking shoots that do not extend much at all which is particularly necessary especially when one is developing primary and secondary branching. In instances where shoots do elongate enough, they are typically straight and coarse. To give these maples any degree of graceful movement, wire must be applied very carefully since this cultivar is extremely stiff and brittle. Generally, their development phase can be painstakingly slow. But your patience will be rewarded with incredible spring and fall colors, distinctive foliage, tight and intricate ramification and beautiful bark.

Approximately 35" tall. Granite slab 36" wide.

IMG_2873 copy.jpg

IMG_2869 copy.jpg

IMG_2855 copy.jpg

IMG_2850 copy.jpg

IMG_2849 copy.jpg

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow. Nice work.
I like that you added the smaller trees to the right side of the composition. The uninterrupted diagonal flow from the top of the lead tree to the edge of the slab is really eye pleasing.
The current outline is reminiscent of a lateen. Really well done.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice stuff Sergio as always.

Wish I could get down there to look around that place as Im sure they dont have half their stuff posted on the website
Brussels has some nice material and sometimes you can find things with really good potential like this grouping.
The thing is being able to see it and then bring it out.

I just bought a Chinese Elm from them. Been looking for one with a decent trunk for a while.
The one I bought will be air layered and I think I can get 2 possibly 3 trees out of it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've never seen a shishi group. I'm sure you'll turn this into something special, so I'm following along.

Any tips on successful air layers?
I've done 2 at this point and in both cases, the layers made decent roots and survived half a growing season before dying at the end of summer.

Bonsai Q did a video recently showing a grower explain that he actually layers his twice. Cuts the roots back once, let's them go another half season or so, and then separates. If I remember correctly he said he has a nearly 100% success rate doing this.

Perhaps you do something similar?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow. Nice work.
I like that you added the smaller trees to the right side of the composition. The uninterrupted diagonal flow from the top of the lead tree to the edge of the slab is really eye pleasing.
The current outline is reminiscent of a lateen. Really well done.

Thank you! The composition is inspired by theatrical set design, where architectural elements/props are designed in such a way to give you a sense of depth or distance within a very narrow physical space. I'd like to keep exploring this idea further.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice stuff Sergio as always.

Wish I could get down there to look around that place as Im sure they dont have half their stuff posted on the website
Brussels has some nice material and sometimes you can find things with really good potential like this grouping.
The thing is being able to see it and then bring it out.

I just bought a Chinese Elm from them. Been looking for one with a decent trunk for a while.
The one I bought will be air layered and I think I can get 2 possibly 3 trees out of it

I have never been there but they do have WAY more at their nursery than they can possibly advertise. Good luck with your elm. Sounds like a good and fun project!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've never seen a shishi group. I'm sure you'll turn this into something special, so I'm following along.

Any tips on successful air layers?
I've done 2 at this point and in both cases, the layers made decent roots and survived half a growing season before dying at the end of summer.

Bonsai Q did a video recently showing a grower explain that he actually layers his twice. Cuts the roots back once, let's them go another half season or so, and then separates. If I remember correctly he said he has a nearly 100% success rate doing this.

Perhaps you do something similar?

All of mine took on the first go except for one which I had to redo twice until it finally produced roots. They are not particularly difficult to layer. Perhaps yours did not have enough roots to support the tree long term?

Yes I have seen at least a couple of shishi forests here and there. Bjorn has one :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you! The composition is inspired by theatrical set design, where architectural elements/props are designed in such a way to give you a sense of depth or distance within a very narrow physical space. I'd like to keep exploring this idea further.
Always has been the way my brain interprets things. So I can see you taking it to more of your trees as well. Nice grouping!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never been there but they do have WAY more at their nursery than they can possibly advertise. Good luck with your elm. Sounds like a good and fun project!

Thanks
I haven't seen it yet, it is still on its way
I'll make a post about it when it gets here and I can get a better look at it.

Top Bottom