Color difference between seasons

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only had this tree a few seasons, but I'm curious what could cause such a difference on bloom color, and maybe what's considered the more desirable? The more healthy tree? I repotted this year, trimmed up roots, used a little pumice in the mix, no fertilizer yet. A little top dressing of Alabama, removed the moss. The lighter color blooms are least season, darker currently opening up. Mostly just curious, is the tree going in the right direction....

Thanks!

B

Attachments

• 7F995E1A-32B8-479E-BBDE-BBEBD78B0C9C.jpeg
    7F995E1A-32B8-479E-BBDE-BBEBD78B0C9C.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3208.jpeg
    IMG_3208.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 25

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Higher temperatures usually lead to a lower pH of water.
A lower pH influences the nutrient and metal availability, which influence flower color.

Also, most biological processes are temperature related and it's very well possible that certain colors require a certain temperature to become expressed at a higher level.

For instance: A reduced anthiocyan presence due to an increase in temperature can cause more oxygen radicals to be present in the sap stream, which might turn pink "dye" into a more red, sometimes by diminishing or converting the compound that causes a white color. This is speculation though, but I see these color changes in the lab all the time and we make good use of it, and most of these chemicals originate from plants.

If you have any kurkuma in your kitchen cabinet, sprinkle some on a tissue paper and spray it with a high pH detergent (usually kitchen cleaning stuff is high pH); it will turn from yellow to dark red.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A little top dressing of Alabama, removed the moss.
There’s your answer! Top dressed it with Alabama, and now it’s crimson, Roll Tide!

Multi-colored azalea flowers tend to go red over time. Protect the white-flowered branches and prune the red-flowered ones more heavily to keep them in check. Pretty tree both ways, interesting morph.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do not know how a variety like Yata no Kagami produces their pale spots or pale flowers. It is a satsuki variety with a different colour change dynamic from most others.
And I have no experience with this variety myself. Yata no Kagami is one of the few varieties where normal red flowers turn into ones with pale spots, pale with red tips, or it makes them completely pale.
Either your plant is Yata no Kagami, or has the same trait.

Higher temperatures usually lead to a lower pH of water.
A lower pH influences the nutrient and metal availability, which influence flower color.

Also, most biological processes are temperature related and it's very well possible that certain colors require a certain temperature to become expressed at a higher level.

For instance: A reduced anthiocyan presence due to an increase in temperature can cause more oxygen radicals to be present in the sap stream, which might turn pink "dye" into a more red, sometimes by diminishing or converting the compound that causes a white color. This is speculation though, but I see these color changes in the lab all the time and we make good use of it, and most of these chemicals originate from plants.

If you have any kurkuma in your kitchen cabinet, sprinkle some on a tissue paper and spray it with a high pH detergent (usually kitchen cleaning stuff is high pH); it will turn from yellow to dark red.

pH definitely influences the colour of the anthocyanin pigments. However, azaleas are very good at regulating their cellular pHs. So the environmental pH should have no effect at all on the flower colour.
Other species like Hydrangeas can be given different shades by adjusting soil pH.

Defenitely this is an example of expression levels of some enzymes related in the buildup or breakdown of pigments. Or possibly even their transport.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There’s your answer! Top dressed it with Alabama, and now it’s crimson, Roll Tide!

Multi-colored azalea flowers tend to go red over time. Protect the white-flowered branches and prune the red-flowered ones more heavily to keep them in check. Pretty tree both ways, interesting morph.I was looks uniform, they all made the change -
I was going to say it looked uniform, but two small branches kept the pink - the majority went red, but definitely not all. Roll Tide. 😉
B

Top Bottom