Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Paul,

Here is the one I was telling you about. It looked like this last year:

View attachment 192401

I thought it was dead, but I kept it watered and did the "semi ground-layer" and here it is today:

View attachment 192402

View attachment 192403

It is a little overgrown now, I am just letting it grow for now to help it recover from whatever malady it had suffered from.

John

Do I need to do that with mine? Or is there a way to tell if it's completely dead?

Oh and btw I saw that one on your website.. it's awesome. Glad it came back!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know, when inspecting mine, I found the roots, from the nebari down to not be in the best of shape. Knowing how well they root, that is what I came up with. It seems to have worked.

Have you checked the trunk to see if it is still green?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I don't know, when inspecting mine, I found the roots, from the nebari down to not be in the best of shape. Knowing how well they root, that is what I came up with. It seems to have worked.

Have you checked the trunk to see if it is still green?

Nope.. I was afraid to do anything. Can I scrape it a little bit or peel some bark away?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting one for you guys.
Had a Serissa s, in an umbrella pot for years, just thickening
the trunk.
February was a month of high 60's for 10 hrs at night.
Additionally full sun.

Now the shrub has tiny leaves and they keep falling.
Either the expected rain will save it.
Or it will die.

Very sad, been growing for years.[ tears emoticon]
Sadly
Anthony

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Serissa will drop their leaves to almost any climate change, but will usually bounce back as long as you care for it properly.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Serissa will drop their leaves to almost any climate change, but will usually bounce back as long as you care for it properly.

It's been like this for just over 2 months. I've watered it and had it in filtered sun for that whole time. If it comes back, it comes back if not it will suck but oh well. I shouldn't have bare rooted it into bonsai soil.. it was in potting soil when I got it but I think I damaged the roots when I repotted it.. mellow said the roots are super delicate...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

the Serissa s [ Chinese type ] is perhaps one of those shrubs with
Bonsai in it's middle name.

Great Bark with any age.
Fine leaves.
Fine Branching.
Have seen 3 inch to 5 inch trunks for sale in the UK.
Small delicate flowers.
Great surface roots.

Suggestion no more than three [ at 15 to 24 inches ]
you will go nuts keeping up that quality.
Good Day
Anthony

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Paul,

the Serissa s [ Chinese type ] is perhaps one of those shrubs with
Bonsai in it's middle name.

Great Bark with any age.
Fine leaves.
Fine Branching.
Have seen 3 inch to 5 inch trunks for sale in the UK.
Small delicate flowers.
Great surface roots.

Suggestion no more than three [ at 15 to 24 inches ]
you will go nuts keeping up that quality.
Good Day
Anthony

Is there any way to grow these from seed?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I changed the pot this year and I don't have a picture of it yet. This one is from a couple years ago. Like you said, not wanting to hijack this thread so when I get some photos I'll start a new one. However, @Paul F. may enjoy these.

View attachment 181863

View attachment 181864
I really like this guy. Pure white flowers it looks like?

I had too many cuttings and not enough soil and pots.. so several cuttings were stuck in the same pot, and now I have a problem. 6-9 cuttings per pot that all rooted with a Matt of intertwined roots. @Mellow Mullet , when would you go about separating them? They’re really starting to take off now, even the large one you sent ((finally)). I’d like to wire the hell out of them when I repot too.

Here’s an example. This one has 6 in it I believe.

Attachments

• 3075CF04-F8A2-4F3E-9AB2-BAC295BFF925.jpeg
    3075CF04-F8A2-4F3E-9AB2-BAC295BFF925.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 02D6C353-6B04-4F81-8CD4-02056ED39997.jpeg
    02D6C353-6B04-4F81-8CD4-02056ED39997.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 14

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Forgot to add that, of all the species I have tried in Napa oil dry, the serissa cuttings seem to like it. I guess it works well with their fibrous root systems.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had too many cuttings and not enough soil and pots.. so several cuttings were stuck in the same pot, and now I have a problem. 6-9 cuttings per pot that all rooted with a Matt of intertwined roots.

Honest you will get more feedback, even from me if you start a new thread. Also it "looks" like you have a few types there. include what they "might" be in the thread. it could turn out interesting and very informative for others ;) Put it up in Flowering with a few more close up pictures too! :p

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Honest you will get more feedback, even from me if you start a new thread. Also it "looks" like you have a few types there. include what they "might" be in the thread. it could turn out interesting and very informative for others ;)

Grimmy
Thanks, I suppose I should. I often feel like my material doesn’t constitute a new thread so I usually try not to start threads. I think I posted the larger one somewhere but I can’t remmber what thread it was. Anyway these were traded to me by John/ Mellow Mullet and I don’t even remember what all he sent, I just know some are purple, white, and doubles. The cuttings have not flowered yet I don’t think.

Top Bottom