Seasons Changing - Late Tree Feeding

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Im in soucthern CA. We don’t get a ton of season changes here. The evenings and nights have chilled off a bit. Some leaves changing color and dropping.

Do you all do a heavy or light feed late season to send them off into fall/winter proper? Just saw Bjorns new video, He likes to feed his trees before the major season changes. What’s your opinion?

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Since my trees are in development I do a heavy feed in the fall to prep for spring. As I understand it.. the fertilizer is but a nutrition supplement that can be like gas pedals that influence the type of growth needed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depending on the temperature, I feed until beginning to mid Oct the same feeding regimen I use all year.

If your trees are healthy, they don't need any special feeding to prepare for winter.

When the temperature cools, they already know what to do

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll fertilze my deciduous trees till their leaves drop and my conifers till its reliably below 50 during the day.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no point fertilizing after leaves turn or drop. Unless sap is flowing up the tree it cannot take up water (and therefore soluble nutrients) through the roots so any late fertilizer will just be wasted and washed out of the pots over the coming weeks.
The time to fertilize is a few weeks BEFORE change of colour but you should be doing regular fert applications through summer so the real question should be when to stop rather than when to give more.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Im in soucthern CA. We don’t get a ton of season changes here. The evenings and nights have chilled off a bit. Some leaves changing color and dropping.

Do you all do a heavy or light feed late season to send them off into fall/winter proper? Just saw Bjorns new video, He likes to feed his trees before the major season changes. What’s your opinion?
All above provided valid points, but speaking from a point of view of someone that has only discovered in the last 2 years the importance of applying fertilizer during autumn, i've noticed a massive difference in spring growth on my trees in comparison to following the normal gardening logic of fertilizing only during spring and summer.
But i've also recently read a number of articles of fertilizing with purpose, i cannot find the exact article at the moment, but below is a few examples on the topic. But basically they indicate that your fertilizing regime should be based on the development phase of your tree in conjunction with the season and your specific climate, a tree in refinement might not be fertilized at all during autumn for example, where as a in development tree might be fertilized heavily. Also i see your usda zone is 10B and might be fairly similar to my own ie, the lowest day/night time winter temperatures this year was 16C/5C respectively, which is relatively hot and could mean certain trees don't go completely dormant and these tree might require fertilizer through out the winter, like some of mine.

Example articles

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There is no point fertilizing after leaves turn or drop. Unless sap is flowing up the tree it cannot take up water (and therefore soluble nutrients) through the roots so any late fertilizer will just be wasted and washed out of the pots over the coming weeks.
The time to fertilize is a few weeks BEFORE change of colour but you should be doing regular fert applications through summer so the real question should be when to stop rather than when to give more.
Spot on, Neil. Thank you

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's green, I feed as usual. Stop when they drop. So my evergreen trees get fed all year. But then, I don't really have a dormant season.

Top Bottom