Rosemary or bougainvillea purple bonsai which is easier to care for

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I seen a cascading rosemary...that caught my eye. Yet the bougainvillea purple bonsai is the tree that caught my son's and my eye while in Honduras. So sentimentally...I am considering waiting to locate one of those that speak to me.

Then am curious...which of the two are the easiest to care for? Since I'm new to Bonsai. It maybe best to choose easiest to care for.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
While I've seen a few very nice rosemary bonsai, every one I have tried has died, and they have a reputation of not being an easy-to-care-for species.

Bougainvillea on the other hand are easy, but they do not take to very cold weather.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Appreciate your knowledge first hand. Seen a pretty cascading one...but was not sure about it. The Bougainvillea was a tree that my son even did a homework project about that was given last school year...due at the beginning of this school year. He thought it unusual that the bloom looked like the leaf changed colors. We sat under a very old one on the patio...and had a nice meal.

Would the Bougainvillea fair okay in say...a sunroom setting? The room is actually built over top of a ravine. So we ca walk under it. It has windows on three sides and two large sky lights. In the winter though...it can take a chill. Not freezing. But cool...even with the floors and walls all insulated. The sides and skylights get sun...the wall facing the ravine...not so much.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
He thought it unusual that the bloom looked like the leaf changed colors.

You can tell him the the pink/purple Bougainvillea flowers are really leaves, called bracts. The flower itself is inside those bracts and is tiny and yellow.

You haven't said where you live. In the warmer parts of the country Bougainvillea do best when grown outside. They come inside when temperatures approach freezing. Generally, while they will survive indoors all the time, they will not prosper and may never bloom.

They bloom best when the soil they sit in is fairly dry.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can tell him the the pink/purple Bougainvillea flowers are really leaves, called bracts. The flower itself is inside those bracts and is tiny and yellow.

You haven't said where you live. In the warmer parts of the country Bougainvillea do best when grown outside. They come inside when temperatures approach freezing. Generally, while they will survive indoors all the time, they will not prosper and may never bloom.

They bloom best when the soil they sit in is fairly dry.

Thanks so much! And sorry about that. I guess I didn't realize I never set up my profile. (I have it set up over on another garden site. But their Bonsai section didn't get much use) I am from NE Ohio...so...I would have to bring it indoors during the cooler months. But have a spot picked out outdoors already for it.

He is a nature fella...and the trees and flowers really caught his eye. He'll LOVE to know that they have a name! The colored bracts...was somewhat vibrant purple...some seemed white and a pinkish purple on the same tree. He noticed the bolder purplish pink...I thought it an exotic color...but the two tinted ones...charming in their own right...

I don't have the photo on my phone...and our computer is basically shot. Our new one arrived yesterday...but...was not able to set it up. Or I should say...my son wasn't able to do so. Or I would post a photo of the purplish/magenta bloom. Didn't get one of the two toned one. (Not sure why) yet on the same tree.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have rosemary so I can't comment on them. Bougies are beautiful when in bloom but I feel they can be a bit finicky. They hate wet feet and hate their roots being messed with even more. Mine has always liked as much sun as I can give it.

I bring it in during the winter months once temps start getting in the low 50's. I put it under a grow light during those months to ensure it gets enough light. Wigerts Bonsai in Florida often has some decent ones for sale and Eric Wigert is an expert on them.

Good luck.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have rosemary so I can't comment on them. Bougies are beautiful when in bloom but I feel they can be a bit finicky. They hate wet feet and hate their roots being messed with even more. Mine has always liked as much sun as I can give it.

I bring it in during the winter months once temps start getting in the low 50's. I put it under a grow light during those months to ensure it gets enough light. Wigerts Bonsai in Florida often has some decent ones for sale and Eric Wigert is an expert on them.

Good luck.

I'll have to go look them up in my search...I did see they don't like lots of water...and can drop leaves from them. It was our first mission trip to a third world country...eye opening. The tree reminds me of our time there...I seen one at a nursery...an hour from my home. A small bush/tree. Curious if it worth going back to see if it is workable as well.

If it doesn't do well in the sunroom. (My tropical hibiscus thrives in there) Did put it outdoors...and we went away and had a tornado come through. Twisting branches off our trees and splitting a neighbors house in half from an old oak. The hibiscus was tossed across the yard...dropped most its leaves...but is bouncing back with green foliage. Keeping it indoors for awhile...with the winds we've been getting.

Appreciate the name of a reputable place to look! Off to go see what I may find.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Rosemary is a tough plant to work with. I'm still trying to "get it right". The branches are very brittle and, as far as I've tried, you have to clip them.

I live in zone 7a and had a hell of a time making it through the winter which wasn't bad at all. Sad to say, by mid August it was toast. I've seen some pics of stunning examples, however they've all been either from Italy or Spain.

Sorry, don't know the trick for this one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rosemary is a tough plant to work with. I'm still trying to "get it right". The branches are very brittle and, as far as I've tried, you have to clip them.

I live in zone 7a and had a hell of a time making it through the winter which wasn't bad at all. Sad to say, by mid August it was toast. I've seen some pics of stunning examples, however they've all been either from Italy or Spain.

Sorry, don't know the trick for this one.

Thanks...I figured I would ask...glad I did. A beautiful cascading one on EBay right now. Figured I could keep it indoors during the cold months. But...I'll continue to search for a Bougainvillea that catches my eye. They have one on EBay with deadwood....but I am not even wet behind the ears in bonsai...so sadly I'll pass. Found a bougainvillea I liked the look of...but wrong shade. Really want the royal purple or white and pink surprise. So I keep looking.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Forujames

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a rosemary and lots of bougies-I live in the tropics! Why not pick some plants that grow naturally in your area? You're setting yourself up to fail by going for these plants. just saying....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a rosemary and lots of bougies-I live in the tropics! Why not pick some plants that grow naturally in your area? You're setting yourself up to fail by going for these plants. just saying....

Well...we'll see since the bougie is already here. Though I have a tropical hibuscus for many of years and it has thrived.

That they/the two mentioned in the title post are tropical was never an issue...but more specific how hard were they for bonsai...I also have air plants that thrive in my care...

But...you did read my mind...I am looking into more native bonsai. What I read is bougies should be easy enough with the sun room I have attached to my home...mine is already sprouting new leaves since it has arrived. I take that as a good sign. :D

Lucky you to live in the tropics! Those tropical plants are so amazing in blooms!

Forujames

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's a big bougy for you - 19" pot. Only a few flowers now (pic just taken in the rain) It has a large hollow trunk- Its a gathered plant, purchased a few years ago from Jim Smith.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 8

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's a big bougy for you - 19" pot. Only a few flowers now (pic just taken in the rain) It has a large hollow trunk- Its a gathered plant, purchased a few years ago from Jim Smith.

That is a beautiful specimen!!! I do so appreciate your sharing a photo of it with me. We were so taken with the Bougainvillea in bloom while in Honduras. I can't begin to fantom the age of the one in the courtyard of the guest house in the city. The trunk was shockingly thick.

Top Bottom