Rudd’s California Juniper #2

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s probably time to start a progress thread on this tree. I posted my initial styling in my Apprenticeship thread, but I’ll post the pictures again here.

I initially styled this tree belonging to David Nguy in November 2022.

IMG_8068.jpeg
IMG_8069.jpeg

There were a couple issues with this initial styling, first that the tree needed to put on a lot of foliage, and more importantly, that stick straight apex. The perfectly vertical apex branch was an eyesore, and made the foliage seem disconnected from the trunk. It looked like a triangle of green floating off in space.

At that time I really wanted to bend that apex branch to the right to engage with the trunk more, but the issue was that there was very little live vein on that branch, it was mostly deadwood, which would make it risky to bend. Sensei Nguy instructed me not to bend it.

Flash forward 6 months and I bought the tree from him and brought it home. All the while that apex bothered me while the tree grew.

Well, January 2024 it’s my tree now, nobody to stop me. I split and carved away a large portion of the deadwood, put in a wire spine and raffia. Bent with a guy wire.
IMG_8029.jpegIMG_8034.jpeg

Before bending:
IMG_8035.jpeg

After bending:
IMG_8037.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg

And after completely wiring the whole tree. The new design makes the foliage and the trunk feel more unified. Compressing the apex to just below the highest point of the cascading trunk and growing the branches in towards the pot help with this. There is a whip I’m growing out to be a new back branch that will fill in more space on the lower right by the pot as well.

IMG_8071.jpeg

Now I need a better pot to replace this Chinese production thing. Open to suggestions, my initial thought is a deep round. Paging @NaoTK

Amazing work!

Had the tree ever been styled before you worked on it in 2022, or was that the raw stock?

It’s probably time to start a progress thread on this tree. I posted my initial styling in my Apprenticeship thread, but I’ll post the pictures again here.

I initially styled this tree belonging to David Nguy in November 2022.

View attachment 526836
View attachment 526837

There were a couple issues with this initial styling, first that the tree needed to put on a lot of foliage, and more importantly, that stick straight apex. The perfectly vertical apex branch was an eyesore, and made the foliage seem disconnected from the trunk. It looked like a triangle of green floating off in space.

At that time I really wanted to bend that apex branch to the right to engage with the trunk more, but the issue was that there was very little live vein on that branch, it was mostly deadwood, which would make it risky to bend. Sensei Nguy instructed me not to bend it.

Flash forward 6 months and I bought the tree from him and brought it home. All the while that apex bothered me while the tree grew.

Well, January 2024 it’s my tree now, nobody to stop me. I split and carved away a large portion of the deadwood, put in a wire spine and raffia. Bent with a guy wire.
View attachment 526839View attachment 526840

Before bending:
View attachment 526843

After bending:
View attachment 526842
View attachment 526841

And after completely wiring the whole tree. The new design makes the foliage and the trunk feel more unified. Compressing the apex to just below the highest point of the cascading trunk and growing the branches in towards the pot help with this. There is a whip I’m growing out to be a new back branch that will fill in more space on the lower right by the pot as well.

View attachment 526838

Now I need a better pot to replace this Chinese production thing. Open to suggestions, my initial thought is a deep round. Paging @NaoTK
DA96C629-F1D0-4335-A80C-CF7FD89326B0.jpeg

Question! How high can you raise the rootball above the soil? Just to give it more vertical height and visual mass before it then drops down. All the business is down there, so my inclination is to raise the trunk and use a more interesting pot like a many-lobed pot or something. but yeah a rounded feeling. smaller pot?
1706833626277.png

If you went super cascade does it buy anything design wise?

1706833592524.png

Question! How high can you raise the rootball above the soil? Just to give it more vertical height and visual mass before it then drops down. All the business is down there, so my inclination is to raise the trunk and use a more interesting pot like a many-lobed pot or something. but yeah a rounded feeling. smaller pot?
View attachment 526882

If you went super cascade does it buy anything design wise?

View attachment 526881

No idea whats under that soil, but my goal is to elevate it out of the pot a little as you described. I dont thing angling it down helps the design, I like the position of the deadwood as is. I like the lobed pot idea, and definitely smaller. This one is 13” square.

Oh man, what a beautiful and well-styled tree.
The foliage looks good too from what I can see. I'm not super familiar with foliage types between your native junipers but it seems commonly 'poor' enough for people to want or 'need' to graft in something denser.

Oh man, what a beautiful and well-styled tree.
The foliage looks good too from what I can see. I'm not super familiar with foliage types between your native junipers but it seems commonly 'poor' enough for people to want or 'need' to graft in something denser.

Thank you. California juniper foliage is much nicer than some other species, like rocky mountain.

I asked Bjorn for advice on pot selection for this tree. He likes a more square pot, with some flare or taper to the sides. A lobed squarish round was his idea, which I think could be cool.

Maybe a tall, unglazed version of this Nao Tokutake pot, with the walls slightly more bowed out.

IMG_8277.jpeg

Last edited:
hello, I made a few virtuals. I dunno what you think, but IMO the last pot is better ->

________DSCN44.jpg
________DSCN44virt2.jpg

You have the chance to know Bjorn, did you ask him about changing a little the inclination of the trunk ?

I tried to lower it a little more, if the nebari allows it. My2cents : the line of the trunk is better when we lower it a little (more elegant movement of the deadwood, no horizontal line of the trunk) but maybe the nebari/base of the trunk will be weaker in that inclination ? .. just my feeling. It is a very good tree and styling whatever the trunk inclination :D

________DSCN44virt1.jpg
________DSCN44virt5.jpg

Lime sulfured. And I bought a backdrop. View attachment 527053
Now you just need to buy an iron….jk😂

Really though. I like the pot in the first virtual that Clem did. Something about the hard lines and frame within the pot that contrasts and highlights the movement in your tree that is appealing to me. Great tree Rudd

Lots of things to think about. Thanks for the virts @clem and the opinion @Hartinez

Now I need to think about making a stand too.

I asked Bjorn for advice on pot selection for this tree. He likes a more square pot, with some flare or taper to the sides. A lobed squarish round was his idea, which I think could be cool.

Maybe a tall, unglazed version of this Nao Tokutake pot, with the walls slightly more bowed out.

View attachment 530941
806429CC-C16B-4887-BE4B-234165447258.jpeg
???

I like the shape of the second pot, but i like the color of the first pot. I'm no help. :D

Very nice tree! I'm no help either as I kinda like them all

Back
Top Bottom