Scott’s 6 year JBP Contest Entry

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Curious in seeing what the succes rate for these cuttings will be. I'm going to try Jonas' methods too.
Hats off for the Duke!

Reaction score
You might be disappointed with the result. Success Rate will be too high. Thanks for the photo's of the process. Looks like i did things right a few years ago. Will you try a second root cutting?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You might be disappointed with the result. Success Rate will be too high. Thanks for the photo's of the process. Looks like i did things right a few years ago. Will you try a second root cutting?

I’ve not decided about that yet. Perhaps if My success rate was too high, LOL.

S

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you covering these to provide some extra humidity?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok. wow. its been pretty hot already here. im trying to figure out if they need some sort of cover to help retain humidity after the seedlings are cut. Ive seen where some cover but just curious as to what you were doing.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well. 79 are still kicking, but 39 have not made it. Maybe a cover is a good idea? I’ll use one with the next batch and see if I get higher success rate.

39287D49-2CD2-4D53-B997-F79F602ABD01.jpeg232C2D66-0C5B-4550-9139-D39C91E6F036.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
BTW - this batch was the set of sinkers that I cold stratified for 2 weeks. Germination rate was 102 out of 116 or 88%. I took 96 cuttings out of the 102 seedlings - the other 6 were late bloomers that I got rid of. Germination rate of the floaters was 23 out of 27 or an 85% germination rate with the same 2 week stratification period. In other words, no difference in germination rate between the sinkers and the floaters. Floaters appear to be just as strong and at the same stage of growth as the sinkers with the first set of cotelydons extending. Here are the floaters. I’ll take cuttings of them today as well.
View attachment 178384

Interesting. Learned something from that.

Scott

Interesting to note. If you recall, the first batch I cold stratified for two weeks. The second batch I cold stratified for about five weeks.

In the first batch, I had an 88% germination rate. In the second batch, I had 93 viable seeds out of 120 planted, or a 78% germination rate. So at least in my little study, there was no evidence that the extra stratification time helped.

Out of the 93 seedlings, 23 of them were late bloomers. I’ll hold off on these until next weekend.

Scott

Vic N

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Well. 79 are still kicking, but 39 have not made it. Maybe a cover is a good idea? I’ll use one with the next batch and see if I get higher success rate.

View attachment 180306View attachment 180307

S
I went through this process last year, and covered all cuttings. Had 100% success, but on a much smaller scale

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Robert. I did not cover them. They’re in my greenhouse - humidity is quite high.

S
Scott, amazing thread as always and we've only just begun.
I covered mine with a plastic bag since I don't have a greenhouse. Should I leave them in full sun still? I feel like they'll bake to death in there in this heat

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, amazing thread as always and we've only just begun.
I covered mine with a plastic bag since I don't have a greenhouse. Should I leave them in full sun still? I feel like they'll bake to death in there in this heat

No - I don’t think I’d recommend that you put them in the full sun until they’re established.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have me six week cuttings in full sun till about 3 or 4 in coastal Alabama and they seem to be doing fine.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have me six week cuttings in full sun till about 3 or 4 in coastal Alabama and they seem to be doing fine.
Are yours covered with plastic though? I'm not so worried about the sun itself as much as I am the fact that they're sitting in a plastic oven

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are yours covered with plastic though? I'm not so worried about the sun itself as much as I am the fact that they're sitting in a plastic oven

No longer covered, but still in the greenhouse. I had less than a 50% success rate, but there’re a bunch doing fine.

Top Bottom